By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony's Next GEN plan

@ RVDondaPC

You're right, but you're forgetting that PS1 and PS2 were the market leaders for their respective generations. that's why those machines lasted for so long.

PS3 is stuck in 3rd place and not selling at the same pace as the previous Sony consoles.

Around the Network

PS4:

Following Wii's lead, making the blue ocean red.

Small form factor, cute, attractive, acceptable to women. Low initial price ($300, tops). Near current-gen graphics. Built-in PSeye, advanced Johnny Lee style motion control. Wow factor: 3D Graphics used in conjunction with motion, feeling like you're actually dodging projectiles.

I feel Sony will go the Johnny Lee style 3D route, since it can be single player only.  Nintendo will focus on something more multiplayer & family friendly.

And it's too early to predict, but based on what Sony's been doing recently, I'm pretty sure PS4 will tank.

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

RVDondaPC said:
Smashchu2 said:
First off, I think this generation will be quick for both Sony and Microsoft. They have no more aces up their sleeves (save maybe GT5) and the software has not driven the hardware in the long term, only price cuts have helped in the regard. After Move fails, and it probably will, expect the next system between 2011 and 2012.

I think Sony will be moving up market with the PS4. It's goal is going to try and push better graphics and sound as well as 3D, which they will see as the wave of the future. It wont do as much as the PS3 will and be Sony's Gamecube.

How is that quick? The only console to come out in the last 20 years to be around longer and still be selling is the PS2. Do you even know what you are talking about? The PS1 was about 5 years before the PS2 and the PS2 was about 6 before the PS3. If the PS3 came out in 2011 it would be 5 and 2012 would be 6. And again the 360 has already been out for a longer period than the original xbox and 2011 or 2012 would put it on the market significantly longer than it's predecessor.  

At most, it would be 6 years. It's not extremely fast (like 4 for the XBox), but given how long generations normally last at the minimum and the expectations of most people, it will be fast (or at least change fast).

It's interesting that you forgot every system before the PS1.

Smashchu2 said:
RVDondaPC said:
Smashchu2 said:
First off, I think this generation will be quick for both Sony and Microsoft. They have no more aces up their sleeves (save maybe GT5) and the software has not driven the hardware in the long term, only price cuts have helped in the regard. After Move fails, and it probably will, expect the next system between 2011 and 2012.

I think Sony will be moving up market with the PS4. It's goal is going to try and push better graphics and sound as well as 3D, which they will see as the wave of the future. It wont do as much as the PS3 will and be Sony's Gamecube.

How is that quick? The only console to come out in the last 20 years to be around longer and still be selling is the PS2. Do you even know what you are talking about? The PS1 was about 5 years before the PS2 and the PS2 was about 6 before the PS3. If the PS3 came out in 2011 it would be 5 and 2012 would be 6. And again the 360 has already been out for a longer period than the original xbox and 2011 or 2012 would put it on the market significantly longer than it's predecessor.  

At most, it would be 6 years. It's not extremely fast (like 4 for the XBox), but given how long generations normally last at the minimum and the expectations of most people, it will be fast (or at least change fast).

That's because the two companies we are talking about never had a system before the PS1. I didn't just simply forget. The funny thing is now you made me look up how long before the predecessor of each Nintendo and Sega came out and they were exactly the same all within 4-6 years depending on the region(not counting the Sega master system which was only 2-3 years depending on the region). The lone exception being the first NES if you count its Japan only release 2 years prior to the rest of the world. So again 2011-2012 would make the XBOX 360 the second longest console generation of all time for a major video game company and the number 1 longest of all time if you go by worldwide releases. So how you possibly can consider this generation to be quick using your own determined time frame is beyond fathomable. For the PS3 it would be 5-6 years which is the higher end of average. That doesn't help your statement all that much either. 

If you meant the PS3/360 hardware/software sales will die rapidly once the new consoles come out then only time will tell. But I have a feeling you are likening everything to the PS2 and forgetting that the PS3 and XBOX 360 are already about 10 million units larger than any other previous generation console. I doubt they just go away over night. The dynamics of the industry are changing. And nothing is going to be quick any longer. 

I have a feeling that sony will just stick two beefed up cells together and add in a high end GPU. Not much else is needed. Processors now are fine for games. Just video cards need to be updated.

Around the Network

Sony console strategy is largely connected to thier others elertonic consumer assects, Ps2 helped push the DVD, Ps3 came out later because of blu-ray, now sony wants to push 3DTV's, so I think that also some the playstation strategy will be focused on 3D entertainment diffusion.

-Get royalties from Blu-ray discs that Wii2 and 720 will probably use
-Royalties from 3d
-reap benefits from not having to have what was bleeding edge Blu-ray technology that will invariably be overpriced
-greater online offerings, Sony is pushing a corporate-wide initiative to connect virtually everything to the internet, and basically find ways to sell you stuff no matter what type of electronics we are talking about so I would expect the PS division to follow suit

RVDondaPC said:
Smashchu2 said:
RVDondaPC said:
Smashchu2 said:

That's because the two companies we are talking about never had a system before the PS1. I didn't just simply forget. The funny thing is now you made me look up how long before the predecessor of each Nintendo and Sega came out and they were exactly the same all within 4-6 years depending on the region(not counting the Sega master system which was only 2-3 years depending on the region). The lone exception being the first NES if you count its Japan only release 2 years prior to the rest of the world. So again 2011-2012 would make the XBOX 360 the second longest console generation of all time for a major video game company and the number 1 longest of all time if you go by worldwide releases. So how you possibly can consider this generation to be quick using your own determined time frame is beyond fathomable. For the PS3 it would be 5-6 years which is the higher end of average. That doesn't help your statement all that much either. 

If you meant the PS3/360 hardware/software sales will die rapidly once the new consoles come out then only time will tell. But I have a feeling you are likening everything to the PS2 and forgetting that the PS3 and XBOX 360 are already about 10 million units larger than any other previous generation console. I doubt they just go away over night. The dynamics of the industry are changing. And nothing is going to be quick any longer. 

You make some good point, so I'll retract my statement. There are a few problems

Note that I said the hieght was 2012. 2011 is still 5 years which would definatly be fast for Sony (not Microsoft though). Also, doing the average of 10 game consoles, I found an average of 4.9. 5 would fall around the mean, and at least in one standard deviation of it. Either way, it most certainly isn't the high end. Not sure how you can even start to say the 360 and PS3 end in 6 years will be the second/first longest console cycle. NES, Genesis, PS1, PS2 and probably the Atari all beat that. Also, you can not limit the time frame like that (say only the PS1 though PS3 counts). If I talk about how fast a console comes and goes, all consoles matter in that discussion. You can not cherrypick like that.

supercat said:

-Get royalties from Blu-ray discs that Wii2 and 720 will probably use
-Royalties from 3d
-reap benefits from not having to have what was bleeding edge Blu-ray technology that will invariably be overpriced
-greater online offerings, Sony is pushing a corporate-wide initiative to connect virtually everything to the internet, and basically find ways to sell you stuff no matter what type of electronics we are talking about so I would expect the PS division to follow suit

the wii does not even have DVD. you think it will have blu ray?

Smashchu2 said:

So wait... Why is Move going to fail?

You seem so confident. Please, enlighten me on WHY Move will fail?