By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Jack Tretton Takes Aim at Natal.

Squilliam said:
legend92(3) said:
Squilliam said:
gekkokamen said:
well, it's the truth isn't it? what can Natal do that the PS2 Eyetoy couldn't do 6 years ago?

Work in the dark?

Obviously Natal is going to have some added features but the basics of it are eyetoy clone. Like really it's and eyetoy on steriods.

How can it be an eyetoy clone if the Eyetoy was never worth cloning? Thats like saying the Ipod was a clone of X MP3 player that never did anything in the market.

And Move is Eyetoy with PS3motes that have lighting up balls on top.

Around the Network

interesting how this thread turned into a SONY bashing thread, and ofcourse the usual people tend to bash.. how sad

mM
chaospluto said:
Squilliam said:

I can't really see how complaints its an Eyetoy clone are even justified as the Sony Eyetoy wasn't a big enough success to be considered inspiration. I doubt that anyone is going to say that due to the Eyetoys 'massive' success Microsoft rushed their engineers to complete a copy. In reality the Natal interface is closer to a Wiimote clone than it could ever be an Eyetoy clone.

I can understand anyone having hurt feelings or whatever, but its pretty stupid to draw a link between the Eyetoy and the Natal interface in the same fashion that you wouldn't draw a connection between Microsofts failed tablet PC format and the iPad. Im not going to rush around saying the iPad is a tablet PC clone when the tablet PC never did anything and barely sold nor did it meet the requirements of the market.

Wait...So...

PS Move has a similar design to Wiimote and essentially does the same thing as Wiimote with added features, it's a copy because the Wii was a huge success?

But...

Natal does essentially the same thing as the EyeToy with added features.  Though it's not a copy at all, due to the fact that the EyeToy wasn't a huge success?

How the hell does that make any sense at all.  Just because Wii was a success and EyeToy wasn't doesn't nullify Natal being any less of a copy to the EyeToy as PS Move is a copy to the Wiimote.  Interface has NOTHING to do with how they work, it's all about the hardware.

Talk about biased.

Pretty simple really. Theres nothing in how the Eyetoy was recieved nor pushed which you can say 'obviously another company will want to make an identical clone or similar'. Sony barely pushed it and cameras are pretty common so you can't even say that had the Eyetoy not existed the Natal interface would not have existed. However you can say if the Wiimote never existed its unlikely that the Move would exist in its present form because the Wiimote form-factor and interface is unique and before the Wiimote nothing of the like existed. So therefore its pretty obvious that Sony copied Nintendo.

Tease.

leo-j said:
interesting how this thread turned into a SONY bashing thread, and ofcourse the usual people tend to bash.. how sad

The usual sony bashers are few, but fierce. And they really like making lists and quotes.

JWS said:
Jack Tretton said:

“I think it is a big idea, if you really want to get involved with playing with a camera, I suggest you go out and buy a $99 PlayStation 2 and play some of the great technology that we invented 8 years ago.”

By this same logic shouldn't people buy a wii instead of move? Nintendo has great technology that was invented 5 years ago.

Move is cheaper than a Wii. That's why it actually stands a chance, if done correctly.

And everything is a copy of something, you guys need to chill..

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Jack Tretton:

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in N America thats been on the shelves for more than 15 minutes I'll give you 1200 bucks for it" - this was so wrong it was sad.

"If you look at the adoption rate of the DS over the first 17 months, not only does it trail the PSP but it also trails their other platforms ... They're potentially losing some of their core audience and they're not really expanding beyond that." - oh dear.

“We are in the first 25 per cent to 30 per cent of this generation. I would say we're sitting in the catbird seat. And if you like what you see right and if you thought last year was the year of the PlayStation, I hope that in 2015 somebody is going to be saying, ‘This is the Year of the PlayStation 3.’ - Jan 2010. - staggering arrogance or stupidity - I'm not sure.

It's something called Competition.

leo-j said:

You summed up what I was thinking :D It really is sad

Let's wait until we see some proper games for Natal people, until then you really can't praise it nor say it's a failure..at the moment I am not convinced, the only game I have seen it uses that even remotely interested me was the Burnout video. But even that the guy looked so uncomfortable and moved so little and the car would run into a wall......does not scream fun to me....so that and other than dance around like a maniac to hit some balls game...I have not seen ANYTHING that is promising so far from MS....so let's wait until E3 to see what happens

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Anyways....

luvtospooge said:
JWS said:
Jack Tretton said:

“I think it is a big idea, if you really want to get involved with playing with a camera, I suggest you go out and buy a $99 PlayStation 2 and play some of the great technology that we invented 8 years ago.”

By this same logic shouldn't people buy a wii instead of move? Nintendo has great technology that was invented 5 years ago.

Move is cheaper than a Wii. That's why it actually stands a chance, if done correctly.

Yeah, because you don't need a 300$ console to play with Move bundle.

Bamboleo said:
luvtospooge said:
JWS said:
Jack Tretton said:

Yeah, because you don't need a 300$ console to play with Move bundle.

I thought you were talking about people who already own a Ps3. My bad if I misread.