By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - WW sales for the three consoles for week ending November 17th/18th

The Wii broke the  400k barrier by a definite margin, the last time such a feet gad taken place was all the way back to December 2006. It is worth noting that these numbers have been proppeled to such heights thanks to the release of one major title, SMG, and other good(RE :UC, GH3, RRR3 etc)  titles over a short timepsan. It is worth noticing that we can expect even greater sales in the upcoming week as there have been plenty of signs(TRU special Wii deals, black friday, news from europe regarding amazon etc) suggesting even greater sales in both USA and Europe. It may be good on our side to get prepared for a shocker, a 500k+ week sale, some 28 days before christmas..Sales may be even higher if Japan finally kicks into gear for the soon to be had holidays. Other than that, plenty of promising software to still be released in the land of the rising sun.

The xbox360 outsold the PS3....by a very small margin, less than 2k units. Even so, the hardware sales for the US and Europe are fairly good (250k combined) at this point of the year, one must commend the xbox for putting up such a fight against the PS3 despite practically null sales in Japan(5k). Over 150 k units sold in the US and no wonder, with a massive release lineup over the last weeks, the xbox has steadingly been moving units to consumer hands through such titles as Orange box, GH3, Assassins Creed, CoD4 and so on.  Strangely though, hardware sales didn't rise (imo though) as one would expect with such a host of good games. Still, MS's product continues to dominate software sales overall and that is key.

PS3 clearly gaining momentum all around, except for Japan, which is starting to show signs of lack of proper software in that region, nearly caught up to the xbox360 with a sound 253k units sold.  At this point it is still unsafe imo to estimate short term sales till januaury 2008, as continued delays of important titles (Haze, UT) and less than great  media coverage on already released supposed system sellers might push away potential buyers. Add poor software performance  code-wise compared  to xbox counterparts and a four times smaller userbase, we get the full picture of Sony's not too good situation. Thankfully with the release of such titles as R&C:ToD, Assassins Creed and Uncharted, Sony gave potential owners a reason to buy their system. Add to that good games just around the new year corner, and we might end up with boosted Ps3 sales during the christmas holidays, though probably nowhere near wii levels and rather campareable to the xboxs'

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

Around the Network

UT III has been confirmed for this year by Mark Rein 11th Decemberish, so that is a plus for PS3.
Japanese sales for PS3 staying the same is good after last weeks massive boost, and US hardware sales are increasing steadily, although I must say that they need uncharted to give them a boost (I would expect plus 120,000 sales true first week) and needs to win properly in Europe to beat Xbox overall, but the PS3s dire situation is improving

Hmm if sony really wants a victory, they need to beat the 360 considerably for a bit, forcing a price cut down MS throat, cause right now MS is just singing since they are keeping up with sales (and they forced sony into ANOTHER price cut) and making money on each system

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

oh and btw, as this is my first try to give a....well an thorough breakdown and tried to leave out any hate i might have for any of the systems, how did i do? did i fail?????? (oh noessssss!!)

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting. 

The PS3 though is on quicksand and they are riding a surge still from the price cut. Usually these fall within a couple of weeks whereas the 360 has maintained the same level of sales for quite a while now mostly on Halo 3 and other similar games.

Around the Network

Well last week when we got the sales Ps3 was behind 360 by 15K

now SUDDENLY last weeks data has been changed n Ps3 is beating 360 by 15K

maybe it beat 360 this week as well

^^^^^just speculation tho...

Apart from that BRILLIANT sales & mainly "software" all round

Supporter of

SONY & Nintendo

Consoles owned - SNES, N64, PS, GC, PS2, PSP, PS3

I DO NOT support Xbox

My prediction for YEARS END:

WII - 18.3 Million

Xbox 360 - 15 Million

Playstation 3 - 8.5 Million

there is probably a 10-15% margin of error. These are all estimates.

its doing well considering its bad publicity, lack of quality games and VERY tough competition. if sony werent so cocky, arrogant and complacent, sony would be jizzing over christmas right now.

DOATS1 said:
its doing well considering its bad publicity, lack of quality games and VERY tough competition. if sony werent so cocky, arrogant and complacent, sony would be jizzing over christmas right now.

Do you still live at E3 06?

This year Sony have worked hard, given the consumer what they want, and produced two brilliant games, and generally done a good job this year

Munkeh111 said:
DOATS1 said:

Do you still live at E3 06?

This year Sony have worked hard, given the consumer what they want, and produced two brilliant games, and generally done a good job this year

thats what i meant, they did a good job this year, but their actions last year is why they are barely last this year.