By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Was the Announcement for the Nintendo 3DS bad timing?YES IT WAS!

I think it was a good time to announce it.
The overlap scheme has worked for Nintendo nicely
Announcing it in march vs at E3 would lead me to believe that someone else may be trying to do 3D and Nintendo wanted to get the jump on them.

Business wise...its beautiful
In my opinion, The current DS is following the GBA in terms of life cycles.
(The DS having 4 major iterations instead of 3)

GBA - 2001 --- GBA sp - 2003 ----- GBA Micro - 2005

DS - 2004 --- DS lite - 2006 ----- DSi - 2008jp ---- DSi LL (XL) - 2009jp / 2010usa

3DS - 2010? / 2011?

The two consoles (gba / ds) overlap as GBA was still running quite strong in 2005 and into 2006
The main backward compatibility aspect stopped with the DSi and the DSi LL giving the GBA an effective 6+ year life cycle.
The obvious success of the DS will give it at least a 6+ year cycle

Nintendo replicated the evolution of the two systems very closely.
GBA was redesigned to the SP to feel better and added small features, and the Micro was for a niche market.

DS was redesigned once to the "Lite" to feel better and add small features, and a second time to "DSi Lite " to allow for camera use and the down-loadable content aspect of the system to add DSiware.
The DSiXL is (I believe) for a niche market

The DS and the 3DS will hopefully have that same cross-over / overlap mentality that will surely benefit long time users of the system. If you can re-download your DSi games as well as play the DS library of games...
It should start the same trend that GBA and DS had before it.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Around the Network

Tridrakious said:
Of course it was!

Nintendo jumps from system to system way to much. I mean the only reason the "DS" is doing so well is because the there was the DS "Phat", DS Lite, DSi, DSi XX/XL now there is this 3DS.

BTW I've got to say this.

NINTENDO RIPPING OFF SONY!!!! 3D is Sony's techology! :)

I don't see what is wrong, there are 4 PSPs and 4 DSs

PSP 1000 (Fat) [December 2004]

PSP 2000 (slim) [September 2007]

PSP 3000 [October 2008]

PSP Go [October 2009]

DS Fat [December 2004]

DS Lite [March 2006]

DSi [November 2008]

DSi XL [November 2009]

Apple is even worse. Also, 3DS is not a revision like the DSi.

While I don't entirely agree with you, it does seem odd from a gamers perspective.

However, when one looks at it from perhaps a business or investor relations perspective, I think it makes sense why they chose to do it now. Fiscal New Year and all that jazz.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

stof said:
The XL seems primarily an attempt to reach out to the older audience. I really don't think the 3DS announcement will do much at all to dent DS sales. And the 3DS's release will coincide with the DS becoming a cheaper system. Both should sell a lot for a long time.

This is my thought as well.

It is a different product at a different market.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Yes, this was odd timing for Nintendo, who is usually very hush hush about new technology. However, they probably just wanted to announce it before E3.

I still would like to get a DSi XL myself simply because of the double sized screens. Especially before Dragon Quest IX comes out. However, this announcement might keep me from doing so if they announce the new '3DS' will be coming out before 2011.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

Not to mention people would be PISSED if a week after they bought a new DS, Nintendo was like "Oh, another one is coming"

Now individuals can make an intelligent decision

I am a Gauntlet Adventurer.

I strive to improve my living conditions by hoarding gold, food, and sometimes keys and potions. I love adventure, fighting, and particularly winning - especially when there's a prize at stake. I occasionally get lost inside buildings and can't find the exit. I need food badly. What Video Game Character Are You?

Mega Man 9 Challenges: 74%

Waltz Tango Jitterbug Bust a move Headbanging
Bunny Hop Mr. Trigger Happy Double Trouble Mr. Perfect Invincible
Almost Invincible No Coffee Break Air Shoes Mega Diet Encore
Peacekeeper Conservationist Farewell To Arms Gamer's Day Daily Dose
Whomp Wiley! Truly Addicted! Truly Hardcore! Conqueror Vanquisher
Destroyer World Warrior Trusty Sidearm Pack Rat Valued Customer
Shop A Holic Last Man Standing Survivor Hard Rock Heavy Metal
Speed Metal Fantastic 9 Fully Unloaded Blue Bomber Eco Fighter
Marathon Fight Quick Draw G Quick Draw C Quick Draw S Quick Draw H
Quick Draw J Quick Draw P Quick Draw T Quick Draw M Quick Draw X