By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN: PlayStation Move, The Wii Perspective

trestres said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"and definitely sleeker than Nintendo's four-and-a-half-year-old device."

November 2006 to March 2010 is three years and four months. Can't these people count?

I got into a heated discussion over that a few days ago. Cammie said Wii was into its 5th year, and when I told everyone that I didn't understand why would Cammie say such thing, they told me to learn to count lol. It's 3 and 4 months, like you say, but people count 2006 and 2010 as whole years :/

Well the difference there is that works because it's not defining a certain date but saying it has spanned 5 different yeas.  Which is true as it launched November 2006 and we are currently in 2010.  5 different years it has been out.  As long as they don't try to detail the actual lenght, that is technically true.  But saying something is 4 and a half years old when the product has actuallly been on the market for 3 years and four months is completely wrong.

Only way I could see that as right, is if they mean when it was first shown back in September 2005.  Technically it has been 4 years and 6 months since that time, and I'm guessing that is what Mr. Harris meant.  Should probably put context for that, or otherwise it doesn't make sense as most people take release month not prototype first shown to the media.

Around the Network

IGN isn't giving WM+ enough credit. The experience between WM+ and Move should be very similar overall, save for the enhanced reality experience.

There are only a handful of decent games out for WM+ at this time, so I don't think people can make premature judgements about Wii's tech vs. Move. All in All, move accurate sensing can only have minor effects in gameplay and enjoyability factors.

Much more important is game design and how much leeway the game designers give in the translation of the motion controller movements into the game-- it can't be a 100% perfect translation or gamers would be very frustrated. I suck at golf in the real world, and if they transferred by real swing into Tiger Woods '10, I would be one frustrated gamer. All sports games have to have this translation factor to appeal to the casual crowd. This is why the perceived larger accuracy of Move is largely irrelevant.

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Zucas said:
trestres said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
"and definitely sleeker than Nintendo's four-and-a-half-year-old device."

November 2006 to March 2010 is three years and four months. Can't these people count?

I got into a heated discussion over that a few days ago. Cammie said Wii was into its 5th year, and when I told everyone that I didn't understand why would Cammie say such thing, they told me to learn to count lol. It's 3 and 4 months, like you say, but people count 2006 and 2010 as whole years :/

Well the difference there is that works because it's not defining a certain date but saying it has spanned 5 different yeas.  Which is true as it launched November 2006 and we are currently in 2010.  5 different years it has been out.  As long as they don't try to detail the actual lenght, that is technically true.  But saying something is 4 and a half years old when the product has actuallly been on the market for 3 years and four months is completely wrong.

Only way I could see that as right, is if they mean when it was first shown back in September 2005.  Technically it has been 4 years and 6 months since that time, and I'm guessing that is what Mr. Harris meant.  Should probably put context for that, or otherwise it doesn't make sense as most people take release month not prototype first shown to the media.

Yeah, things always get different connotations and meanings depending on the situation and who reads them mostly. I think it was a case of PR talk by Cammie. This guy probably refers to it like what you are saying. But then the PS Move is already a year old or so going by that logic since it was revealed during last E3, so the guy is indeed wrong no matter how we interpret this.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

*CLAP CLAP*

Sony you just fail hard with this thing ...real hard , do they expecting that the causal see the difference, casual gamers will not see the difference at all ! Its gonna be so funny ^~

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

I am personally offended that a company like Sony that prides itself in being a tech innovator makes such a blatant ripp off.

That being said, this Wiimote v2 will not have an impact unless it is being bundled as the primary input device for all future Playstation 3 sales. Otherwise the userbase will be too low, as seen with Balance Board or WM+.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

too expensive... sorry Sony, nice try

If you want to play/exchange stuff online with me, just send me a message

PAL Region, country set to UK [Wii] 8714 6838 0977 5469

COD W@W FC: 2966 5176 6725
COD MW [Reflex] FC: 3568 2083 1513
Monster Hunter Tri Name: Cobra ID: TJCXVR
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 FC: 5199 8914 0552
SSB Brawl FC: 4641 1109 2262
GoldenEye 007 FC: 0136 4916 1439
Trackmania FC: 0905 1720 9842
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom UAS FC: 1850 4714 0865

[3DS] 1246 - 8738 - 3987

Zucas said:
Pretty fair comparison. Obviously you would expect better tech for something that has had much longer to be able to work out the kinks and more advanced things. However, I think a lot of people just don't give the Wiimote with WM+ enough credit simply because the devs don't give it enough credit. I mean the original wiimote was able to do wonderful tracking and the WM+ pretty much perfected it with easier ability to develop. Yet it's obvious we still haven't gotten the full use out of WM+ and it can do a lot more than we've seen. So comparing it to that doesn't seem to do it justice.

Of course we'll see how well Zelda plays with it and hopefully Nintendo was able to get everything out of it. But what it does seem that Move is able to do a lot of what Wiimote plus WM+ can do, but doesn't seem that it goes above and beyond what it can do. Which is not necessarily a bad thing because obviously the Wiimote is doing things right. But little agitated by the comment that they want to see the thing used for more than the Wiimote is used for despite the Wiimote being incorporated in almost every way possible.

Well said, and couldn't agree more.

I haven't seen a single thing that Sony's product can do, that can't be done with WM+. And with all the talk of lag, I'm even more disappointed. They've had time to work on their copy-cat, and this is all they can do?

Oh, and of course the biggest hurdle for them, aside from pricing, is the fact that their product is not built around these controllers. The Eye-toy might have been a cool add on for the PS2, but it didn't move systems. This too will follow the same path.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!

Faxanadu said:
I am personally offended that a company like Sony that prides itself in being a tech innovator makes such a blatant ripp off.

That being said, this Wiimote v2 will not have an impact unless it is being bundled as the primary input device for all future Playstation 3 sales. Otherwise the userbase will be too low, as seen with Balance Board or WM+.

There are at the very least 22.5 million balance boards around (=sales of Wii Fit), not taking into account all those that bought Wii Fit Plus with the balance board (there are over 10 million WFP sold but how many with balance board is not known. My pessimistic guess would be at the very least 10%)

There are at the very least 14 million WM+ users around (=sales of Wii Sports Resort so far), not taking into account people who haven't bought Sports Resort but bought WM+ as a standalone or bundled in order to play Tiger Woods or one of the tennis games (which between them have sold more than 1.5 million game copies). All this in less than a year.

Do you consider these userbases as too low? 

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin

bmmb1 said:
Faxanadu said:

There are at the very least 22.5 million balance boards around (=sales of Wii Fit), not taking into account all those that bought Wii Fit Plus with the balance board (there are over 10 million WFP sold but how many with balance board is not known. My pessimistic guess would be at the very least 10%)

There are at the very least 14 million WM+ users around (=sales of Wii Sports Resort so far), not taking into account people who haven't bought Sports Resort but bought WM+ as a standalone or bundled in order to play Tiger Woods or one of the tennis games. All this in less than a year.

Yes it is. As opposed to the whole Wii user base. Look at the amount of games made that exclusively use them as input device.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
bmmb1 said:
Faxanadu said:

There are at the very least 14 million WM+ users around (=sales of Wii Sports Resort so far), not taking into account people who haven't bought Sports Resort but bought WM+ as a standalone or bundled in order to play Tiger Woods or one of the tennis games. All this in less than a year.

Yes it is. As opposed to the whole Wii user base. Look at the amount of games made that exclusively use them as input device.

Well we'll have to agree to disagree , I think the amount of games exclusively for these input devices has nothing to do with their penetration.

Currently Playing: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Anticipating: Xenoblade, The Last Story, Mario Kart 7, Rayman Origins, Zelda SS, Crush3D, Tales of the Abyss 3DS, MGS:Snake Eater 3DS, RE:Revelations, Time Travellers, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney, Luigi's Mansion 2, MH TriG, DQ Monsters, Heroes of Ruin