By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How do you pronounce Natal?

How do you pronounce Natal?

NAY-Tal 38 28.57%

NU-Tal 23 17.29%

NA-Tul 25 18.80%

Natle 13 9.77%

Other-please specify! 34 25.56%

Total:133

i pronounce it like this (gar-bidge)

Around the Network
sergiodaly said:

natal is a word of my birth language so i pronounce it the right way! it means x-mas...

BTW for the english  its something like nah taal... that is the nearest way of saying it to the original sound of it!

That would be the right way if it wasn't the English word, which has little to do with your native language's meaning.

SW-5120-1900-6153

I pronounce it like the italian Natale without the e at the ending...

Nyeguy81 said:
i pronounce it like this (gar-bidge)

lololololololol.... lololol... lol... but yeah even though i say it like fatal except with an "n" instead of "f" i have to agree with kiefer 23 its microsofts product they can pronounce it any way they want and thats officially how its supposed to be said.

Na - Tell

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I called it Nay-tull until i heard it on X-Play called Nay-tall.

theprof00 said:

for the love of god, learn phonetics. It's not that hard.

it's actually: n(ei)'tal

In pronunciation respelling, it's nay-TAHL

and to simplify even more, it's

Neigh, as the horse vocalization, or nay as in "I said, 'nay', good sir"

and then tall, as in, "Yao Ming is tall"

furthermore, the emphasis is on "tall", not "nay". In your OP selections, capitalized sections means that is where the emphasis is. Like EM-pha-sis, not em-PHA-sis

Phonetics are well overrated.  I taught English as a foreign language for 5 years to students who had learned phonetics for many years previous and they were still crap at pronunciation.  They fail to render subtle differences in pronunciation which occur between languages and even in regional accents. 

For example I don't think the 'tal' in Natal would sound quite like the English tall as you state in your admittedly well thought out rant :)

My take, Natal sounds exactly like the guy who came up with it says it sounds. 

hsrob said:
theprof00 said:

for the love of god, learn phonetics. It's not that hard.

it's actually: n(ei)'tal

In pronunciation respelling, it's nay-TAHL

and to simplify even more, it's

Neigh, as the horse vocalization, or nay as in "I said, 'nay', good sir"

and then tall, as in, "Yao Ming is tall"

furthermore, the emphasis is on "tall", not "nay". In your OP selections, capitalized sections means that is where the emphasis is. Like EM-pha-sis, not em-PHA-sis

Phonetics are well overrated.  I taught English as a foreign language for 5 years to students who had learned phonetics for many years previous and they were still crap at pronunciation.  They fail to render subtle differences in pronunciation which occur between languages and even in regional accents. 

For example I don't think the 'tal' in Natal would sound quite like the English tall as you state in your admittedly well thought out rant :)

My take, Natal sounds exactly like the guy who came up with it says it sounds. 

rightly so, but my beef is with the many variations of the same sound people are saying. Nah'tahl, Nuh'tahl, nah'tal, na'taal. The problem with sounding things out in this way is that people forget that there are regional accents and pronunciations for those sequences. Those have incredibly different sounds depending on who you talk to. The only way to really explain, is to give the exact sound with actual words. The second best way, is to use IPA.

Naval
Fatal
Natal

:)

mibuokami said:
Naval
Fatal
Natal

:)

Fatal-Natal. I like it.