By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSN to become Like Xbox live - Paid Subscription

MeTc123_VG_EditioN_ said:
Didn't realise this thread grew this much,

Back to the point, from reading the comments & hearing what my friends have said

PSN is Inferior to XBL, Maybe this will help to bridge the gap..... ?

I'm asking this honestly, because I don't know but i have been told Live is better, how is Live better excatly?

Around the Network
Kage848 said:

Back to the point, from reading the comments & hearing what my friends have said

I'm asking this honestly, because I don't know but i have been told Live is better, how is Live better excatly?

How to answer that question?

Technically Live is way ahead of psn, but you'd need to use both services to see why Live works.

Its doubtful that it'll be a pay to play online service ala live. I think that'll come next generation.

burgerstein said:
Every time this rumour comes up it's false. If they do ever do that I'm selling my PS3 and tell everyone I know never to buy one.

LoL... It's going to happen this year. 

PS3 is selling at a loss, they need to make back the money from somewhere

you'll be able to do basic stuff on psn without paying so it will essentially be psn's version on XBL

No. The key difference is, that you won't be paying to use your internet twice. All current free features will remain free. You'll still be able to play your games online etc.

Check out my game about moles ^

Kage848 said:

How to answer that question?

Technically Live is way ahead of psn, but you'd need to use both services to see why Live works.

Hmmm.

Well I'm not going to be getting a 360. At elast no time soon and probibly never but I still would like to know. Can anyone here please tell me why Live is better.

thanks.

Around the Network

As pointed out Sony said the current functionality stays free.

Having to subscribe to play online as well as needing my online gaming buddies to subscribe (a la XBox) would be quite a pain.

In general I think the PSN is much better not only because of the above, but with many top games providing lag free online gaming while usually supporting many more simultaneously online gamers as well. Online distributed PSN games are IMO also better, like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD, WipeOut HD, etc. Also some pretty unique stuff like LittleBigPlanet user created content and actually I prefer the old XBox interface. The PS3 also is much better for watching video/music.

The PSN is already supporting realtime video chat, ingame chat, message notifications, etc. And Playstation Home is also nice and free for having a gaming party if you want.

The Party chat feature as being hyped by XBox 360 fans seems pretty useless to myself. I could use my laptop for that, but I am not interested in realtime chatting with people who are busy doing something entirely else than I am. I'm not going to subscribe for that.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

well, I guess this was bound to happen.
But I heard here and then online gaming would still be free, only extra content downloads would require a subscription.

the basics (as PSN is today) will remain free.

MikeB said:

Having to subscribe to play online as well as needing my online gaming buddies to subscribe (a la XBox) would be quite a pain.

In general I think the PSN is much better not only because of the above, but with many top games providing lag free online gaming while usually supporting many more simultaneously online gamers as well. Online distributed PSN games are IMO also better, like Warhawk, Super Stardust HD, WipeOut HD, etc. Also some pretty unique stuff like LittleBigPlanet user created content and actually I prefer the old XBox interface. The PS3 also is much better for watching video/music.

The PSN is already supporting realtime video chat, ingame chat, message notifications, etc. And Playstation Home is also nice and free for having a gaming party if you want.

The Party chat feature as being hyped by XBox 360 fans seems pretty useless to myself. I could use my laptop for that, but I am not interested in realtime chatting with people who are busy doing something entirely else than I am. I'm not going to subscribe for that.

Your clearly bias,

I have many friends with psn: xbl and the oppinion remains the same

PSN isn't in the same league of XBL....

they all play the multiformat games (Modern Warfare 2 ect) on XBL becuase of peformance, users

hopefully this will improve the infrastructure of PSN, make no mistake. . . XBL is the Standard

for god sake PSN FAILED last week!!!! do you really need reminding? and improvement is needed as a matter of urgency.

MikeB said:

Your clearly bias,

I have many friends with psn: xbl and the oppinion remains the same

PSN isn't in the same league of XBL....

they all play the multiformat games (Modern Warfare 2 ect) on XBL becuase of peformance, users

hopefully this will improve the infrastructure of PSN, make no mistake. . . XBL is the Standard

for god sake PSN FAILED last week!!!! do you really need reminding? and improvement is needed as a matter of urgency.

Here in the Netherlands there doens't appear to be a "users advantage", more like a disadvantage as the average 360 user seems less mature. AFAIK Modern Warfare 2 performs similarly, but many PS3 exclusives perform far superior online with regard to performance. So far I read the online performance of MAG with up to 256 online players is quite adequate, that's technically in a different league compared to laggy 4 vs 4 Gears of War battles I experienced in the past.

Also note Microsoft's network has been down for a week in the past (something you pay extra for) and experiencing the more common hardware failures for that platform can be quite a drag as well.

Are you sure you aren't biased yourself?

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales