By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Could someone help me choose a console?

Even as a Wii fanboy I'd say 360. I'm hoping that Wii will eventually have a great shooter lineup with better controls than 360, but it's nothing special right now, and the online is never going to be up to par with 360.

Around the Network

If you love shooters, either get a 360 or upgrade your PC. Any answer contrary to that is pretty much fanboy fodder. The 360 rules the shooter world, to my chagrin at times.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Get a DS, PSP, and Wii.

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

I'm a Wii guy. You're a 360 guy.

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

No need to get a 360 if you have a gaming capable PC, and no need to get a PS3 if you like FPS, a Wii colplements your PC best or a DS if you like some RPG's

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

As a firm Wii supporter, from what you've said I can only recommend an Xbox360. You pretty much described the 360's game lineup perfectly in your likes, so that would be my recommendation.

As a counterpoint though, a lot of the 360's shooters are on the PC (and better on the PC because of controls), so if you have a good PC I'd say that the 360 won't give you a lot that you don't already have. The Wii would be the best compliment for your PC if you want a machine you can use to take breaks from shooters.

But if you just want a console you can play more shooters on, then no question you should get a 360.

I'm a Wii person and I say you should probably get a 360. RIGHT NOW the 360 has 10x the FPS, racing, rpg type games Wii does and a better online offering.

Now, I think that by the end of 2008 that will not be the case, but you could always buy a Wii then. So for games you would probably like to play right now, get a 360.

EDIT: I just read Avinash's post. He's right. All of the good 360 games that come out, eventually come out on the PC if not at the same time. Plus, it does now and will always have a better online play. So with that in mind. Go Wii!!!

mrstickball said:
Well, you said you love shooters. Get the system with the most shooters.

That'd be an Xbox 360. You also like RPGs but not Final Fantasy....That'd be the X360 too (unless you loathe Sakaguchi).

I'll side with others: I think it's strange when people ask this question, and they basically aren't asking you what to get, but telling you what they want because it's usually pretty obvious what they want.

I swear some of these are so cookie-cutter "tell me that I need a X360" that someone from MS is paying kids for it.

Had to quote this. At least for the last part. @OP: If you really do want a console for shooters online and a few RPG:s, 360 is the best option at the moment. Although, you may not like the controls. Wii does have superior controls for shooters, than any platform ever, but a)it doesn't really have shooters b)it's online is still a big question mark. Shooters, that 360 has, are mostly available for PC, don't know about RPG:s. But maybe you just need to upgrade your PC instead of buying a console, but if you want a console, you propably need to get 360 for the games you like.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

360 or ps3. if you want online for 360 be prepared to pay 50 a year, it has more features and more players online but both have at least competent online. ps3 has blu ray which is nice but not a necessity. ps3 also has built in wireless which costs a decent amount if you want that for 360.

rpg will definitely end up ps3, since japan doesnt like 360 so those devs wont really make it for 360 without big financial incentive (like publishing for mistwalker). dont bank on huge amounts of 360 rpg. in fps it should be close to a tie, but that depends on which fps u like more, halo3 or kz2 and resistance. racing games is easily ps3 with f1, motorstorm, and gt. pgr and forza might be good but they cant really compete.

my pillars of gaming: kh, naughty dog, insomniac, ssb, gow, ff

i officially boycott boycotts.  crap.

Upgrade your PC, far better and more FPS than everywhere else, as well as no extra money for online, and a lot of games on other genres, including RPGs.

The PC its also king for RTS, MMORPG among other genres and obviously a PC can do far more than any console .

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"