By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Alright....let's discuss HEAVY RAIN's success!

F**k you Heavy Rain! You made crows go extinct!!!

I miss the taste... :'(

Around the Network
patapon said:
F**k you Heavy Rain! You made crows go extinct!!!

I miss the taste... :'(

uh on now we'll have the crow avenging the death of crows?

CGI-Quality said:
Adobo said:
OFF topic: whatever happened to your real life girl avatar? she looks pretty...

She's lingering....

I prefer avatars that have a mystery behind them.

Like mine :D

Mine represents someone and none of you will ever find out who he/it is, muhahaha.

OT: I'm glad Heavy Rain is doing well. It's performing much better then I expected and it was sold out everywhere in the UK for the opening week. I was unable to grab a copy :(

I believe the success of Heavy Rain represents both an opportunity and a challenge. The challenge will be to learn precisely what it is that Heavy Rain succeeded at and precisely how it failed in order to turn it into a type of game which selling 3M+ copies will be typical and possible as the style of game which Heavy Rain is requires heavy production values. The opportunity is to make good on their early inroads into this genre and esnure that its the Quantic Dreams games which are the ones which define the direction of this fledgling genre.

We'll see from future games how well this goes, they can't rely on the novelty of their production on their second time through so they will need to step up their game substantially in terms of gameplay refinement, characters (even more so than story), and production values as this style of game relies heavily on all three.

Tease.

CGI-Quality said:
wholikeswood said:
It's not going to inspire a shift whereby this subgenre of gaming becomes more popular with developers.

Quantic Dream were given a luxurious amount of time and plenty of technological and financial assistance from Sony.

Third-party publishers would have to take it exclusive to Sony to secure the same kind of backing, and they just won't do that because development this gen is so expensive. They'll stick to a normal gametype and release for both HD consoles.

Sad, but I think also the truth.

You don't see Microsoft or Nintendo possibly backing this type of project?

Nintendo make an SD Heavy Rain? A mature game for the Wii from a company that loves making money? Ha.

As for Microsoft, I'm sure they'll continue to back projects like Gears and Alan Wake, but I just can't seem them doing a murder-mystery with QTEs. Ninja Blade is a terrible comparison as it was a bad game and had little concern for narrative, but Microsoft published it and watched it bomb, so I doubt they have any motivation to give any backing to a similar venture, even if it has better quality prospects.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:
SmoothCriminal said:
I applaud Heavy Rain (and Indigo Prophecy along with it). It was a fantastic interactive movie. However, I don't want too see this genre become the norm. I think that Heavy Rain is a step in the wrong direction, whereas Braid is a step in the right direction. Braid's story is non-linear and coldn't be told in any other Media besides video games.

Do I want more games like Heavy Rain? Sure, why not. Do I want them to become too popular for their own good? No, I do not.

While I understand your point and agree that it really is a step backwords as far as "videogames as art' are concerned. I disagree that the genre shouldn't get bigger if it's what the people want. Art and consumerism fit side by side in every other artistic medium quite well. Additionally there is always the off chance your wrong. Afterall I can only imagine what established painteres thought when impressionism broke onto the scene, or heck look how so many people treat the wii.

We agree on something! See what a QTE can cause!

Actually i've yet to play it yet. Still haven't seen it on rental shelves... and I'm not a fan of buying games I don't think will have much replay value for me. After I beat the story a few times I don't see myself wanting to play it for the game mechanics.

CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:
CGI-Quality said:
Kasz216 said:
SmoothCriminal said:
I applaud Heavy Rain (and Indigo Prophecy along with it). It was a fantastic interactive movie. However, I don't want too see this genre become the norm. I think that Heavy Rain is a step in the wrong direction, whereas Braid is a step in the right direction. Braid's story is non-linear and coldn't be told in any other Media besides video games.

Do I want more games like Heavy Rain? Sure, why not. Do I want them to become too popular for their own good? No, I do not.

While I understand your point and agree that it really is a step backwords as far as "videogames as art' are concerned. I disagree that the genre shouldn't get bigger if it's what the people want. Art and consumerism fit side by side in every other artistic medium quite well. Additionally there is always the off chance your wrong. Afterall I can only imagine what established painteres thought when impressionism broke onto the scene, or heck look how so many people treat the wii.

We agree on something! See what a QTE can cause!

Actually i've yet to play it yet. Still haven't seen it on rental shelves... and I'm not a fan of buying games I don't think will have much replay value for me. After I beat the story a few times I don't see myself wanting to play it for the game mechanics.

You missed the joke on the Q.T.E.

Ah well, at least we agreed while it lasted.

I imagine we agree on a lot.

I'm extremely happy that it's doing what it does, mainly because it shows that there is a market for games that appeal to adult gamers without trying to cater to other groups.

While I love almost everything the game does for the industry, I think its biggest impact will be in stories and the way they are told. It shows that there are gamers who want stories about "real" people, about "real" situations and we want to be drawn into the story. There is room for games where the story and gameplay are intertwined to provide greater immersion at the cost of traditional gaming values, provided the story is good enough.

CGI-Quality said:
Rainbird said:
I'm extremely happy that it's doing what it does, mainly because it shows that there is a market for games that appeal to adult gamers without trying to cater to other groups.

While I love almost everything the game does for the industry, I think its biggest impact will be in stories and the way they are told. It shows that there are gamers who want stories about "real" people, about "real" situations and we want to be drawn into the story. There is room for games where the story and gameplay are intertwined to provide greater immersion at the cost of traditional gaming values, provided the story is good enough.

Minions are not supposed to post so late in the discussion! I'm watchin' you!

You should watch me more, set up a camera and watch me play Red Steel 2, because that is one hell of an awesome game!

Oh my god... I have a PS Eye. I'm playing on my Wii. My PS3 could easily record me playing!

I'll gladly eat crow. I stated that the game wouldn't sell over 500k WW. I was wrong, and i'm glad the game actually sold well. When great niche, core game sell more than shovelware i'm a happy gamer.