By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - School cancels prom because of lesbian student... say what?!

dtewi said:
Khuutra said:

....the Waterboy is set in Louisiana, dtewi. You're killing me!

@halogamer1989:

So you don't really see the school system as being an extension of the government, then? I mean, you can't, otherwise this actually would be trampling on somebody's rights

Eh? Aren't they called the Mississippi Muddogs though?

Wouldn't make sense for little Bobby to be able to travel so far every day.

South Central Louisiana State Mud Dogs!

Mississippi is the DEVIL.

@Kasz:

Yeeeeah

I guess that kind of thing does happen

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
dtewi said:
Khuutra said:
I'm not going to make any Mississippi jokes, but I'm from Louisiana, and even we make Mississippi jokes.

I think their education system is pretty consistently ranked as the worst in the country, though we wrestle with them for it! Us and Alabama.

Oh come on, the Waterboy's set in Mississippi. I was sure you would have made a joke using that.

....the Waterboy is set in Louisiana, dtewi. You're killing me!

@halogamer1989:

So you don't really see the school system as being an extension of the government, then? I mean, you can't, otherwise this actually would be trampling on somebody's rights

Schools are an extension of the govt but not all schools.  Public of course are.  It really depends on the actions of the good ol boys in the top office down there.  MS ed is really crappy anyway I would agree ;)  I have a political friend who is from MS but now is in NoVA.  Go figure.

School deserves to be sued, and I hope everyone who voted to cancel it gets fired.

PSN ID: KingFate_

Kasz216 said:
O-D-C said:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/03/11/mississippi.prom.suit/index.html?hpt=T2 

how backwards thinking of a school system is this?

Well it is Mississippi.

If your not familiar with Mississippi... the rest of the south makes fun of Mississippi for being Rednecks or so I hear.

Prom is overrated though... all school dances are.  2-4 hours of sitting around... eating some ok food and then dancing robotically with no fun unless you want the chaperones to get on your asses.

what kind fo boring school dances did u go to?

I think it would be far more productive to create a fair set of rules of conduct to prevent the behaviour they’re afraid ...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:

I think it would be far more productive to create a fair set of rules of conduct to prevent the behaviour they’re afraid ...

Makes you wonder why they are so afriad of. I mean do they think they are going to get naked and..... right there wth

Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:

Makes you wonder why they are so afriad of. I mean do they think they are going to get naked and..... right there wth

While I do think that some of them are probably afraid of some explicit behavior from the girls, I also think that some of them are probably also worried about how the other students will react ...

HappySqurriel said:
Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:

While I do think that some of them are probably afraid of some explicit behavior from the girls, I also think that some of them are probably also worried about how the other students will react ...

If they already know shes gay what would be so different. Anyways I just think it is silly. I am sure they will say we are trying to protect her which is useually bs. WEll, she is what she is and does not wish to hide it,so get over it. Just my thoughts

Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:
Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:

If they already know shes gay what would be so different. Anyways I just think it is silly. I am sure they will say we are trying to protect her which is useually bs. WEll, she is what she is and does not wish to hide it,so get over it. Just my thoughts

I don’t doubt that that is probably the reality, but the people making the decision probably had a very different high-school experience than you are having. Having personally graduated at a time when bullying kids (in particular boys who were suspected of being gay) was considered part of “Boys being boys” I could understand the fear associated with allowing a same-sex couple going to a school event; but I do find it a little odd in part because when I graduated a lesbian couple would be (mostly) acceptable.

HappySqurriel said:
Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:
Games4Fun said:
HappySqurriel said:

I don’t doubt that that is probably the reality, but the people making the decision probably had a very different high-school experience than you are having. Having personally graduated at a time when bullying kids (in particular boys who were suspected of being gay) was considered part of “Boys being boys” I could understand the fear associated with allowing a same-sex couple going to a school event; but I do find it a little odd in part because when I graduated a lesbian couple would be (mostly) acceptable.

My high school was like that also. In fact you got bullied for not being a (rednecktype or jock type) it is sad, but again if they already know it really makes no difference. But all they are doing is backing up that same behavour. Dont tell they will hurt your feelings or well I guess worse. But again they all already know.