By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Have Microsoft solidified themselves as a gaming giant equal to Sony?

Damn right J man 144 25.81%

They are getting there 170 30.47%

They arent even close 117 20.97%

Hell to the No 92 16.49%

Silver>Gold 35 6.27%

Total:558
Hus said:
squall747 said:

No actually if you don't count everything then it's comparison isn't fair. So no you fail again to make a point. Its called the success of a console. Games, hardware, 1st party, 3rd party, multiplatform all of it. And when you count everything Sony doesn't kill anything.

Them make the list.

1st 2nd, 3rd party all of it.

If you are so sure.

lol, dude its 2:29 am here. Give it a rest, but I'll sum it up for you this way. Worldwide attach ratio: Xbox 360 (8.64) PS3 (6.68). Do take note Xbox also has more consoles on the market too. Are you happy now? I'm not even trying to bad mouth sony.

Around the Network
luvtospooge said:
WilliamWatts said:

Why the hell do I care about MS? I was just saying that relative to Nintendo both suck in terms of impact so therefore you should find something more productive to argue about.

Wii Sports + Wii Fit + Mario Kart Wii + New Super Mario Brothers = more important than all of Sony's games ever produced in their entire history. If I was to put Nintendo on the same graph as Sony and Microsoft I would have to break the scale so that you could even see Sony and Microsoft on that said graph. So next to Sony's pretty poor efforts this generation and Microsofts lack of ability to perform in this area saying one flea is a little bigger than another is pretty irrelevant.

So no I don't need to even click on the Xbox 360 link above to come up with any response.

Why are you mentioning Nintendo? It's about Microsoft vs Sony in the gaming department. You can't put the Daddy in the fight, unfair.

Big daddy has to get into the fight sometime.

Ping_ii said:
*Sony WON 2 generations in a row,

*MS had 1 year head start and still cant manage to outdo PS3 vastly like Wii has done WW, while ps3 launching @ the most ridiculous price launch ever($600).

*Not even close when it comes to 1st party studio and IP's owned compared to Sony.

And your saying that their equal in terms of brand power?......I WANT THAT CRACK YOUR TAKING!!!

/end thread

Sony today?  Easily... MS might be the bigger brand really.

Sony at their height?  Not even close.  PlayStation used to be synonymous with gaming.

Carl2291 said:
Equal to Sony? No.

Sony have great sales in all regions and have 3 platforms on the market, wheras Microsoft only have 1 platform on the market, that only has great sales in America and a small part of Europe. It has yet to pick up any kind of real momentum in Japan.

All you need to do is take a look at this weeks sales. Without the "Americas", the 360 only sold ~50k in the rest of the world, wheras the PS3 sold ~100k in the rest of the world.

I would say though, that the Xbox brand is now greater than the PS brand in the US, and possibly in the UK.

Well since the USA is the most powerful country and #1 economy in the world then thats all that matters isn't it?

Around the Network
tuscaniman said:
Carl2291 said:
Equal to Sony? No.

Sony have great sales in all regions and have 3 platforms on the market, wheras Microsoft only have 1 platform on the market, that only has great sales in America and a small part of Europe. It has yet to pick up any kind of real momentum in Japan.

All you need to do is take a look at this weeks sales. Without the "Americas", the 360 only sold ~50k in the rest of the world, wheras the PS3 sold ~100k in the rest of the world.

I would say though, that the Xbox brand is now greater than the PS brand in the US, and possibly in the UK.

Well since the USA is the most powerful country and #1 economy in the world then thats all that matters isn't it?

Thanks to America we had a worldwide financial crisis.

The UK is just a small piece of Europe, the rest of Europe is pro-Sony.  

Nice poll btw, giving multiple negative answers makes the only positive one look better.

Therefore all the negative ones should be added and held up against the positve one.

3 options would be better: "Yes", "No" and "Almost there".

No, no no no no!! when they make a console that wins 2 generations, and makes as good as exclusive then please let me know

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

this gen? for sure.. they came with a great online service that is still unbeaten.. but overall theyre nowhere near Sony

Currently playing: MAG, Heavy Rain, Infamous

Getting Plat trophies for: Heavy Rain, Infamous, RE5,  Burnout and GOW collection once I get it.

jarrod said:

Sony today?  Easily... MS might be the bigger brand really.

Sony at their height?  Not even close.  PlayStation used to be synonymous with gaming.

You are the only one who seems to understand from what context I am coming from...

Im not talking about the PS brand at its height nor am I talking about how many ip's they own (which has ZERO to do with brand power) I am talking about in the present and how Sonys falter and MS's strides have made them equals........there are far too many posts that ignore where I am coming from with this.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Also we have to realize that the FPS genre contributed to Microsoft. We live in a generation where kids wont pick up a game unless it has guns in them. Now we all have to admit Sony isnt very shooter heavy. Sony has a little bit of variety which i like. Such as GT5(racing),MLB 10 the show(sports), heavy rain(action drama), uncharted (tps/action adventure), god o war 3(hack n slash/action adventure), and Littlebigplanet(platformer).

I also own an xbox and i own 30 xbox games compared to the 20 i own for ps3. However the only games that come to mind for my xbox are gears of war and halo which are both shooters.

I do think the future is bright for sony. I think people are starting to realize how much better the ps3 is. Of course there are some people who can never let go of MW2 and halo that continuing to buy xboxs. I also thought microsoft was better than sony at a point. In fact i never even owned the Ps2. But ever since i owned the PS3 i was able to explore new genres and enjoy them. I have 10 ps3 games i plan on buying this year compared to the 1 xbox game i will be buying.

After owning a PS3 i will say that Microsoft is not even close to sony gaming wise. But the fps addiction of many people will continue to help the xbox 360 for the rest of the generation.