By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me decide what to get this Christmas?

jlauro said:
Valdens said:

I only have Galaxy and TP for the Wii at the moment, and don't have an HDTV.

If you think I should get Wii games/hardware, I'm looking for specific titles you think are good.

As far as games, I tend to prefer Platformers, RPG's, and fighting games, but would like a non-Metroid FPS, and am open to nearly anything else. Games like Brain Age and Trauma center don't interest me much.

Based on the few games you have, I suggest more wii games over another console.

Medal of Honor Heroes 2

Resident Evil 4

Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Super Paper Mario

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Battalion Wars 2

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition

Link's Crossbow Training (for the zapper more than the game)

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (other FPS are there, but doesn't mean you shouldn't get this too!)

Rayman Raving Rabbids if you have a second controller...

(above is in no particular order.)

Out of those games, the ones I would probably get are Fire Emblem, Medal of Honor, Guitar Hero, The Zapper, Zack and Wiki and Super Paper Mario.  I already rented MP3 and beat it. :p

If I were to get an Xbox, would two games do you think I should get? (Besides Halo 3) 

Brawl FC: 0473 - 7465 - 0612

Around the Network

Since you are missing a ton of good wii games. That is what I would ask for. I am not going to list them all as many have already done. But, I would invest in the system you already have and like.

Out of those games, the ones I would probably get are Fire Emblem, Medal of Honor, Guitar Hero, The Zapper, Zack and Wiki and Super Paper Mario. I already rented MP3 and beat it. :p

If I were to get an Xbox, would two games do you think I should get? (Besides Halo 3)

Not much else I would recommend (yet), although you probably should reconsider RE 4 unless you already played it.

You are over $250 there.  I would recommend the rest in a gift card for things coming out Q1 2008 (Super Smash Brothers Brawl), or to find out how the reviews go for some of the games coming out this and next month.

Mass Effect and COD4 for the 360 in my opinion.

Also, get MLB power Pros for the Wii no matter which way you go if you want a baseball game.

Around the Network

Or actually, go Orange Box over COD4 if you get the 360. Orange Box will probably get you more bang for your buck and you'll only have a few new games to play.

I think the new Xbox arcade has HDMI but you need to buy the cable... its around 350 dollars (AUD) and seems to be selling well here, Wii and xbox here are really going well... playstation's aren't sadly.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Your question is this should you enhance one experience, or choose to diversify your experience. Honestly in the long run diversification is a greater enhancement then over investment. Owning both consoles gives you a greater exclusive library, and your going to have access to possibly over ninety percent of this generations library. Further more you get more varied experience. Each of these consoles provide vastly different experiences.

That said you would probably get more long term gratification by purchasing a 360. You will have so much more content to work with. Honestly the value is there if your looking for a more powerful experience. Only multiple console owners get the entire range.

Finally if your a die hard Nintendo traditionalist. I will be brutally honest your not going to find much in the library beyond what you have for the next few months. While others might list some good titles. They will hardly have that Nintendo sparkle you are looking for in your Wii games. Often they will be ported games, shovelware, or extremely niche. Next year should see half a dozen fantastic first party Nintendo titles, but for the rest of this year the well seems to be bone dry.

Pick up the 360 now, and see what you want there. Then come back to the Wii in a few months for Mariokart, and Smash Brothers. After they are out you might have another gap in which to play a game like Grand Theft Auto, or Lost Odyssey. Were you to do it just right. You could always have a must have title every month, and some months even two.

edit: F it, I am not in the mood to start a fight over this, it just isn't worth it...

@Topic

Anyways,

The real answer is this, look over the games you are interested in on the 360 and on the Wii. Decide which group of games interests you more. Its really that simple. You should ask for some help on which games are worth looking at and then whittle that down to your list for each console. From there you can make your choice based on your tastes. It sounds like it might be a close call for you =)

Also if you have a decent PC you are likely in a similar situation to me where most of the 360 games are coming to PC anyways. So consider that if it is applicable, but keep in mind your ability/willingness to wait, some people have a hard time waiting it out so this may not apply to you. Just be honest with yourself here.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Dodece said:
Your question is this should you enhance one experience, or choose to diversify your experience. Honestly in the long run diversification is a greater enhancement then over investment. Owning both consoles gives you a greater exclusive library, and your going to have access to possibly over ninety percent of this generations library. Further more you get more varied experience. Each of these consoles provide vastly different experiences.

That said you would probably get more long term gratification by purchasing a 360. You will have so much more content to work with. Honestly the value is there if your looking for a more powerful experience. Only multiple console owners get the entire range.

Finally if your a die hard Nintendo traditionalist. I will be brutally honest your not going to find much in the library beyond what you have for the next few months. While others might list some good titles. They will hardly have that Nintendo sparkle you are looking for in your Wii games. Often they will be ported games, shovelware, or extremely niche. Next year should see half a dozen fantastic first party Nintendo titles, but for the rest of this year the well seems to be bone dry.

Pick up the 360 now, and see what you want there. Then come back to the Wii in a few months for Mariokart, and Smash Brothers. After they are out you might have another gap in which to play a game like Grand Theft Auto, or Lost Odyssey. Were you to do it just right. You could always have a must have title every month, and some months even two.

You were fine until then.  Wii actually has plenty of good games coming out... that may not have that nintendo sparkle... but neither will the 360 games.  It also likely has a good number of games he might want that have already come out, since he's considering spending 500 dollars on wii games.  I know i have 12 wii games myself and there are 11 more already released games i'd like to get.  It's really the one thing that's kept me from getting  a 360 as i see no need to buy a second console when i already have plenty of games i'm interested in i've yet to buy because i've yet to get through the games i have.(well that and i should be moving in with someone with a 360.) 

It's just fiscally irresponsible to spend a lot on a new console when you still have plenty of games on your old console you want to get.  Those great 360 games I want to play are going to still be out there... and they'll be cheaper when I do.

Of course when that's someone else's money... Why not play with the house money and get the new system?  The point of a gift is to spoil ones self even when it isn't fiscally reponsible.