By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should Nintendo fear..TEH MOVE

BoleroOfFire said:
According to many posters here, Move isn't doing anything remotely related to the Wiimote. It might not even be a motion sensing controller. It's a completely new idea developed by Sony. My answer? No.

According to many posters here, the Wiimote is a one of a kind unique idea that no one ever thought of before.  It was out of the blue and no company in the world ever thought of something like it...Except Nintendo. It's this long line of ridiculously intelligent moves that Nintendo has made which is why this is the first popular Nintendo console since the SNES. 

My answer? No.  If anything, Nintendo should be happy that a major hitter is joining the ranks of motion controls.  More quality games should be coming to the PS3 / Wii because of this especially as there is a even larger user base for it. The Wii has enough of a strangle hold over the PS3/360 that I don't see anything changing too much in regards to that.

I do think that Sony scored themselves a lot more quality future Wii titles.

Around the Network
Maneco said:
Sony won't steal the Wii audience unless the PSMove is cheaper than a Wii Remote + Nunchuk. Assuming all Wii Remotes come with WM+ at US$60 and Nunchuk for US$25, it'll still be cheaper than Move (estimated to cost US$100). And if you don't have the console, you still have to think on its costs, too. PlayStation religious fans will buy it, but I'm unsure if grandma and grandpa will do the same.

That $100 is for the starter kit. That comes with the eye toy, "move", and a game. Each additional one after it would probably cost about as much as a Wiimote 

What it's ultimately going to come down to at the end of the day is the games, not the hardware. If Sony and 3rd parties actually take this device seriously and make some great games that utilize the controller well, it could be a hit. If they however just use it as an after thought to try to appease the "stupid cazuals" and throw out crap like motion party, they will fail. Consumers can pick up if really care and dedication is put into a product. And for Sony's device, I really don't sense that right now. It looks like they're just kind of throwing it out there as a "me too" product. I could be proven wrong though.

megaman79 said:
Lurker said:
Nintendo certainly should not underestimate Sony. Sony has a history of taking Nintendo concepts and beating them at their own game.

Sony actually has a history of manufacturing cheaper consoles, which sell much more than the competition. This is the reason why your observation is false. Sony didn't take anything further, they just sold to more people in more markets.

Gamecube was cheaper than PS2.

axt113 said:
gimmickyWii said:

Lets be honest, the Move is a Wii-mote knockoff (or a wii-mote inspired if you're in denial). So they are both in direct competition for the Wii's dominated demographic-the casuals.

Assuming the PSmove will be successful, Nintendo will most likely be the one to suffer. Because "motion control" has been Nintendo's key differentiation regarding competition & business strategy.

[natal not included in this discussion because very little information has been released about it]

Why would Nintendo be afraid, Move doesn't expand the market, or capture Nintendo's audience, in fact it does nothing that the Wii doesn't already do, for less money and with Nintendo games, basically Move adds no value to the market that isn't already there.

augmented reality and 1-1 tracking :p- that it may capture nintendo casual market it's yet to see.

Around the Network
Lurker said:
megaman79 said:
Lurker said:
Nintendo certainly should not underestimate Sony. Sony has a history of taking Nintendo concepts and beating them at their own game.

Sony actually has a history of manufacturing cheaper consoles, which sell much more than the competition. This is the reason why your observation is false. Sony didn't take anything further, they just sold to more people in more markets.

Gamecube was cheaper than PS2.

Yeah Sony has a history of making better quality for bigger prices, Nintendo tends to make good quality for cheaper prices.

That wasn't intended as an insult.

Why would Nintendo be scared? It's a defensive move (hah). The Move proves that Sony is rattled and trying to catch up, not the other way around.

It's not like Nintendo didn't see this coming. That's why they're always trying to craft new experiences. The balance board in 2008, WM+ in 2009, and now the vitality sensor in 2010.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

No they should fear Natal.

As famousringo said Sony (and MS) both are playing Catch up to the Wii.

famousringo said:
Why would Nintendo be scared? It's a defensive move (hah). The Move proves that Sony is rattled and trying to catch up, not the other way around.

It's not like Nintendo didn't see this coming. That's why they're always trying to craft new experiences. The balance board in 2008, WM+ in 2009, and now the vitality sensor in 2010.

if your interested I have some Info on Some at Sony's very own R&D also saw it Coming also

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=103904&page=1#

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
famousringo said:

if your interested I have some Info on Some at Sony's very own R&D also saw it Coming also

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=103904&page=1#

Yeah, Sony's R&D saw it coming. It's just that the people who actually call the shots at SCE didn't see the light until sometime around 2007/2008.

Dabbling with new interfaces in R&D and occaisionally punting one out as an add-on isn't anything new, but adopting them as a core focus of the platform is rare, because that's where the real risk is. The money men at Sony and MS weren't willing to take that risk until somebody else took the chance and proved it could work.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.