By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Red Steel 2 or: How I learned to love motion controls!

Rainbird said:
blunty51 said:
GOD i hate x-play. They gave RS1 a 3/5 and gave this game the SAME SCORE. Doesn't that imply that it didn't improve at all?? Isn't that....yuh know...not true??

GEEZ.

No, it just means that it's a 3/5 game. And standards have changed, launch titles usually get much more leeway than titles that come this late in the generation.

Yes, but that 'fine print' isn't found anywhere when you look at something like metacritic (which everyone seems to value)

Based on what you just said it sounds like you're in agreement with the 3/5 score then.

Around the Network
blunty51 said:
Rainbird said:
blunty51 said:
GOD i hate x-play. They gave RS1 a 3/5 and gave this game the SAME SCORE. Doesn't that imply that it didn't improve at all?? Isn't that....yuh know...not true??

GEEZ.

No, it just means that it's a 3/5 game. And standards have changed, launch titles usually get much more leeway than titles that come this late in the generation.

Yes, but that 'fine print' isn't found anywhere when you look at something like metacritic (which everyone seems to value)

Based on what you just said it sounds like you're in agreement with the 3/5 score then.

Not at all, but I think they're entitled to their opinion. If they think it's a 3/5 game, then fair enough.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
I played it yesterday, thought the IR controls for gun/camera were pretty meh considered how MoH Heroes 2 still has better IR gun controls, then when some motions didn't register and in the end its just another swing instead of button press, yes its much better than most of the crap on the Wii as far as motion controls go, yes its MUCH better than the original Red Steel, but I've seen how well the WM+ controls work for sword fighting on Wii Sports Resort and it didn't live up to that.

So... for right now I'm in the mindset that Tiger Woods did better WM+ controls, Wii Sports Resort did better sword controls, and games that came out years ago have better gun/camera controls, so what does the game have going for it? Well the game itself... and so far it's really boring to me, I'm trying to give it time, but last night it got to the point I just had to put it down and play Cave Story and Pokemon because that shit got boring lol.

The art and character design is fine, the world they tried to create is nice, but its not dazzling. In fact for as many people that bashed the shit out of The Conduit for being a lot of linear paths and just being fight this mob of enemies, rise and repeat, so far Red Steel 2 is feeling that way. But man on top of this the voice acting (other than the old man) is making me cringe.

Honestly I REALLY hope this changes, but so far all things considered... I have no idea why this is getting decent scores, but I'm going to truck on a bit more and hope it gets good.

I think it is weird how EA pretty much perfected that form of control but hasn't done shit else with it in the years since MOH: Heroes 2 came out. I figured RS2 would be an improvement, but doing the swordfighting better than Nintendo themselves in WSR, I can't say I expected that.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Rainbird said:
blunty51 said:
Rainbird said:
blunty51 said:

GEEZ.

Not at all, but I think they're entitled to their opinion. If they think it's a 3/5 game, then fair enough.

Oh i see you're taking that route. I'll drop it then. No sense sulking more than I have

Ok I did go buy it and have put in a couple hours, here are my thoughts.

1) Its the best motion based core video game on Wii, by a rediculous margin. As far as delivering an awesome good time it also beats Zelda TP, MP3 Corruption and pretty much every other core title from Nintendo except for Galaxy. I'm a huge Galaxy fan personally.

2) The sword controls are different (less tactile for sure) from Wii Resort, BUT, thats completely ok within the RS2 design. What RS2 does is weave the gunplay and swordplay together flawlessly, Sports Resort style swordplay could have easily introduced flaws into that core flow. So far in my play time proper sword blocking is grossly under utilized though, hopefully that changes later on.  The base swordplay design found in Wii Resort is superior imo to the method used in RS2, but the fully realized Wii Resort design is no where near as complex as the fully realized RS2 design.

3) RS2 is already having a subliminal effect on my mind. I saw a God of War 3 commercial about 20 minutes ago and my gut reaction without thinking was that it looked absolutely rediculous. Here was this epic crazy battle going on on screen, and then you have this comatose guy sitting on the couch barely moving a muscle. I experienced a complete cognitive disconnect from the old school. I have seen the exact same commercial for weeks now and never had that sensation until today.

4) I WANT MOAR GAMES FOR M+!!!

Edit: as for how RS2 could get a 3/5...  Its because the whole review system is nonsensically broken at this point.  I'm sure RS2 lost points for not having story elements or having a bit too much load times or stuff like that.  Its a bunch of semi intelegent people missing the forest and writting about the trees.

Around the Network

so i just bought the game and i beat the frist three missions and now i got to go find that tamiko girl, but i've got stuff i got to do and i didn't see anywhere to save it and it didn't say anything in the maual about saves. Can I not save it until later? or does it auto save? anyone help me out here....i would play on, but i 've got stuff to do. thanks in avdance.

TheGameFather said:

2) The sword controls are different (less tactile for sure) from Wii Resort, BUT, thats completely ok within the RS2 design. What RS2 does is weave the gunplay and swordplay together flawlessly, Sports Resort style swordplay could have easily introduced flaws into that core flow. So far in my play time proper sword blocking is grossly under utilized though, hopefully that changes later on.

It does, don't worry.

And I'm glad you agree with me on the game!

@ chriscox1121

It autosaves, you can quit and it will save

Rainbird said:
TheGameFather said:

2) The sword controls are different (less tactile for sure) from Wii Resort, BUT, thats completely ok within the RS2 design. What RS2 does is weave the gunplay and swordplay together flawlessly, Sports Resort style swordplay could have easily introduced flaws into that core flow. So far in my play time proper sword blocking is grossly under utilized though, hopefully that changes later on.

It does, don't worry.

@ chriscox1121

appreciate that

chriscox1121 said:
so i just bought the game and i beat the frist three missions and now i got to go find that tamiko girl, but i've got stuff i got to do and i didn't see anywhere to save it and it didn't say anything in the maual about saves. Can I not save it until later? or does it auto save? anyone help me out here....i would play on, but i 've got stuff to do. thanks in avdance.

It auto saves everytime you finish a mission for sure, not sure if there are any other auto save points.

Rainbird said:
TheGameFather said:

It does, don't worry.

@ chriscox1121

How could I not agree?  :)

I defy any serious gamer interested in motion controls to play RS2 for two hours and not like it, its what we've been waiting for.  Theres still a lot of room for improvement, but compared to everything else on the market theres no contest.