By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy sells ~70,000 in first week IN THE UK !!

FishyJoe said:
Harvey Birdman said:
FishyJoe said:
Harvey Birdman said:

Why does R&C have anyting to do with SMG selling poorly? With those numbers you would think that it was a PS3 title! Seriously, why mention R&C? I think this proves that the Wii is more of a casual console in markets outside the US.

It has about as much to do as Brain Training, COD4 or AC does. The OP is about the UK market, which includes R&C. Even though the title says SMG, this thread is about UK sales. You're the one making the connection to SMG, not me. Read the original post, it is not specifically about SMG.

Well knowing That R&C was never mentioned in ioi's posts you decided to mention the R&C numbers out of nowhere, maybe to throw off the discussion of low sales in SMG's first week. Did anyone ask for those numbers of R&C? Besides you, no one else asked for them.

I didn't see you complaining in any of the other threads not about SMG where SMG sales were mentioned. If you want, I can make a seperate thread about UK R&C sales, would that make you happier?

That would make more sense. It makes more sense than mentioning it out nowhere in a thread about how poor SMG has sold compared to expectations.

You know what would make me happy? Having someone admit that the lack of success for Nintendo's first party games without the words "Party" or "Wii" will classify it as nothing more than a "casual console." The sad thing about this, is that "Wii" fit will back up this argument. I'm not saying that everyone who has a Wii is a casual gamer, i'm saying most of them are. Japan proves this, and Europe will soon. Just my opinion however, and I will get a lot of backlash for this. Oh well......

I'll take the case!!!

Around the Network

Zo noez the cazualz are coming!

Edit: Hahaha, what a great 700th post.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

I heard that those sales of 70,000 for Mario Galaxy are for 2 days. Didn't it just come out a couple of days ago. Its been out since friday the 16th. For 2 days thats pretty dam good.

I wouldn't be surprised if that same wrestling game kills Mario Galaxy in the USA.

You know whats scary? The ps3 outsold super mario galaxy O_O

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
You know whats scary? The ps3 outsold super mario galaxy O_O
Hate to break it to you, you do realize the 70k is UK only, and PS3 numbers is for EU+Oceania (among other places)?

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Harvey Birdman said:
FishyJoe said:
konnichiwa said:
FishyJoe said:
What happened to R&C? It fell off a cliff. It fell to 10th on the PS3 chart in the UK. It's getting killed by a wrestling game.

How is it in godsake possible that everytime you see bad sales for SMG that you start about R&C??

If you have a complaint report me. Again with the attacks, just ignore me if you hate me so much, sheesh.

Why does R&C have anyting to do with SMG selling poorly? With those numbers you would think that it was a PS3 title! Seriously, why mention R&C? I think this proves that the Wii is more of a casual console in markets outside the US. 

They are both platformers that are woefully underperforming expectations?

The platformer may just be dead.

70,000 seems awfully low for a game as big as SMG. To put things in perspective, on a similar userbase, Halo 3 had a launch weeks sales north of 400,000 units in the UK. And correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the relative strength of Halo was weaker in Europe, especially in comparison to some of Nintendo's big hitters.

Maybe this all has a lot to do with Nintendo's shortage of software production at the moment. In the US most Wii *software* is sold out.

Seems the Galaxy is also sold out in many places in the UK (can anyone confirm places where it is still available?).

You can't sell more units than are present on the shelves - it just doesn't happen ;)

It would be really ironic if SOFTWARE production would sting Ninty - rather than hardware. Ouch.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
Maybe this all has a lot to do with Nintendo's shortage of software production at the moment. In the US most Wii *software* is sold out.

Seems the Galaxy is also sold out in many places in the UK (can anyone confirm places where it is still available?).

You can't sell more units than are present on the shelves - it just doesn't happen ;)

It would be really ironic if SOFTWARE production would sting Ninty - rather than hardware. Ouch.

I have a hard time believing it was a software production issue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Japan SMG has only sold around half of it's initial retailer shipment of 700,000 so far. But I guess they could've underestimated the demand in Europe as well as overestimated it's demand in Japan.

Either way, software production is one area where Nintendo should not have f'ed up in. It's their bread and butter, their core business. It's not like sales have been so massive for SMG (where we have numbers) that such a shortage would be understandable. What's going on at Nintendo, and with the Wii userbase?