By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry vs. Playstation Move

Alright, Digital Foundry has had a good look at the PS Move, and the first article on it is here (I'll post some tidbits, but the whole thing is a great read):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-playstation-move-article

Sony research and development guru Anton Mikhailov takes point on much of the technical data imparted at the briefing. Straight away he's talking about the "dreaded lag". Yesterday, at the main event, latency with Move was defined as being under one frame - a state of affairs that seems almost unbelievable, putting the motion controller on equal footing with the DualShock 3 and Sixaxis. It turns out that getting the lowest possible latency was one of the team's primary objectives.

"One big issue with EyeToy we always tried to tackle was lighting. If you have low-light conditions, you can't see the user and you can't track him very well. That's why the spheres are illuminated: you can work in pitch-black conditions. Second thing: it's robust. It goes back to precision: if the interface isn't precise, the user starts to blame the interface and we don't want that.

Move also takes care of the basics. When I spoke with Kudo Tsunoda at gamescom last year, I was surprised that you couldn't point with Project Natal. As Anton Mikhailov powers up one of his myriad tech demos, it's clear that Move does pretty much everything a developer or gamer could want from it. Armed with twin wands, he's pointing as you would with a light gun or laser pen.

The next part of the demonstration is exceptionally cool. A puppet is created on-screen that is accurately mimicking Mikhailov's movements. By using a combination of inputs from the Move controllers, combined with head-tracking and what must be some level of interpolation, the demo is entering Project Natal territory. Move is seemingly tracking the entire upper body. Um, wow.

Mikhailov's views on full body motion processing as seen in Natal are intriguing and are difficult to argue with. While Microsoft's controller can scan the entire body well, the bottom line is that a hell of a lot of crucial control information comes from our fingers. Factoring them out is a big gamble to take on something as important as a controller.

"The tracking precision is in the order of millimetres. The tracking distance is about 10 feet from the camera; we have a very wide range," he shares. "The camera's field of view is 75 degrees so you can easily fit one player comfortably and two players as well.

The Move R&D team often talk about "augmented reality", which is essentially the idea of having a video feed on-screen and adding game elements overlaid onto the captured video. In the case of the best game I saw running yesterday, Move Party, various implements are grafted onto your hand depending on the mini-game you're currently playing. As your attention is on the screen, not your hand, the Move controller essentially transforms into whatever the game developer wants.

It's a really neat trick. If you've seen EyePet you have some idea of how in-game graphics can be transposed into the "real life" world, but with Move this takes on an extra dimension as you're holding the items directly and have a one-to-one relationship with them on-screen.

"You really have to feel it to feel why it's different," says Mikhailov. "A lot people think tracking is tracking. It's more precise. So what? It's the same. When you feel how one-to-one and connected it is to your hand, it's a very different experience. It actually feels like you're in the game as opposed to controlling an avatar in the game."

"PlayStation Eye can identify individuals based on their facial characteristics. It does this by recognising characteristics like face contours, the position of the eyes, nose, mouth and eyebrows in real-time," he reveals. "It can determine the degree of smiling, the gender, the age. It doesn't give a numeric age - fortunately! It can tell if you're a child or an adult. It can detect whether your eyes are open or closed.

Part of the frustration with the games played at the launch event was the fact that little of this groundbreaking tech was being used at all. Motion Fighter was - for me - a real missed opportunity. Its gesture-based control system felt laggy and Wii-like. Quite why that style of gameplay was chosen when Move is capable of full body motion-tracking left me both dismayed and bewildered.

"When you go out of camera view, the inertial sensors can be used to keep track of the controller. Wii MotionPlus has similar sensors and it loses tracking after a while," observes Anton Mikhailov.

What this does mean, however, is that all Move games require calibration, a system that isn't required on the more pick-up-and-play Wii. According to the Sony team, you simply stand (or sit) in front of the camera, press a button once and that's it. But last night, calibration proved to be far more intrusive.

"There are different kinds of calibration," Anton Mikhailov responds. "There's system-level calibration. That's what defines the user environment and checks the lighting. It does general sphere calibration and image calibration etc. The thing you were seeing for sports games is actually calibrating to your body size.

But the right people at Sony are clearly having some great ideas, which hopefully we'll see translated into stronger games than many of those seen so far.

The thinking is there, the hardware is there. Now it's just a case of getting the games right.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems Sony haven't actually showcased much of what the Move can really do. Now we can just hope that some developers start using it all the way!

Around the Network

niceee

The thinking is there, the hardware is there. Now it's just a case of getting the games right.

That's definitely what it looked like to me, and that's what we've been hearing from various devs over the past week (like the guy IGN talked to).

I want to see what they have planned for Ape Escape 4.

"The tracking precision is in the order of millimetres. The tracking distance is about 10 feet from the camera; we have a very wide range," he shares. "The camera's field of view is 75 degrees so you can easily fit one player comfortably and two players as well.

lol, that must be one fat person

EDIT: as a note, at 10ft, which is fairly easy to reach, you'd have over 15ft to work with. Now, I guess he is anticipating people holding both hands out in oposite directions, but I can't say there are many games that would have you do that for any non-stupid reasons. Even at 7ft, you'd have 10ft of playing room.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Nice read

I really underestimated the technology behind Sony's motion controller

Now I'll wait for the games that will make me buy it (something like ZOE 3)

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network

Shame this wasn't showcased to the public.

Very good read.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Sounds promising.

Looking forward to: FF Versus XIII / LBP2 / The Last Guardian / Yakuza 4 / ICO Collection

this remember Natal crap last year

you know what : VAPORWAVE

Time to Work !

What was that about this being a wiimote rip off? Oh yeah the haters gonna hate ;)

It is Natal + Wiimote.

Oh and I am sure at a later date a simple firmware upgrade could allow move to not only track the upper body. But the lower body as well. Then you basically really have everything natal can do and everything the wiimote can do. Obviously the camera can well how your legs can move if it can do that with the upper body. I am sure the problem is just getting it to work right at this point ;)

So Sony "adopted" the best of both types of motion tracking [ Wii + Natal ]

It only does EVERYTHING FTW !!