By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 getting USB storage support in 2010 via update !!!

Microsoft trying to make a high end machine to last the next 5 years?

Around the Network

seems a little late. but i guess everyone is a little late on something this generation.

Really great news!

The only thing I am a bit suspicious of is the ability to play DLC, Games on Demand, and installed to hard drive games off of USB drives. Seems like the data speed limit of USB might negate the benefits of playing games off the hard drive since SATA has a much higher transfer speed.

16G is the storage space of a 20G 360 HDD. it's pretty damn good to be able to double that...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
nightsurge said:
CommonMan said:
That. . . is really awesome. Also, more things pointing towards a slim, that mobo we saw didn't seem to have memory slots, and now we know why. I'm officially intrigued by the slim rumors now.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  More proof that the slim leaked mobo photos are real as this update removes the need for memory cards and like you said, the photos showed no more memory card slots on the mobo.

There was one memory card slot on that motherboard fella.

OT - great to hear although some people will try and spin this as a negative as always.

Why is this such a big deal?

I could understand that if this let you actually have a decent sizes hard drive but 16 gigs?  Meh.

I have a 120gig right now so maybe that's why I don't care a lot but even when I had a 20gig hard drive I don't think I would have really cared about another 16 gigs that much.

that's cool. This feature would be a big benefit if I ever bought a system, as I'd buy a cheap one and I already have extra USB drives that are 2GB.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

twesterm said:

Why is this such a big deal?

I could understand that if this let you actually have a decent sizes hard drive but 16 gigs?  Meh.

I have a 120gig right now so maybe that's why I don't care a lot but even when I had a 20gig hard drive I don't think I would have really cared about another 16 gigs that much.

^ I think it's a pretty sweet deal for the people who have no hdd at all, 20Gb still does the job but 256Mb/512Mb pretty much forces you to buy a hdd if you download games.

edit: Even if MS don't make their awesome chunk from a hdd bought by Arcade owners (and I for example got my 20Gb+extra controller for free from a Black Friday deal, I wouldn't shell out the money for MS overprices hdd), in the end that feature makes the Arcade a lot more competative, at least the way I see it.

slowmo said:
nightsurge said:
CommonMan said:
That. . . is really awesome. Also, more things pointing towards a slim, that mobo we saw didn't seem to have memory slots, and now we know why. I'm officially intrigued by the slim rumors now.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  More proof that the slim leaked mobo photos are real as this update removes the need for memory cards and like you said, the photos showed no more memory card slots on the mobo.

There was one memory card slot on that motherboard fella.

OT - great to hear although some people will try and spin this as a negative as always.

No there weren't.  At least not confirmed.  The only place a memory card slot could have been was at the bottom right which I'm hoping was just 2 USB ports like the old models to keep some USB ports at the front.  The other usb port looking thing to the left is where the Ring of Light module plugs into.