By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Much Will the PSP's New $169.99 Price Effect Sales?

No Dallas, you said the statement was probably BS because they wouldn't shift resources to the Wii as that would be giving up the handheld market to the PSP. My rant is that "shifting resources" is a perfectly normal thing that happens all the time in all companies and does not in any way mean that another department is being ignored. The statement isn't BS, they said they're shifting resources to the Wii and I bet they are. But the DS will still recieve a lot of attention from the big N.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

30$ ? PSP for $169.99 is a great choice. Definitely better than PSP for $199.99 I think sale will increase a bit. Lets say about 25k a month.

jman8 said:
The PSP is already on track to do better this year than last, and this price drop will ensure that more brisk pace for a few months. If there is in fact a redesign this fall, that will keep sales strong, and that's not even factoring in the solid titles coming out in the last half of the year. This could be a comeback year for the PSP

Actually, sales have been tracking downwards. This is to keep any momentum going. Its a pity for Sony, as the PSP is one item that *is* making them lots of profit. Nintendo aren't anywhere near dropping the price (or profit level) on the DS... yet.

(and as mentioned, this could well be clearing of stock for a new model- although does this price cut affect existing PSP's in stock? Do retailers get some money back from Sony? If this just covers new stock, won't retailers be pissed - have to sell the older, more expensive PSP's to consumers for less?)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

@ shams

Downwards? Not in Japan nor in Europe. PS3 boosts PSP sales and MHF2 started really good flow for PSP in Japan. New Gundam, FFT, FFI and FFII will keep it for a while. BTW I'm sick to death with "anti-sony no matter what attitude" - price drop is always a good thing. "How about retailers?" - man give me a break...

Nintendo is not getting out of the handheld market, they made 4.5 billion dollars in the 2005 Fiscal year, you think that was from the Gamecube?

Around the Network

A 30 dollar price drop isnt big news ,still it will make things a bit easier for the handheld .It isnt selling bad at all ,but next to the DS it doesnt look good .

Why the people buy the DS is kind of odd .Yes we know there is the granny-girlie games as Brain Training and Nintendogs ,plus the hardcore nintendo games Mario ,Zelda ,Mario Kart ,Metroid and such .Still is difficult to avoid the fact that 80% of the software released for it is utter crap and very few great games comes along .This year it has only had Lunar Knights as a "good " title and now Puzzle Quest wich is worse than the PSP version ...we could mention also Prof Layton in Japan ,maybe .While it sold by the bucketloads and hadnt nearly any playable game (let alone a must buy ) in the last months the PSP has been selling OK at best all the while it has received games as Virtua Tennis 3 ,Puzzle Quest ,Call of Duty ,Afterburner Black Falcon ,Monster Hunter 2 ,Ratchet & Clank Size Matters ,PES 6 ,Sid Meier Pirates ,Metal Gear Solid PO ......really the arguing about the DS having "better games " doesnt hold any ground since a lot of time .

It's just that the DS has handheld-portable games. The PSP has console-like games and big loading times. When you are looking for a handheld which plays like a handheld the only choice is the DS.

shams said:
jman8 said:
The PSP is already on track to do better this year than last, and this price drop will ensure that more brisk pace for a few months. If there is in fact a redesign this fall, that will keep sales strong, and that's not even factoring in the solid titles coming out in the last half of the year. This could be a comeback year for the PSP

Actually, sales have been tracking downwards. This is to keep any momentum going. Its a pity for Sony, as the PSP is one item that *is* making them lots of profit. Nintendo aren't anywhere near dropping the price (or profit level) on the DS... yet.

(and as mentioned, this could well be clearing of stock for a new model- although does this price cut affect existing PSP's in stock? Do retailers get some money back from Sony? If this just covers new stock, won't retailers be pissed - have to sell the older, more expensive PSP's to consumers for less?)

Shams, the data isn't on this site anymore, but PSP sales for January and February of this year are better than last year. With the price drop, I can't imagine the PSP not surpassing the first six months of 2006.

My Top 5:

Shadow of the Colossus, Metal Gear Solid 3, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, Chrono Trigger

My 2 nex-gen systems: PS3 and Wii

Prediction Aug '08: We see the PSP2 released fall '09. Graphically, it's basically the same as the current system. UMD drive ditched and replaced by 4-8gb on board flash memory. Other upgrades: 2nd analog nub, touchscreen, blutooth, motion sensor. Design: Flip-style or slider. Size: Think Iphone. Cost: $199. Will be profitable on day 1.

It will boost it a little, but not enough that Nintendo is going to respond with a DS price cut of their own anytime soon. With Pokemon coming out this month there's no chance in hell the PSP sells half of what the DS does in the next few months. I think we're at the point if the two system were priced exactly the same the DS would still sell better, albeit by a slim margin. Maybe Sony will have a better chance to compete with the PSP 2, but the race of this gens handhelds was decided the day the DS Lite came out. Now Sony just has to try to salvage a decent base to build on.

I think that the price cut will ultimately increase sales as well, just keep in mind that Sony's remake of the PSP will probably cause some delays in new games coming out for the new model, b/c game developers are going to have to figure out how to use the new machine and code for it.

Also, keep in mind that this represents a reversal in sony's strategy of having the best quality products on the market, which b/c of pricing, has been bad for the company.  This might be an indication of the PS3's future remake if they can't eventually be bumped up.