By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Best N64 Developer: Rare or Nintendo

Back in those days, ANY good N64 game was an event. Still, when you get down to it, Rare satisfied my gameplay appetite just a smidge more than Nintendo back in those days. They were like Nintendo's hit-making S.W.A.T. team!

Around the Network
supermariogalaxy said:
Nintendo!!! Rare was good, but I remember playing Mario Kart 64....good times, good times...

You have a ds? You have wifi? Buy mario kart ds its the same thing with more tracks and slightly better graphics. And online ofcourse.

mM

it's almost not fair cuz Nintendo is a powerhouse but Rares games were all nice for being a smaller company then Nintendo Rare wins....

cool48 said:
Nintendo :
Mario Kart and Mario Tennis both get an F for Fantasticular

And holy crap the hours I spent playing Pokemon Stadium mini games with my friends...good times.

I thought I was the only one who did that.  I absolutely loved those minigames.  For me, OoT makes Ninty automatically win this contest.

Eh, you shouldn't have to pick...they were both excellent.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Very tough choice..... in number of games terms i would have bought 8 from Rare (all minus DK64, KIGold, and Mickey) and 10 from Nintendo.

however i think i would go with Rare.....I am assuming Pilotwings was only Nintendo Published and not developed (thus not on your list)...because if it is Nintendo might just edge it out.
*wishes I had brought my N64 to my University flat*

nintendo

Hardly a real choice.   Nintendo wins by a landslide.

Now i'll put my two cents in. To me, I'm actually going with Rare. Nintendo made plenty of classics with Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Zelda x2, Wave Race 64, Star Fox 64, Paper Mario, Mario Tennis and Mario Golf, but many games that they developed we're half baked. Rare was consistent all around. Only one game of their's(Mickey's Speedway USA) was a game I didn't have a blast playing. They created so many brand new IPs, showed FPS could work on a console, and created in my mind the greatest platformer ever, still to this day(Conker's Bad Fur Day).

I played twice as much Diddy Kong Racing as I did Mario Kart 64. I beat Super Mario 64 twice but I beat Conker at least 6 times. Blast Corps I spent over 100 hours messing around in.

It's funny because I may be the only one who's favorite 64 game isn't on either list. I enjoyed the AKI developed WCW vs. NWO, Virtual Pro Wrestling and WWF games more than any of them. So crack one open for AKI and THQ!

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

I'm going to have to go with Nintendo on that one.  Mainly because of the Zeldas (OoT and MM), Mario 64, the first Smash Brothers, Paper Mario, Star Fox 64, Pokemon Snap

Rare was awesome though putting out some timeless games.  If I had to do a scale from 1 to 10 on their output, Nintendo would be at an 8.5 in quality games that gen, with Rare at a very close 8.1-8.3 for the Banjo games, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64, Conker's BFD, Jet Force Gemini, Perfect Dark, and Goldeneye.