By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The biggest domestic US vote of my lifetime is today...

Lostplanet22 said:
A bit confused ...The bill pass but if the republicans come back they can change it again?

Why was their no referendum about this? I know that referendums are not always a good thing to do but in ths case I think it would be a good one.

(and if their was one forget my comment)

America generally frowns upon referendums, kinda like how we don't directly vote for our Presidents

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
A bit confused ...The bill pass but if the republicans come back they can change it again?

Why was their no referendum about this? I know that referendums are not always a good thing to do but in ths case I think it would be a good one.

If you wanted to pass something that 70%+ of America was against... would YOU hold a referndum?  Not that we do referendums.

Mr Khan said:

If the insurance companies respond to this with higher rates, or any change for the worse really, the blame is going to fall on them, not on the law.

The wheels towards single-payer are in motion.

Or... you know.  People go "Hey this bill was supposed to make healthcare cheaper.. but it made it more expensive.  The goverment sucks"

And it makes it even harder for any further legislation to pass.

When the government passes a law to stop crime, and then crime increases... are people really going to say "see the government needs MORE laws).

Mr Khan said:

If the insurance companies respond to this with higher rates, or any change for the worse really, the blame is going to fall on them, not on the law.

The wheels towards single-payer are in motion.

Yes and no ...

As healthcare companies start to increase premiums and reduce coverage for individuals and companies a PR battle will emerge. On one side you will have the Democrats and those that lobbied for healthcare reform, and on the other side you will have the Republicans, Insurance Companies, and those that lobbied against reform.

I would personally bet on the Democrats losing this PR battle because many/most companies that are looking to reduce their domestic workforce in favour of workers in China or India will (probably) argue that the increases in healthcare costs and taxes pushed them over the edge; and regardless of whether this is true, it provides the political cover from being seen as evil or Anti-American by offshoring your workforce.

Kasz216 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

If you wanted to pass something that 70%+ of America was against... would YOU hold a referndum?  Not that we do referendums.

How did they know 70% of America was against it?   Well I thought it would be fair to hold a referendum about it considering so many Americans even living in foreign countries saw this as an very important subject.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
Kasz216 said:
Lostplanet22 said:

How did they know 70% of America was against it?   Well I thought it would be fair to hold a referendum about it considering so many Americans even living in foreign countries saw this as an very important subject.

Polling. Even the most democratic surveys saw massive dislike for this bill. People want healtcare reform... but healthcare reform that will work. Not change for the sake of change.

The vast majority of people in the USA (or any country for that matter) have no idea what is in almost any of the bills passed. The 70% against really only shows who had better propaganda.

There are some good arguments both for and against, however, it seems party lines make up most of the arguments.

I myself am lucky I live in a country with universal health care, but it isnt free. Costs are always going up.

With that said I can't really say I'm in favour or against President Obamas health care reform as I'm not a US Citizen.

What I can say is I do not like the fact that insurance companies cannot deny pre-existing conditions. I'm a trustee of an insurance company, and I can only say what a mess that would be if that ever came into effect in my country. Yikes!!!

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

HappySqurriel said:
Legend11 said:
Miguel_Zorro said:

I'm a Canadian. I think most Americans don't know what they're getting themselves into.

If I get sick, I have to wait several hours to see a doctor. When I finally get to see a doctor, I get maybe 10 minutes with them. What good is "free" health care (It's not free, I pay more for it through taxes than I would pay in a free market system) if I can't get it when I need it? Generally, if I go to a doctor, I leave without getting the issue resolved.

I'll use a common analogy - the car. In the American system, everybody buys the car that they can afford. Some people can afford amazing cars. Unfortunately, some people can't afford a car at all.

In the Canadian system, the people who can afford the really nice car still have to pay for it, but they don't get it. Instead, everybody gets the same, unreliable 30 year old car. 9 times out of 10, it doesn't even start. On the 1 time out of 10 that it actually does start, you're lucky if it doesn't blow up with you inside it.

Lots of health care systems have their problems. The American system has issues that have needed fixing for a long time. However, people who hold up the Canadian system as some sort of success model (I'm looking at you, Michael Moore) are either ignorant, intentionally misleading people, or both.

I think it's your post that is intentionally misleading people.  Any emergency room is based on triage and the reason you waited for so long is because they deemed others to be have a more serious medical emergency.  You would experience the exact same kinds of wait times in the majority of hospitals in the United States. 

If you ever find yourself in a serious accident you'll be singing the praises of our system because that's really where it shines.  The majority of bankruptcies in the United States have medical costs as a signficant factor.  Also for those that will try to blame that on a lack of health insurance, 75% of such bankruptcies are from families covered by health insurance.*

As for your 1 out of 10 claim, where are you getting that from?  Are you claiming 9 out of 10 Canadians die because of inadequate medical care?  Are you saying 9 out of 10 people in Canada don't get adequate medical care?  Seriously what exactly are you claiming and show us some numbers to back up your claim.

*Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5530Y020090604

While I'm not going to try to support his statistics ...

The Canadian healthcare system has been on a steady decline throughout my entire life, and what we now have is a system that is crumbling and falling apart and is unlikely to survive another 10 years without substantial reform. Unfortunately, there has been significant brainwashing in Canada and people are taught from a very young age that universal healthcare is one of Canada’s crowning achievements which prevents a large portion of the population from being willing to accept the flaws; and most reasonable suggestions (to put us on par with the best healthcare systems around the world) are immediately discounted because they would lead to an "American Style Healthcare System"

The main problem is the Canadian healthcare system is seeing the same kind of uncontrolled cost increase that every (western) healthcare system is seeing; and most of the attempts to control costs have resulted in lower quality and access to healthcare, and the infrastructure (both physical and otherwise) has not been able to keep up to date.

People who use the Canadian healthcare system as a model of greatness (or even claim that it is adequate) are uninformed or misleading people.

While I'm not going to wholefully agree or disagree with all of your arguments.  The universal healthcare plan isn't whats wrong, its the system that is.  When it comes to most healthcare systems, doesnt matter where you come from, politics always get involved.

Now I'm not an expert by any means, but I do have responisbilities in the healthcare field as I am a trustee for a benifits plan.  There definitely needs some reform in the system, but nothing so drastic as to what is going on in the US. 

It is a huge industry and to state that it is a model of greatness/lacking would be a misrepresentation of any situation, so I would have to somewhat disagree with your last sentence as well(assuming a negative context).

The only part of your argument that I can agree with is that costs are going up.  However there may be many underlying issues going on that can be contributing to the rising costs of healthcare.  (Babyboomers, drug costs-especially since we import many of them from the states and abroad, insurance companies private and public health benefit plans, nursing shortage/doctor shortage, etc). 

It is just too big of an organism to state whether its a positive value to the average citizen or a negative.  My only opinion would be, and this is purely subjective, I would rather have universal healthcare than live somewhere else that doesnt have it.  Politics aside.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

Rath said:
The vast majority of people in the USA (or any country for that matter) have no idea what is in almost any of the bills passed. The 70% against really only shows who had better propaganda.

What about 78% of people being against it when it's a poll taken at a website that provides the bill for reading?