By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do Gears And Halo Still Matter?

Probably as much as Mario Kart together or about as much as God of War 3 + Uncharted 2 + Uncharted 1 + Resistance fall of man + Resistance fall of Man 2 + SOCOM + MAG + Killzone 2 combined. Edit: AND Little Big Planet, sorry!

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Around the Network
Grey21 said:
GeOW is big but it never reached the status of Halo. The original was one of the first games that people considered ''nextgen'' and it sort of revolutionized the third person shooter genre. But GeOW never had a wide appeal, it's the same with God of War, decent sales figures but not in comparison to the reviews it got. So does GeOW still matter? Sure to the same people it has always appealed to and GeOW3 will still sell 1-2 million easily.

Halo on the other hand is still very popular as a FPS. Even an overpriced expansion could sell many millions more then it deserved. I don't see any signs of Halo slowing down, which I think is strange because the universe isn't all that interesting anymore. I think Reach will decide to future of the series but right now Halo still matters.

If you're talking first week/day then sure. If you're talking total lifetime you're talking total crap.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

DirtyP2002 said:
nofingershaha said:
DirtyP2002 said:
Ohhh I hate stupid articles. ODST (AN EXPANSION PACK!!!) sold 4.5 million copies in 3 months.

Gears of War 2 was released in 2008 and it still is in the top10 of Xbox Lives most played games. It sold 5 million copies and received great reviews. There are not much games from 2008 people talk about in 2010 anyway.

Let me help you rephrase that, "AN EXPANSION PACK THAT SOLD AT FULL PRICE IN NA!!!", and still it sold 4.5 million copies.

As for Gears of War, consider the impact it had on the shooter genre and perhaps the only shooter that Japanese developers are taking a look at for inspiration.

fixed

now i feel that Steve Balmer needs to bleed

The 2 Gears of War and the two halo games are still the best selling exclusive games on the HD console. Even if they are losing their thunder, they are so far ahead of every other game, that they still will be the biggest hits for the 360. The only exclusive that is even close to them is metal gear solid 4 which is ahead of ODST. Halo 3 has sold better then the most critically acclaimed wii games, with only "wii games" being able to pass it, on a console that most "gamers" buy solely for the Nintendo games.
One thing that has happened is that most of the best selling games have become multiplatform. CoD, GTA, AC, GH, have all outsold gears and except assassins creed halo. Final Fantasy, and Battlefield Bad company also have a shot at outselling gears in total sales. There are others as well.
The two franchises might have lost some thunder, but they are still the most relevant games the 360 has, and PS3 still has no exclusive to match them purely from sales perspective. GT5 will probably be the first exclusive to pass Gears.

enragedorange said:
The 2 Gears of War and the two halo games are still the best selling exclusive games on the HD console. Even if they are losing their thunder, they are so far ahead of every other game, that they still will be the biggest hits for the 360. The only exclusive that is even close to them is metal gear solid 4 which is ahead of ODST. Halo 3 has sold better then the most critically acclaimed wii games, with only "wii games" being able to pass it, on a console that most "gamers" buy solely for the Nintendo games.
One thing that has happened is that most of the best selling games have become multiplatform. CoD, GTA, AC, GH, have all outsold gears and except assassins creed halo. Final Fantasy, and Battlefield Bad company also have a shot at outselling gears in total sales. There are others as well.
The two franchises might have lost some thunder, but they are still the most relevant games the 360 has, and PS3 still has no exclusive to match them purely from sales perspective. GT5 will probably be the first exclusive to pass Gears.

even that is not guaranteed.

maybe NASCAR will tip it in GT5's favour in the US, but still.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network

What a silly Article, Halo and Gears are still one of the biggest franchises in Gaming. Halo 3 sold loads, ODST did very well and reach will continue this trend.

Those are one of the biggest non Nintendo franchises at the moment

It's so hard to even respond because the original author is so lost in his line of thinking.

Considering Gears 3 will break the 5 Million barrier... And Halo Reach will break the 10 Million barrier... I don't see how this is true.

They may lose some sales because of Call of Duty, but not many.

I think Gears 3 will still sell 4-5 million, and Halo Reach could sell up to like 8 million IMO.

what is this guy talking about halo 3 sold 11 million copies and it came out near the same time cod 4 did