By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Sony copies, we innovate." - Nintendo

Twistedpixel said:
They're right.

Sony copied:

1. The basic design of the SNES controller.
2. Then added analogue stick and rumble.
3. Achievements from Microsoft.
4. Wiimote from Nintendo.

Their innovations are as follows:

1. Making the startling leap of logic that a cd player ought to also play music/DVD drive play movies.
2. That two analogue sticks are better than one.
3. More technology is better than less technology.
4. An aggressive business model of price cuts to drive market share.
5. Something called an Eyetoy but they failed to do anything with it nor see any potential.

Can't remember if any PS1 games used the right analog stick. None ring a bell.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
Honestly, how could you expect Nintendo to NOT respond to such a blatant rip off? It's so close to the Wiimote, it's like an insult in itself really..

Sony has been demoing this remote for 6 years now... how is it a rip off?

psrock said:
What would Nintendo say about the Move, I cant wait to hear.

If they're smart, they'll say:

Yeah, motion controls are cool. Here's what we're doing next.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Rhonin the wizard said:

Why are we discussing a news article from 2006?

Friday 19-May-2006 10:28 AM -- to be exact.

Of course, I think the OP shows that what was true then appears to be true again.

What gets me is that how few people picked up on what today would be a non-sensical comments about force feedback since that was resolved.

Mike form Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

radiantshadow92 said:
Twistedpixel said:

Thats not true, there were CD based gaming systems out before the PS1.

tell him not me, i was just saying what i thought he though maybe =p...i said idk gosh

Err Braid is an awesome game!

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network
joeorc said:
dirkd2323 said:
No actually Atari created gaming

yes an no

the first game's that could be considered computer program's designed for game's were on university's and govt. computer mainframe's

durring the late 60's to 70's, because that's pretty much the only place's  you could get access to one..

bushnell created his first game in 1971  at the university, started  first with only $500.00..

And Bushnell lost an IP lawsuit to Baer over Pong.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

famousringo said:
psrock said:
What would Nintendo say about the Move, I cant wait to hear.

If they're smart, they'll say:

Yeah, motion controls are cool. Here's what we're doing next.

And then Sony will come out with something similar, claiming they have been working with that since 1960 and people will actually buy it. Like one guy that's around here, and keeps using the same BS excuse

LOL, I guess Sony stance is "if you can do it, then we can do it better", and that's exactly what's happened, and because of this, this guy is crying foul.

Oh how the mighty have fallen, clearly he feels threatened by Sony's move, no pun intended.

I my self don't give a rats ass about motion controls, if it was me I'd have all resources put into the games I like rather than this BS motion crap we have now, but hey that's just me.

I am however interested to see how things turn out, I mean Sony has proven it can compete with Nintendo when Nintendo dominates a specific space, case in point the hand held market. while many see the PSP as a failure, one has to recognise that it was the 1st real competition Nintendo has had in that space, and sony managed to steal a good 30% off Nintendo strangle hold in the hand held market, which if you look at it was a success no matter what, and perhaps this same success can be had with the playstion move.....I guess time will tell.

its like watching 2 very rich babys fight

Hmmm, so he's essentially saying "Sony does what Nintendon't"?