By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: Move is not meant to replace current controllers

Lastgengamer said:

“We have 36 developers on board for this, the who’s-who of the development community and just from our worldwide studios alone, you’re going to see twenty games this fiscal year and it’s going to span the casual and hardcore”.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/16/tretton-move-is-not-meant-to-replace-current-controllers/

ALERT: Potential Shovelware incoming...

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

I'm glad to hear that they aren't replacing the controller with the move controller. I'll be interested in seeing how the games are once it comes out but I"m not sold on it yet.

jneul said:
WilliamWatts said:

ok i already told you off for posting negativity in ps forums, so let me ask you this how many games did wii have when it came out, and yes it was more expensive back then as well, if you are in doubt about 1st party games just look at my thread for the move. /end argument

How many games it had doesn't matter. How many games it has now does matter. I'll have none of this alligned launches BS.

czecherychestnut said:

About 3 decades ago, game developers discovered that you could make games that allowed the user to change the difficulty level, without having to write a whole new game! Amazing I know. Do you think that Sony might have incorporated this amazing discovery into their sports games, so that casuals could kick arse through random swinging, but people who are good at table tennis could challenge themselves by making it more accurate and harder? It is a scary time we live in.

And looking at Wii software sales, tacked on motion controls are no barrier to success.

Wii Sports has difficulty levels, obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh and where exactly have the tacked on motion control games succeeded so admirably compared to the ones designed for it from the ground up?

WilliamWatts said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

Way better huh? Well does that make it way more fun? The only game where pure accuracy = fun is Gran Turismo, but I fail to see how Move is applicable for this game. The Wii has done pretty well for having computational power far lower than the PS3 so I doubt this is a contest pure technology is going to win if it hasn't already. If you just want a table tennis game you could get a table and a couple of rackets and a ping pong ball and you'll probably have more fun than with the PS3.

Most people didn't buy the PS3 until there were well over 200 titles available to it. So I don't see how 20 titles really ammounts for much in the scheme of things especially when Nintendo already has a mature library of titles. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2012 for the PS3 to catch up? What he says overall is terrible, if you read between the lines at what he is really saying. Hes not going to support Move the way Nintendo supports the Wiimote so you may as well face it and admit that the Move isn't going to Move much until next generation.

Now see I don't see such a meaning in between the lines as you in this case. For me, he is just reassuring the current gamers who do not like using motion tech in their games that Move won't be forced upon them. That they will have an option always.

As for the table tennis thing, it's just an example. Ofcourse there are many things if you do for real will be more fun :P What was that supposed to prove? It's like saying, oh why bother with Wii play when you can go do the same thing in real life. It's a game aimed at the casual audience mainly. People come to your house, and you either pull out a table tennis table or just plug in the Move? The more convenient and plausible option is obvious no?

As for the games, I have played the Wii, many times. Have I played Move yet? Nope :D So I won't say it's fun or not fun cuz frankly I have no idea as of now.

As for the number of titles. 20 means they won't stop everything they are doing just to give us Move games. It means they will give us the games the current group wants AS WELL AS games that use or impliment Move. Given the Sony line up this year, I for one am very happy so far. I just 'hope' those games are of good quality.

Options = game with motion controls tacked on. I.E. The move is just another way to point an analogue stick essentially. 20 titles is too few after you remove the unsuitable and the ones you aren't interested in. Out of perhaps 400 games available on the PS3 are you interested in more than 40?

A game like table tennis + accuracy = burying the casual audience under their own ineptness. Most people cannot play table tennis effectively. Fewer will be able to play Move table tennis. Its a hardcore casual game, but when has that ever worked out? The reason why Wii Sports is effective is that anyone can pick it up and play, even people who had never used the controller before.

lol wha? So adding more to motion controls is gonna lead to bury the audience cuz they aren't pro at table tennis? I mean really?

The lack of motion sensing on the wii makes players get buried in there boredom because everyone is doing the same thing with skills not needed. See what I did there? Is that what you want 'gaming' to be?

Unless your playmates are pro table tennis I doubt that it will make a difference. If the player is good then he is good.

Go check the official Move thread for the upcoming titles. You will see some good variety in there. There will be something for all. And again, with a PS3, you get MORE than just MOVE. You get all the great games it has to offer as well. So it's not the next Wii. It's the PS3 with just something in addition. And also do you think the casual market will buy 20 -30 games in half an year for a household? Be reasonable here. I know wii owners who still haven't bought more than 5 games since launch because that's enough for them to entertain their guests. As long as the Move has at least 5 games I would enjoy I'll buy it.

Sigh let's face it. You don't like the Move. You haven't tried as everyone else. You have never said anything good about it. You make up one random reason after the other on Move related threads and frankly your making absolute no sense. If you do not like it so much, don't post in these threads. It's getting tiring

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

Options = game with motion controls tacked on. I.E. The move is just another way to point an analogue stick essentially. 20 titles is too few after you remove the unsuitable and the ones you aren't interested in. Out of perhaps 400 games available on the PS3 are you interested in more than 40?

A game like table tennis + accuracy = burying the casual audience under their own ineptness. Most people cannot play table tennis effectively. Fewer will be able to play Move table tennis. Its a hardcore casual game, but when has that ever worked out? The reason why Wii Sports is effective is that anyone can pick it up and play, even people who had never used the controller before.

lol wha? So adding more to motion controls is gonna lead to bury the audience cuz they aren't pro at table tennis? I mean really?

The lack of motion sensing on the wii makes players get buried in there boredom because everyone is doing the same thing with skills not needed. See what I did there? Is that what you want 'gaming' to be?

Unless your playmates are pro table tennis I doubt that it will make a difference. If the player is good then he is good.

Go check the official Move thread for the upcoming titles. You will see some good variety in there. There will be something for all. And again, with a PS3, you get MORE than just MOVE. You get all the great games it has to offer as well. So it's not the next Wii. It's the PS3 with just something in addition. And also do you think the casual market will buy 20 -30 games in half an year for a household? Be reasonable here. I know wii owners who still haven't bought more than 5 games since launch because that's enough for them to entertain their guests. As long as the Move has at least 5 games I would enjoy I'll buy it.

Sigh let's face it. You don't like the Move. You haven't tried as everyone else. You have never said anything good about it. You make up one random reason after the other on Move related threads and frankly your making absolute no sense. If you do not like it so much, don't post in these threads. It's getting tiring

Nope, I want gaming to be 'fun' no matter how lame that fun may appear to you.

Get more than just Move? Gawd! Most people (regular people) don't give a crap about every game Sony has released thus far on the PS3. Its a simple fact, and whether or not they tack on some motion controls isn't going to make them like the games any more than they already do. If people were buying the PS3 for Sony's games then they would have bought a hell of a lot more of them! Sony doesn't get it, they aim for a hardcore market and they miss pretty much everyone else.

If they release 20 games with the move about 50% of them will suck, its mathematics. Then that leaves 5 each casual/hardcore and out of those perhaps at most on average 1 or 2 will be compelling. Thats simply not enough to really justify any form of expenditure unless you've already made up your mind sight unseen that you want the interface.

Why will the move fail? Because Sony has already failed. Its as simple as that. Their first party games don't cross even a 10% attach rate threshold very often because they suck at giving them a wide appeal. They aren't going to suddently turn around after failing for 3 generations thus far at releasing wide appeal content and suddenly pull a couple of home runs. Its obvious they are going to fail with Move because they haven't got it in them to succeed. Nintendo wins because they released several home run titles this generation, much more than Sony has ever released in their history.

WilliamWatts said:
czecherychestnut said:

About 3 decades ago, game developers discovered that you could make games that allowed the user to change the difficulty level, without having to write a whole new game! Amazing I know. Do you think that Sony might have incorporated this amazing discovery into their sports games, so that casuals could kick arse through random swinging, but people who are good at table tennis could challenge themselves by making it more accurate and harder? It is a scary time we live in.

And looking at Wii software sales, tacked on motion controls are no barrier to success.

Wii Sports has difficulty levels, obviously you don't know what you're talking about.

Oh and where exactly have the tacked on motion control games succeeded so admirably compared to the ones designed for it from the ground up?

clap..........clap...........clap

wow, talk about missing the point. I never said Wii sports didn't have difficulty levels. Are you really that paranoid about criticism of the Wii that you need to imagine it? My point was that your statement that more accuracy would 'scare' away casuals is ridiculous.

That statement pretty much means that it will fail.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Guys just ignore WilliamWatts, he is a complete Fanboy just trying to stir up trouble.

Anyways, nice words Tretton, glad it won't be mandatory. Though they should still make a hardcore game that is specifically made for Move. Also, FPS with Move > Dualshock.

Did people actually think Move was going to replace Dualshock? I mean seriously, if you think it's going to fail because you won't be required to use Move then you're mistaken. Why would any company force an add-on on you and get rid of what had been working for them for almost their entire gaming career.

It would be like if Nintendo came out with a new type of Wii Controller. Then tell you that all upcoming games would be made specifically for that controller rendering the WiiMote obsolete, yeah that would be smart.

• 2010 MUST Haves: WKC, Heavy Rain, GoWIII, Fable III, Mass Effect 2, Bayonetta, Darksiders, FFXIII, Alan Wake, No More Heroes 2, Fragile Dreams: FRotM, Trinity: SoZ, BFBC2.
  • Older Need To Buys: Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Kart Wii, Deadspace, Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2.

There is definitely more to list that I want, but that's my main focus there.

"So we will have a SKU available that has the controllers, has the Eye, and a game build in for under $100"

Notice controllers (plural). So it seems Jack is saying Move+Sub+camera+game=$99.99.

@ WilliamWatts OK, we get it. You hate Sony, you think the PS3 sucks, Move is doomed and brings nothing to the table for gaming and Wii rulez. Thanks for the heads up and we've all been well and truly warned. Your job here is done.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix