By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Tretton: Move is not meant to replace current controllers

M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

lol dude Relax. Did Jack do something personal to you or something?

And the tech on Move is way way better than Wii. It's just the way it is. I won't get into the software too much as it's better to wait until E3 or so to compare the line up, but even small games like table tennis, is more motion sensitive than what the Wii can offer (top spin etc even). I just want a solid Tennis game and I'm sold.

And i feel your interpreting the guy in a weird way here. The Move comes in fall yes? As of now there are 20 or so games ready to be released for those few months alone? I would say that's darn good. And what the guy says is good no? He says for the current ps3 owners like me, what we bought the PS3 for, those reasons will be met by SOny making the Move optional. THAT is a good thing. No matter what there are games that I rather not use Move for or forced to use it for.

Way better huh? Well does that make it way more fun? The only game where pure accuracy = fun is Gran Turismo, but I fail to see how Move is applicable for this game. The Wii has done pretty well for having computational power far lower than the PS3 so I doubt this is a contest pure technology is going to win if it hasn't already. If you just want a table tennis game you could get a table and a couple of rackets and a ping pong ball and you'll probably have more fun than with the PS3.

Most people didn't buy the PS3 until there were well over 200 titles available to it. So I don't see how 20 titles really ammounts for much in the scheme of things especially when Nintendo already has a mature library of titles. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2012 for the PS3 to catch up? What he says overall is terrible, if you read between the lines at what he is really saying. Hes not going to support Move the way Nintendo supports the Wiimote so you may as well face it and admit that the Move isn't going to Move much until next generation.

Around the Network

@WilliamWatts

not support much? they have third-parties on their side, something the Wii can't say... and they have both hardcore and casual offerings to be compatible with Move. To me that offers quite a wider range than the Wii.

PS3, it only does everything > Wii, it only does casuals

WilliamWatts said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

lol dude Relax. Did Jack do something personal to you or something?

And the tech on Move is way way better than Wii. It's just the way it is. I won't get into the software too much as it's better to wait until E3 or so to compare the line up, but even small games like table tennis, is more motion sensitive than what the Wii can offer (top spin etc even). I just want a solid Tennis game and I'm sold.

And i feel your interpreting the guy in a weird way here. The Move comes in fall yes? As of now there are 20 or so games ready to be released for those few months alone? I would say that's darn good. And what the guy says is good no? He says for the current ps3 owners like me, what we bought the PS3 for, those reasons will be met by SOny making the Move optional. THAT is a good thing. No matter what there are games that I rather not use Move for or forced to use it for.

Way better huh? Well does that make it way more fun? The only game where pure accuracy = fun is Gran Turismo, but I fail to see how Move is applicable for this game. The Wii has done pretty well for having computational power far lower than the PS3 so I doubt this is a contest pure technology is going to win if it hasn't already. If you just want a table tennis game you could get a table and a couple of rackets and a ping pong ball and you'll probably have more fun than with the PS3.

Most people didn't buy the PS3 until there were well over 200 titles available to it. So I don't see how 20 titles really ammounts for much in the scheme of things especially when Nintendo already has a mature library of titles. Maybe we'll have to wait until 2012 for the PS3 to catch up? What he says overall is terrible, if you read between the lines at what he is really saying. Hes not going to support Move the way Nintendo supports the Wiimote so you may as well face it and admit that the Move isn't going to Move much until next generation.

Now see I don't see such a meaning in between the lines as you in this case. For me, he is just reassuring the current gamers who do not like using motion tech in their games that Move won't be forced upon them. That they will have an option always.

As for the table tennis thing, it's just an example. Ofcourse there are many things if you do for real will be more fun :P What was that supposed to prove? It's like saying, oh why bother with Wii play when you can go do the same thing in real life. It's a game aimed at the casual audience mainly. People come to your house, and you either pull out a table tennis table or just plug in the Move? The more convenient and plausible option is obvious no?

As for the games, I have played the Wii, many times. Have I played Move yet? Nope :D So I won't say it's fun or not fun cuz frankly I have no idea as of now.

As for the number of titles. 20 means they won't stop everything they are doing just to give us Move games. It means they will give us the games the current group wants AS WELL AS games that use or impliment Move. Given the Sony line up this year, I for one am very happy so far. I just 'hope' those games are of good quality.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I watched the video (Adam Sessler is the only person I respect an listen to fromG4) and I got say, I might just dish out the 100 bucks for this game. I always wanted a PSeye which means I'm practically getting the motion controller for free at that price.

I am the black sheep     "of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong."-Robert Anton Wilson

gekkokamen said:
@WilliamWatts

not support much? they have third-parties on their side, something the Wii can't say... and they have both hardcore and casual offerings to be compatible with Move. To me that offers quite a wider range than the Wii.

PS3, it only does everything > Wii, it only does casuals

Third parties to tack motion controls onto games? Great. Thats worked out so well for the last 3 years... but glad to see you're keen for some punishment. A wider range of nothing huh? I divide 20 games into 10 hardcore / 10 casual and thats not much. That probably amounts to a couple of decent games for each and not much of a range eh?

PS3 only does everything, but everything it does it does do badly. A Jack of all trades is a master of none.

Internet? Wow... no thanks.

Games? People like Wii more.

Err Online? People wanna pay Microsoft $50 rather than getting it for free on the PS3, wierd? Or is there some good reason?

Pictures? I think they took away the card reader?

Linux? Nope.

Backwards Compatibility? Nope, note the competitors have it. Wii has perfect compatibility.

Blu Ray? Yeah its cool but had to buy the remote for extra? Doesn't come with everything. Ditto for HD cable.

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:
Lastgengamer said:

SCEA bossman Jack Tretton has said that Move is not meant to replace current controllers, only to provide the consumer with options.

I take it that means they have the option to ignore the controller and an admission that they won't be bundling it with their mainline SKU. Which also means it probably won't be nearly as heavily supported as you're implying Jack as it simply won't have the install base.

Speaking to G4 during GDC, Tretton also said that while Nintendo may have ushered in the era of motion controls, Sony was right there with it with EyeToy.

“We have a 15-year heritage in this business which in some industries that is a short time, but in the game industry, it is a lifetime,” Tretton told G4’s Adam Sessler.

“PlayStation has come to stand for accuracy, cutting edge technology, and we certainly give Nintendo all the credit in the world for what they have accomplished with motion gaming, but we really feel we ushered that in with the original EyeToy.

Come to stand for cutting edge technology huh? How come the PS2 was the 2nd weakest last generation console then? Also its pretty damn late to give Nintendo credit after talking so much smack. Go away Tretton, suck someone elses nipple please.

“So what we feel we have progressed to is the next generation of motion gaming experience where using the controller and the camera, we’re able to get the most immersive, most realistic, motion gaming experience gamers have ever seen.

You haven't shown off gaming experiences which are better than current generation Wiimote technology from 3 years ago... Jack. You have to do better before you can claim 'next generation' status.

“The key though for the consumer is choice. We don’t want to force motion gaming down their throat, so for the shooter fan, it’s gonna be ‘well, I like motion gaming but I prefer my DualShock’, so that’s going to be be there for them. The thing about this motion gaming is that it’s an add-on, and enhancement, and an extension of what already exists, not a replacement.

I take this as an admission that you're not going to be putting your tier 1 developers into supporting Move with games built from the ground up for the technology. Thanks for the heads up.

“We have 36 developers on board for this, the who’s-who of the development community and just from our worldwide studios alone, you’re going to see twenty games this fiscal year and it’s going to span the casual and hardcore”.

20 games isn't much when your motion controller costs about half as much as an entire Wii.

As far as availability is concerned, Sony doesn’t foresee a shortage at retail for the new controller, like PS3 is currently experiencing, because the controller has been in the makings for a long enough time.

“There’s going to be a large number of controllers available [at launch] but we don’t anticipate a shortage,” said Tretton. “We’ve been working on this for several years, and we also wanted to be able to come up with something that is affordable.

“So we will have a SKU available that has the controllers, has the Eye, and a game build in for under $100 – but we’ll sell the individual components separately too and then we will sell and uber-bundle for the PS3 consumer wanna-be that doesn’t own one yet with everything under one roof for one price”.

The controller is expected sometime in the fall – or at least before the holidays.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/16/tretton-move-is-not-meant-to-replace-current-controllers/

ok i already told you off for posting negativity in ps forums, so let me ask you this how many games did wii have when it came out, and yes it was more expensive back then as well, if you are in doubt about 1st party games just look at my thread for the move. /end argument

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

good article, i am glad they are making it optional, this way hopefully no one shall feel alienated, just be prepared to get owned on shooter games by me, coz come fall i shall be using ps move lol

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Feylic said:

Motion controller BUNDLE will be under 100, and that is a game (60) and a pseye (20 maybe?) so the PS move would actually only be 20.

wow you're way off.

pseye is currently ~$30 and the game bundled in that full set for $100 (less than 100 is always 99) will be that sports game as it will be similar to the cheaper tech demo/games Wii has used to bundle its products.

This means the controller set by itself will probably be ~$60 or the same price as a Wiimote+nunchuk and the sports game will probably be $10-20 stand alone.

M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

Now see I don't see such a meaning in between the lines as you in this case. For me, he is just reassuring the current gamers who do not like using motion tech in their games that Move won't be forced upon them. That they will have an option always.

As for the table tennis thing, it's just an example. Ofcourse there are many things if you do for real will be more fun :P What was that supposed to prove? It's like saying, oh why bother with Wii play when you can go do the same thing in real life. It's a game aimed at the casual audience mainly. People come to your house, and you either pull out a table tennis table or just plug in the Move? The more convenient and plausible option is obvious no?

As for the games, I have played the Wii, many times. Have I played Move yet? Nope :D So I won't say it's fun or not fun cuz frankly I have no idea as of now.

As for the number of titles. 20 means they won't stop everything they are doing just to give us Move games. It means they will give us the games the current group wants AS WELL AS games that use or impliment Move. Given the Sony line up this year, I for one am very happy so far. I just 'hope' those games are of good quality.

Options = game with motion controls tacked on. I.E. The move is just another way to point an analogue stick essentially. 20 titles is too few after you remove the unsuitable and the ones you aren't interested in. Out of perhaps 400 games available on the PS3 are you interested in more than 40?

A game like table tennis + accuracy = burying the casual audience under their own ineptness. Most people cannot play table tennis effectively. Fewer will be able to play Move table tennis. Its a hardcore casual game, but when has that ever worked out? The reason why Wii Sports is effective is that anyone can pick it up and play, even people who had never used the controller before.

WilliamWatts said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
WilliamWatts said:

Options = game with motion controls tacked on. I.E. The move is just another way to point an analogue stick essentially. 20 titles is too few after you remove the unsuitable and the ones you aren't interested in. Out of perhaps 400 games available on the PS3 are you interested in more than 40?

A game like table tennis + accuracy = burying the casual audience under their own ineptness. Most people cannot play table tennis effectively. Fewer will be able to play Move table tennis. Its a hardcore casual game, but when has that ever worked out? The reason why Wii Sports is effective is that anyone can pick it up and play, even people who had never used the controller before.

About 3 decades ago, game developers discovered that you could make games that allowed the user to change the difficulty level, without having to write a whole new game! Amazing I know. Do you think that Sony might have incorporated this amazing discovery into their sports games, so that casuals could kick arse through random swinging, but people who are good at table tennis could challenge themselves by making it more accurate and harder? It is a scary time we live in.

And looking at Wii software sales, tacked on motion controls are no barrier to success.