By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What does Sony think about its (new) customers?

I think I'm a tolerant person. I'm usually very open to new things. When it comes to business I'm pretty fast at critizising a company if I think it has done a wrong move (and I love predicting business moves) so I usually lean back, take a deep breath and make up my mind later on.

But I really need to ask this now.

I think I'm a casual gamer at heart. I've never really been interested in the games that are hyped in forums like this. I'm the type of person who loves Chip & Dale (NES) because of its co-op mode, someone who shuts down Halo to play Ducktails for NES. (just look at my avatar, I love that game!)

Even worse after I had finished Metroid Prime 3 I was like "Ok... that was rather boring" but when Mario Brothers Wii was released my friends and I locked into a room and played for more than 10 hours straight, wallowing in memories over our first Mario World and Mario Bros. 3 playthroughs.

I think Killzone 2 looks boring but I'm excited for Gran Turismo 5 because it looks so un-nerdy.

When Wii Sports Resort was announced I was going crazy and my friends were like "Jeez! Buy it! But do NOT play it until we've come over!" but when Metroid: Other M was announced I looked away in disgust.

Or to be more precise: I am the target audience for Sony's "Move" controller!

And because of this I have to ask this question: What the hell does Sony think about its audience?

When I watched the Sports Champions video I stared at the screen and asked myself: Do they think I'm stupid? Do they really think the "expanded audience" is going to like this? Do they really think I am going to "upgrade" to a Playstation 3 because of a Wii Sports Resort clone without a soul? Just notice how they use the word "upgrade", like people who bought a Wii were silly and bought a second-class product! People outside the hardcore gaming world very well knew why they bought a Wii and not a Playstation 3, they were not dumb and fell for Nintendo's marketing campaign!

Do they really think their new target audience is going to buy "Motion Fighter"? I like Wii Sports boxing but I don't want to beat up people in such a realistic manner! Why would I do that? Imagine sitting in front of a PC watching this video and the woman you love comes into the room and goes like "Oh my god! That's disgusting! Turn this off!" 50% of the Wii audience are women, right? Well there goes that audience!

You know for years Sony made bad jokes about Nintendo and its audience and how they were "casual gamers" and were just too silly to understand gaming, in a more or less subtle manner. And all of a sudden they want me to buy their console? Sony even said they don't want me as their customer because I do not buy any games!

When Nintendo revealed its Wii games hardcore gamers were like "lol casuals!" but to everyone else the games looked like: "Hi! My name is Wii Sports! I've been made just for you!" But Sony's motion games look at you and say: "Hey you! I know you're dumb so buy me! I've been made for silly people who don't understand what gaming is. People like you!"

If you think I'm stupid or have a thin skin or something do the following: Head over to apple.com and read the "Mabook White" page. It tells you that the Macbook white is for everyone, is so great because it is unibody and perfect for all kinds of intense gaming and then get excited over the idea of buying a macbook white. Then head over to the Macbook Pro page which goes "Lol Macbook!" in each sentence. It's like Steve Jobs laughing at your face for considering a Macbook White purchase. And if you still don't get it now you're just too much of a hardcore gamer to understand 90% of the videogaming population, which isn't bad at all but makes it hard for you to understand why I'm on a rant right now.

So here's my question: Do you really think Sony just started to take this new audience serious? Do you think they were laughing at "casual gamers" for 3 years straight just to change they attitude over night and think they are worth putting their best development teams behind those games? Do you think Sony thinks of those people as first class customers?

And the most important question: Do you think these people are too silly to understand when someone tries to screw them?

I don't think so. And that's why I really think Sony is just trying to screw me beacuse they think I'm stupid.

Around the Network

Excellent post and I have to agree with the first half, the issue is Sony doesn't know how to address this new audience properly so they're imitating or making core-type games built around the motion controls that end up being worse than other core titles (motion fighters being a prime example).

I don't think that Sony think the Wii consumer is stupid though, they're just having trouble working out how to appeal to them properly.

I think casuals are stupid.. i really do. I dont mean anything by it, i just dont see how a grown man can enjoy "avatar" boxing etc. Might be that im limited in how i judge people, because the only kind of grown men i see enjoying that type of stuff is the same kind of men that have a Neverland Ranch in their back yard.

puffy said:
Excellent post and I have to agree with the first half, the issue is Sony doesn't know how to address this new audience properly so they're imitating or making core-type games built around the motion controls that end up being worse than other core titles (motion fighters being a prime example).

I don't think that Sony think the Wii consumer is stupid though, they're just having trouble working out how to appeal to them properly.

You bet ;)

Liking coop doesn't make you a casual gamer or hardcore as you make it sound like only casual gamerz like it. .

Wii created a huge casual market that didn't exist before, how would they know it would have flooded the market years later, so of course other companies want to join in. They are certainly not saying screw casuals as no one can see the future.

And the way you write about Nintendo makes it sound like its only for casual gamers, bullshit its for everybody. All gaming is for everybody, pick what you like. You sound delusional saying Sony is trying to mislead and scre casuals, Sony won't half ass this for casuals, probably for the hardcore.

Around the Network

I like the Apple Macbook analogy

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

I think you have taken the whole thing as a personal insult and or attack at gamers such as yourself.

As you yourself are aware, there is morethan one type of gamer and not all women out there are casual gamers or just like playing Wii Fit. My mum who is South Asian and around 50years old loves playing video games; casual and hardcore! My dad who is around the same age loves video games of all sorts and so does my 14 year old sister. Saying 50% of women are casual gamers may been seen as offensive to women as you felt offended by SOny's statement.

As for Sony saying the games are an upgrade (the Wii sports resort clone), I would have to agree to an extent, since the visuals and audio will be an upgrade and the addition of a camera will also be an upgrade on just have motion controllers. I.E Eyepet where you can interact in several ways other than just the motion wands. Does that mean Wii owners are stupid? No! It just means they are being offered another form of gamplay which to an extent is an upgrade from what the Wii offers.

I do agree that Sony do not know how to sell it to the masses. I mean the move party thing was boooooooring! the fight game was awesome. Yes, it is realistic but no one said it is being built for the casuals. With the blood and bruising it is fairly obvius it is aimed at beat em up fans as supposed to "50% of women" and or casuals.

I am glad that Sony is releasing a decent number of hardcore and casual titles, although I have to say (since I like the odd casual game. I have eyepet, High velocity bowling, bejewelled, flower and some more), the casual games they demo'd were a bit lacking. I am sure they could have made something than a Wii resorts clone!

To end my post, I think you shouldn't take is at a personal insult from Sony since I don't think it is. I think you looked far too deep into it and by doing so you went far to deep into the rabbit hole.

i have no problem sony copying whatever the want legally. Its just really troubling that they do it three years after dismissing the wii and calling it a fad. Some are even still calling it a fad.

You are 100% right. Ducktales is a glorious game, and so underrated.

The pogo stick attack itself makes it legendary. When will it come to VC?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

A lot of old Disney games are great. I recall a Mickey game on the SNES that was also quite fantastic.

But Ducktales was definitely a Milestone for Dagobert.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.