By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Move is a copy/inspired by Wii or Move ins't a copy/inspired by Wii poll

Move is a copy/inspired by Wii or Move ins't a copy/inspired by Wii poll

Yes 317 67.74%

No 151 32.26%

Total:468
letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
mike_intellivision said:
For what it is being used for -- yes.

The 2004 motion demo is interesting ... reminds me of MagiQuest: http://www.magiquest.com/

But it is not the same function as its current incarnation.

Mike from Morgantown

so you think sony developed the move entirly for one game? interesting.

It's more based on the fact that the move involves wii technology that was never mentioned to be in consideration for use until after the wii was released and was a big hit. Also the fact that they stated in the demos themselves it was meant only for simple games that kids would love and not really be for more advanced games.

I don't deny that. What I deny is that Sony A. wouldn't have launched it and B. what form it would be in. In 2004 it very well might havebeen for the purpose of simple kids games. That could have changed in '04 '05 and '06 before the wii and its sucess was even seen. All I know for a fact is that the move was in development long before the wii.

Just because it was in developement first doesn't really mean it's not a copy though.  It's just how product development works.  Many people try to make a successful version of a product using many different means, in this case motion controls.  Then when one company hits first and is a success, the other companies invariably take as much as they can from the success and model their own technology off of the successful one.  Is the whole thing a copy?  No, but even though it was developed first... a large part of it is.  Not that it invalidates the move or makes sony "bad" as this is what all companys do.   To however pretend it doesn't copy the wii is disengenious.  Mp3 players that came out before apple but then change their mp3 players size, look and add that little wheel to be just like an Ipod are copying Apple right?  There final MP3 players are copies, even though they started before apple and even had products out before apple. 

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
mike_intellivision said:

The 2004 motion demo is interesting ... reminds me of MagiQuest: http://www.magiquest.com/

Mike from Morgantown

It's more based on the fact that the move involves wii technology that was never mentioned to be in consideration for use until after the wii was released and was a big hit. Also the fact that they stated in the demos themselves it was meant only for simple games that kids would love and not really be for more advanced games.

I don't deny that. What I deny is that Sony A. wouldn't have launched it and B. what form it would be in. In 2004 it very well might havebeen for the purpose of simple kids games. That could have changed in '04 '05 and '06 before the wii and its sucess was even seen. All I know for a fact is that the move was in development long before the wii.

Just because it was in developement first doesn't really mean it's not a copy though.  It's just how product development works.  Many people try to make a successful version of a product using many different means, in this case motion controls.  Then when one company hits first and is a success, the other companies invariably take as much as they can from the success and model their own technology off of the successful one.  Is the whole thing a copy?  No, but even though it was developed first... a large part of it is.  Not that it invalidates the move or makes sony "bad" as this is what all companys do.   To however pretend it doesn't copy the wii is disengenious.  Mp3 players that came out before apple but then change their mp3 players size, look and add that little wheel to be just like an Ipod are copying Apple right?  There final MP3 players are copies, even though they started before apple and even had products out before apple. 

But to prove it is a copy you must first prove Sony changed its formula when they saw Nintendos success. Something you can not do with the position you are in right now... Unless you are Phil Harrison... You aren't Phil... are you?

letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
Kasz216 said:
letsdance said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

But to prove it is a copy you must first prove Sony changed its formula when they saw Nintendos success. Something you can not do with the position you are in right now... Unless you are Phil Harrison... You aren't Phil... are you?

Based on that logic you can't claim that MP3's players in the above statement copied Nintendo.  Or that any company has ever copies anything and all the very similiar "copies" were all arived at independently.  Or for that matter that Jimmy from the 5th grade didn't plagerize Romeo and Juliet for english class and came up with it .  It's a silly claim to make.

Also, one only need to look so far as my avatar to notice I am in fact not Phil Harrison. Though a lot more people then him could tell you what was copied then him i'm sure. Of course they have about as much incentive too as little Jimmy does in admitting he plagarized romeo and juliet rather then coming up with the idea independently.

"These threads are quite annoying. Honestly, how else would they have designed a motion controller without having a left analog stick, triggers, a d pad and all of the functionality of the current dualshock without its present design.It's basically just a sixaxis dualshock 3 split down the middle with added camera functionality. Get real people."

You say that now because of the Wiimote but if Nintendo did not come out with the Wii first, who knows what Sony would have come out with. The key here is that Nintendo already did the dirty expensive part and Sony pretty much aped the same design for free.

It doesn't matter how long Sony worked on the ideal because what they worked on and what is coming out into the market is the result of the Wii not their research. Yes, Sony does it different but really the end result is the same. We really do not know if Sony would ever have released the Move.

I have seen videos from MS that show they have worked on camera based motion tech before Sony but it matter not because Sony was first.

Around the Network

LOL youre just being silly. Youre examples don't work. With the facts that are presented we can only conclude that Sony was tinkering with motion with a wand before the wii.

My own logical assumption though is I very much doubt Sony was going to leave it like that.

It is to some degree, but also, considering the history with Sony and motion controls and what they have shown in tech demos, it shows that they had an idea like this long time ago. Maybe they were just trying to figure out if it was worth it? And that the Wii's success triggered them to go for the Move?

I voted no, because I think the design of the Move is copied from the Wii, but not the idea. Sony though about motion gaming last generation and just needed a "container" to place it in.

letsdance said:
LOL youre just being silly. Youre examples don't work. With the facts that are presented we can only conclude that Sony was tinkering with motion with a wand before the wii.

My own logical assumption though is I very much doubt Sony was going to leave it like that.

MP3 companies were expiermenting with MP3 players before the Ipod. The same can be said for numerous other froms of technology that have simply been accepted to have copied the "successful" one. How can you prove Little Jimmy had even HEARD of shakespeare when he wrote Jomeo and Ruliet?

akuseru said:
It is to some degree, but also, considering the history with Sony and motion controls and what they have shown in tech demos, it shows that they had an idea like this long time ago. Maybe they were just trying to figure out if it was worth it? And that the Wii's success triggered them to go for the Move?

I voted no, because I think the design of the Move is copied from the Wii, but not the idea. Sony though about motion gaming last generation and just needed a "container" to place it in.

Ironicaly the same reason i think it is a copy. It should be noted that this is mostly a subjective matter. Just like plagerism. Most college students who want to plagerize are smart enough to not just "Copy & paste." They just take the general idea and copy a lot of they key points. The trick is, a lot of colleges now have machines that can pick up on these "Key points" and see if they match any papers or books on file and can display whether or not it shares too many situations with a previous paper or even a few papers combined. Then it is up to the professor to decide if it is plagerism or just very similiar. This is much the same. The computer brings up "hey this is really fishy" and it's up to the professor to decide if it's a exception or the rule to whether or not the machine is right.

Yes, a lot of the Moves games resemble the Wii games.