By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What do you hate most about this gen?

What do you hate most about this gen?

Motion controls 20 6.08%

The Wii (& Wii Fit) 52 15.81%

Graphic whoring ( 2 pixe... 84 25.53%

The abysmal PR (including... 22 6.69%

Fanboys (of any kind) 102 31.00%

Other 49 14.89%

Total:329

My PS3 can fix itself and Im scared of it now.

What if one day I try to turn it off and it says "You are NOT done yet"
Then proceeds to shock my hand in a closed position around the controller (only allowing movement of my thumbs and point/middle fingers).

One day it will take me over and this is a bad thing.

Around the Network
Ssenkahdavic said:
My PS3 can fix itself and Im scared of it now.

What if one day I try to turn it off and it says "You are NOT done yet"
Then proceeds to shock my hand in a closed position around the controller (only allowing movement of my thumbs and point/middle fingers).

One day it will take me over and this is a bad thing.

That won't happen this gen. It has already been slated for the PS4 though. They have working protypes of that tech right now.

I've seen a couple people complain that others are saying that "a game with great graphics can't be a good game!" I can honestly say I've never seen that particular riff before. I will say that graphics (meaning resolution, textures, lighting etc.) have no bearing on whether a game is good or not, positive or negative. The artstyle could, but really it's gameplay mechanics and fun factor that really makes a game good.

What's Miyamoto's quote? "A beautiful 480p game will be beautiful forever, an ugly 1080p game will be ugly forever". Something like that, you get the point.

AnarchyWest said:
-Gamers that think games with amazing graphics can't also have great gameplay
-Gamers who think a game has no replay value if it doesn't have online play
-developers focusing more on online than single player (I like playing games online just I feel many developers are watering down the single player mode)
-reviews are meaningless if it doesn't favor your console
-bias, (apparently you have to play through a whole game before you can make an opinion on a game for a console you don't own) and calling websites bias is getting old
-Expensive DLC (Burnout Paradise for example)
-MGS4 and GTAIV didn't deliver as well as their past gen counterparts

Some cool ideas here, makes me wanna throw my 2 cents in!

1) Totally agree with you, but there's also an opposite effect. Some games are rated better merely for graphics, and the gameplay could be stale/cloned. I think that bothers me a little more, but your idea is also no good.

2) There has long been an idea that online play = higher replay, but I don't hear often of no online play = no replay value. Usually, it's single player games that are bland and boring that are regarded to have little to no replay value.

3) I think it's great that developers are getting more and more into multi player, but I also agree that the single player should never suffer for it. Unless the dev is making a strictly multi player game, there's no good excuse to just forget about polishing the single player.

4) I say this everytime it comes up, find reviewers who like the same games as you, and follow those reviewers, and forget the rest. If I HATE JRPGs (which is not true at all), then me saying "Yeah, FF13 sucks" is pointless. I don't think it needs to be as extreme as a reviewer hating a genre and reviewing it anyways, but I hope the point is there. You can't trust a reviewers opinion if your opinions never line up anyways, and if they don't, don't waste your time.

5) Have nothing to add here.

6) I like the idea of DLC, but I'm not liking the way it is done. I don't mind paying for DLC but in almost every case, it should be cheaper.

7) Didn't play MGS4 yet, but I hear you on GTAIV. It just got boring after about 8 hours, even though the story seemed decent.

Easy: the graphics. It's what's led to gaming stagnating for me- nothing new was happening. I'm glad to see Nintendo taking turns away from this, and seeing the others follow upon Nintendo's success. It's getting me interested again, but it took too long to get here.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

Tough choice. Do I go with graphic whoring or abysmal PR?

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

i hate that there's no oldschool rpgs

Microsofts paying everyone off to give them timed exclusives and to make ps3 exclusives become multiplatform. The RRoD that has claimed countless 360s yet fanboys go right out and buy another one. After my second RRoD I threw it in the trash.

Sony's outrageous pricing early on in the generation, forcing me to hold off almost 2 years into the current gen to buy a ps3. The insanely high price of the PSPGo. And the fact that Sony's customer service is absolutely TERRIBLE for the PS3.

Everything Wii. Its a casual gaming console. If you aren't much of a gamer, its for you. People that constantly say how much better the Wii is because of how well it sells are fools. Its inferior technology, graphically handicapped, overpriced, and has extremely non-innovative despite a few select titles (which are all Nintendo produced). Even the new Mario is nothing new. Same gameplay, new levels. Marvel at its lousiness. How on earth these guys got away with the Wii in the first place is beyond me. Mine collects dust unless I want to play guitar hero or Tennis.

Oh and PR for all three companies is terrible. They all run their mouthes to try and make themselves look good and the others look bad regardless of the situation.

-The MS guys leave out critical info to make it look like they are doing great, and Natal might be innovative but it will have VERY limited gaming applications (sorry MS guys).

-The Sony move looks great but its price is going to cause it to fail, just like everything else Sony has done this gen. They produce hardware that is one step ahead of the game at a price that is two steps ahead.

-Nintendo guys keep whining about how Natal and Move will fail. Sorry guys, but they'll BOTH be more advanced than what the Wii offers. And complaining that the Move is a knockoff... seriously? How many ways are there to invent a motion control controller? Did you want it to look like a giraffe?

People who make obvious flame bait in forums

People who can not comprehend other gamers have different taste than them in gaming.

Motion Controls and casual mini games selling for $49.99