By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Do Gears And Halo Still Matter?

Do Gears And Halo Still Matter?

This article was written by: Mike Murphy

http://www.platformnation.com/2010/03/11/do-gears-and-halo-still-matter/

It seems like not long ago, both the Halo and Gears series were top dogs in the world of gaming, but is that still true?
While the last entries in both series managed to move decent numbers, it does seem as though both critical and general interest is waning. ODST and Gears 2 seemed to have a good start out the gate, but within a week or two, they quickly faded from view as other titles took the spotlight.
When did the loss of interest start with these titles? I think it began with two games: Modern Warfare, and Halo Wars. Let’s start by taking a look at the latter first.
After riding high with the release of Halo 3, it seemed impossible for Microsoft and Bungie to falter with the franchise. And then, news started to surface of a Halo RTS title. It was almost hard to take seriously. If the project was real, surly it would be a smaller pc-only release, right? Well, no. Halo Wars was released for the 360, and marketed towards gamers as the next big Halo game. The hardcore may have realized Halo and RTS were two tastes that didn’t really go together, but I doubt the casual fan knew what they were in for. So, right there was a huge misstep. I think a lot of Halo fans felt burned after purchasing something they weren’t expecting.
Now let’s talk Modern Warfare. Despite being released almost a year after Call of Duty 4, Gears 2 could barely manage to de-throne the 500-pound gorilla for a few weeks tops, before being faced with dwindling interest and online visibility. Despite being a better game in many ways than Gears 1, Gears 2 just seemed not to click with people for some reason. Modern Warfare was offering something to online gamers that Gears 2 (and most titles to this day, honestly) just wasn’t.
So where does that leave the two titles today? Well, there’s Halo Reach coming soon, which seems hell bent on recapturing the series’ former glory. Fingers crossed it succeeds- the title looks like the most interesting installment since the first one, in my opinion. And then there’s Gears… 3? Maybe? It’s obviously going to happen, but Mr. B and Epic sure are keeping quiet about it.
I just hope by the time these next entries come around, the gaming world hasn’t moved too far away from them for people to care. While by no means the most original concepts in the history of gaming, they both (at their best), serve as great examples of what games do better than almost any other medium: keep people coming back.
-------------------------------
interesting article, but imo halo and gears are fan favourite games so people will pick them up no matter what else is on market.
talking of halo, im about to pick up halo odst, do you recomend it?

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Around the Network

Ohhh I hate stupid articles. ODST (AN EXPANSION PACK!!!) sold 4.5 million copies in 3 months.

Gears of War 2 was released in 2008 and it still is in the top10 of Xbox Lives most played games. It sold 5 million copies and received great reviews. There are not much games from 2008 people talk about in 2010 anyway.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Having 2/3 of the best FPS/TPS franchises exclusive to the 360 does matter.

Franchise-wise, Modern Warfare has given Call of Duty new life, but Gears and Halo are on the rise too.

(Halo ODST and Wars were never meant to surpass Halo 3, Halo Reach on the other hand)

DirtyP2002 said:
Ohhh I hate stupid articles. ODST (AN EXPANSION PACK!!!) sold 4.5 million copies in 3 months.

Gears of War 2 was released in 2008 and it still is in the top10 of Xbox Lives most played games. It sold 5 million copies and received great reviews. There are not much games from 2008 people talk about in 2010 anyway.

Let me help you rephrase that, "AN EXPANSION PACK THAT SOLD AT FULL PRICE!!!", and still it sold 4.5 million copies.

As for Gears of War, consider the impact it had on the shooter genre and perhaps the only shooter that Japanese developers are taking a look at for inspiration.

nofingershaha said:
DirtyP2002 said:

Let me help you rephrase that, "AN EXPANSION PACK THAT SOLD AT FULL PRICE IN NA!!!", and still it sold 4.5 million copies.

As for Gears of War, consider the impact it had on the shooter genre and perhaps the only shooter that Japanese developers are taking a look at for inspiration.

fixed

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

how can they NOT still matter?

crazy.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I could have written a more interesting article without doing any research. That article was more like a post from a normal gamer than a gaming journalist.

as far a give a huge boost 360 no, but they will sell tons regarless

GeOW is big but it never reached the status of Halo. The original was one of the first games that people considered ''nextgen'' and it sort of revolutionized the third person shooter genre. But GeOW never had a wide appeal, it's the same with God of War, decent sales figures but not in comparison to the reviews it got. So does GeOW still matter? Sure to the same people it has always appealed to and GeOW3 will still sell 1-2 million easily.

Halo on the other hand is still very popular as a FPS. Even an overpriced expansion could sell many millions more then it deserved. I don't see any signs of Halo slowing down, which I think is strange because the universe isn't all that interesting anymore. I think Reach will decide to future of the series but right now Halo still matters.

Damnit, do I have to post the top games played on Live for 2009 again?