By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Natal needs 4 meters of space

MS did it for the Japanese. It likes them so much it would do anything to make them have bigger houses.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Get a second job and buy a new house?

I think my lounge is just about long enough but I don't think its wide enough.

stof said:
slowmo said:
Am I the only one that read this to state the furthest back Natal will detect a individual is 13 feet? I'm pretty sure it will detect and capture somebody closer than that, it is merely highlighting the limitation of the IR camera in terms of the window it can capture. There is no requirement to have a room that extends the full 13 feet back I'm pretty sure and when this is confirmed, some people might look a bit foolish jumping on the hate bandwagon right now.

To be precise, you’ll want to clear an area extending at least 4 meters (a little more than 13 feet) away from the television.

That’s the back edge of the space to be taken into account by the Natal sensors.

It seems to be suggesting that while you can certainly stand closer, 4 meters should be it's clearance zone. So having furniture or friends within 4 meters could throw Natal off. That would certainly be a pretty big limitation even in American households where you have friends sitting on the couch. It would certainly deny the Natal entry in to dorm rooms. And the 360 is a pretty big staple of most dormrooms.

i hope you're right, because what i get from the article is that it's a 'demand' and a 'requirement', not an option.

like I said, I hope you're right though. seems a bit unreasonable to expect a large proportion of customers to move their setups into the garage or garden.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

M.U.G.E.N said:

Has MS Officially made this statement somewhere? Cuz if it's true it kinda sucks :S

ps: Oh yeah, IF this is true then there goes a good chance of making an impact in Japan

And half of the market in EU where a lot of people live in small flats.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

i honestly don't believe this.They already now many of the gamers do not have that big of a room .After all MS is not dumb

Around the Network

I also read this as to mean that at that maximum distance you only had a 2.7m vertical distance of motion capture which would mean assuming the camera is placed around 150 cm off the ground you wouldnt be able to grab all of the body unless you were at least 2.2m away from the tv. That is still pushing the distance on the majority of peoples homes in Europe and Japan.

Its propably true 4 now, bt i'm sure microsoft is working on reducing that distance greatly

I believe it when I see it.

We all saw Kate playing with Milo standing about 0.5m from TV.

Whut? 4 Meters? O_O'

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046