By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - KWAAD VS JOHN LUCAS (We'll See Who's DELUDED!)

dantheengineer said:
OK John, I read many of your posts and think hmmm... that could be possible, but RE5 Wii exclusive? That is delusional. I understand the argument that RE4 was a test and was successful, which will lead to a Wii exclusive RE game, absolutely. But it won't be RE5.

You do know that a trailer has already been released for RE5 on the Xbox360, right? Have you seen the trailer? While I believe that the Wii has a better graphical capacity than most people give it credit for, RE5 appears to push the limits of even the 360 or PS3. There is no way that they would scrap the piece of art they are making for a downgraded version, even if it would have 10x better controls, as RE4 showed. The graphics are just too good.

That being said, if you were to predict RE6 being Wii exclusive, or a Wii exclusive spinoff, I would buy that in a heartbeat. But RE5 as Wii exclusive is delusional, and I don't even think they will make a Wii version.

How about this theory.... RE4 was the Wii test. RE5 is the Xbox360/PS3 test. The winner will decide where RE6 goes.

The issue with idea is that there is a lot more time, effort, and money being invested in RE5 than the RE4 Wiimake.  It's just too much to spend on a "test."  The RE4 Wiimake only needed a few hundred thousand to be a successful venture.  However, I'm sure that Capcom would need much more from RE5 to make it profitable.   I really don't see them using such a big project as a test.

Around the Network
dantheengineer said:
RE4 was the Wii test. RE5 is the Xbox360/PS3 test. The winner will decide where RE6 goes.

Wrong, they can't seriously decide which platform they'll base RE6 on by comparing a highly anticipated sequel (RE5) with a 2 year old port (RE4).

That being said i don't think Wii is getting RE5, probably a spin-off but not on rails this time, or even better a RE2 remake with RE4 gameplay system (that explains why RE2 is absent from the RE:UC). 

RE5 is still extremely uncertain. First of all it's coming out in 2009 at the earliest, and we can't say with any great detail what the gaming market will look like then. It's also coming from Capcom, a company that has a great history with Nintendo, as well as a known tendency to abandon platforms that aren't doing too well.

Ubisoft was smart, supported the Wii from the start, and made a killing with Raving Rabbids and Red Steel. Now Capcom has the chance to be the first to bring one of their core franchises over, and really rake in the cash. Lots of people seem to think the Wii will only get spin-offs, but RE4 has showed how much better quality games sell on the system, and we can be damn sure Capcom has noticed as well.

Besides, we've all seen the RE5 trailer. It's basically RE4 in Africa with HD graphics and a few more moving objects. They'll probably have some pretty big bosses or whatever, but I doubt there's going to anything the Wii will be unable to run in SD.

All that said, I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to this game.. The people who started the series and returned to make it great with the fourth part have long since left Capcom. Probably a bit of bias from me, since the guys who left are some of my favorite developers (the guys behind Okami, Viewtiful Joe, DMC and other masterpieces), but I can't see 5 being all that impressive compared to 4.

tl;dr: It would be logical for Capcom to release RE5 on the Wii, and there's nothing stopping them from doing it, but it'll probably suck anyway.

Oh, and they've announced that they're currently working on Bionic Commando, DMC4, Dark Void, and a bunch of other games for the 360 and PS3, but their Wii lineup consists of only a port of Okami and Monster Hunter 3. Moving RE5 to the Wii would make their roster look much more sensible, especially when everyone is talking about developers shifting resources for the Wii.

You nintendo fans truly are delusional. 60 million by the end of next year? The ds hasnt even sold that many units and its been out for at least 3 years and sells like crazy. RE5 being ported over to wii exclusively? Are you serious? I cant believe that someone can sit there and make these ridiculous statements and get a cult following for it. I have nothing agaist nintedo fans, seeing as how i am playing pokemon emerald, but at least get your head out of your ass and come back to reality.

dabaus513 said:
You nintendo fans truly are delusional. 60 million by the end of next year? The ds hasnt even sold that many units and its been out for at least 3 years and sells like crazy. RE5 being ported over to wii exclusively? Are you serious? I cant believe that someone can sit there and make these ridiculous statements and get a cult following for it. I have nothing agaist nintedo fans, seeing as how i am playing pokemon emerald, but at least get your head out of your ass and come back to reality.

You nintendo fans? Other than JL, who else is saying this?

Around the Network

Kwaad still around? I thought he left the site due to the PS3 sucking it up. John aka nostradamus, Lucas ftw. ;)

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Now johnlucas, when you say RE5 exclusively for Wii, you mean a spinoff, I trust?

I, Rubang B, agree with everything John Lucas will ever say. He really saves me a lot of time. I'd be saying the same stuff, but he just says it faster, and I wouldn't be able to sneak in a bunch of wrestling metaphors like he does. I'd be slipping in David Bowie metaphors left and right though... as I'm sure many of you noticed... teehee.

I AM A BELIEVER.

Where's Kwaad? I've always wanted to have a good fight with him, but when I stopped lurking he started I guess.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

dabaus513 said:

I think some people are just drunk on the Wii's success and we'll have to wait until they sober up before they stop making outrageous predictions and statements.  I remember reading some posts several months ago from someone saying that MP3 was going to outsell Halo 3 by several million, their reasoning was because of the Wii's installed base.  The best thing to do is just have a good laugh out of these kinds of statements and give up trying to help them see reason.

Legend11 said:
dabaus513 said:

I think some people are just drunk on the Wii's success and we'll have to wait until they sober up before they stop making outrageous predictions and statements. I remember reading some posts several months ago from someone saying that MP3 was going to outsell Halo 3 by several million, their reasoning was because of the Wii's installed base. The best thing to do is just have a good laugh out of these kinds of statements and give up trying to help them see reason.

Sadly I can't disagree with that.

I mean, even if Nintendo could sell 60 million, or almost a million a week the entire year, could Nintendo even produce enough Wiis?

Even if they doubled their production, then would still have only barely over 60 million for the entire year of 08, and even then, where's the demand?