By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 getting USB storage support in 2010 via update !!!

Yeah, this makes me believe in the Mini 360 moreso.

Anyways, great news for me, I have the 360 Pro, and I could REALLY used even 5 more gb let alone 16. Now I won't have to continually delete and re-download stuff -.-

Around the Network
slowmo said:
nightsurge said:
slowmo said:
nightsurge said:
slowmo said:
nightsurge said:
CommonMan said:
That. . . is really awesome. Also, more things pointing towards a slim, that mobo we saw didn't seem to have memory slots, and now we know why. I'm officially intrigued by the slim rumors now.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  More proof that the slim leaked mobo photos are real as this update removes the need for memory cards and like you said, the photos showed no more memory card slots on the mobo.

There was one memory card slot on that motherboard fella.

OT - great to hear although some people will try and spin this as a negative as always.

No there weren't.  At least not confirmed.  The only place a memory card slot could have been was at the bottom right which I'm hoping was just 2 USB ports like the old models to keep some USB ports at the front.  The other usb port looking thing to the left is where the Ring of Light module plugs into.

That was the memory card connector on the bottom right, its not really questionable if you look at it carefully.  The ring of light module is commonly referred to as the power/RF board as it contains the power switch and the bluetooth receiver for your wireless controllers.  There is no front USB on that board which is one of the reasons I questioned its authenticity.  Thats not to say a front USB isn't possibly connected to one of the headers on the board itself.

Read my updated post.  Those are definitely USB ports and not a memory card slot.  Also, the 360 has no Bluetooth receiver.  It uses RF 2.4GHz for wireless controllers.

Sorry it is RF but you got the idea.  Those are definately not USB ports but one of us will be proven right or wrong if its not a fake.  I've worked on thousands of PC boards and never ever seen a USB connector resemble that, feel free to prove me wrong and show a port that is that same shape and size though.  Also its fuinny how the dimensions in comparison to the Power board connector are exactly the same as the old board.  So the only argument we have for them being USB is some indentations?????

I am a PC builder by trade.  I have handled many different motherboards as well.

Notice that the memory card slots are larger in height than the RF module connector:

When in this picture they appear to be the same height:

Also, more USB ports showing what I am talking about:

@Lord Flashheart: That was not a PC MB. Digital Foundry is almost 100% sure it's new X360 MB. The hell, there's a Xbox 360 printed on one chip just like on Jasper MB

@Nightsurge - The connector does look taller than the power RF connector, compare the back and sides that are on display even when taking into account the angle of the shot. I don't doubt you know what a USB connector looks like, but have you ever honestly seen a connecter that is that wide for USB? For the record at the moment I repair consoles as my job and currently repair around 100 360's each week so I'm more than used to seeing a board from all angles. In the past I've been a system builder on PC's as well as doing desktop/laptop repairs so I'm not unaware of what these components look like either.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree for now anyway as neither can be proved right or wrong and its going off topic.

All i've read on the subject is this
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
All i've read on the subject is this
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/

First reply on that page:

By Nathan Ladwig // Posted at 23:19 on the 17th Mar 2010.

You might want to check the article again, they removed the inaccurate claims about the clarkdale.

http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down-%5Bupdate%5D

[Reply]

Also, no PC motherboards have inputs on both the front and rear.
And @Slowmo, this is my last supporting evidence.  From the scale picture shown earlier:
I definitely agree that I've never seen motherboards where 2 USB ports are laid horizontally beside each other like that, but that could be due to the new design of the 360 and it made more sense orienting it that way.  Who knows.

I think we should put slowmo and nightsurge in the caged circle and let them duke it out!

CommonMan said:
I think we should put slowmo and nightsurge in the caged circle and let them duke it out!

Do I get cookies and koolaid if I win?!

The nice thing about this is that you can buy an arcade for $199 and add a $100 external 1.5 TB drive and you've paid less than some of those other consoles for over 5 times the storage.

Add to it a $60 price drop for Arcade (As has happened in Canada) and you've got a really attractive home console...

Microsoft is looking smarter and smarter for not forcing the HDD and the wireless (I upgraded my 360's to N wireless)

nightsurge said:
CommonMan said:

Do I get cookies and koolaid if I win?!

You can have anything up to and including Jell-o shots.