By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy sells ~70,000 in first week IN THE UK !!

@ NJ5

azurill: This is 2 days only!35k per day is great.Multiply it and you'l see that next weeks sales will be at least 200k.

Avanish_Tyagi: This would indicate two possibilities, either, the Wii userbase is very casual outside of NA, indicating why a more "hardcore" title like Mario posts relatively weak sales, or people are holding off until the holidays to purchase this game

Routsounmanman: Nintendo Europe has announced in the past that there will be SMG shortages specifically in UK.

GianCarmen: I heard that those sales of 70,000 for Mario Galaxy are for 2 days. Didn't it just come out a couple of days ago. Its been out since friday the 16th. For 2 days thats pretty dam good.

takkxyz: Hate to break it to you, you do realize the 70k is UK only

I'd call them excuses...

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
azurill: This is 2 days only!35k per day is great.Multiply it and you'l see that next weeks sales will be at least 200k.

Avanish_Tyagi: This would indicate two possibilities, either, the Wii userbase is very casual outside of NA, indicating why a more "hardcore" title like Mario posts relatively weak sales, or people are holding off until the holidays to purchase this game

Routsounmanman: Nintendo Europe has announced in the past that there will be SMG shortages specifically in UK.

GianCarmen: I heard that those sales of 70,000 for Mario Galaxy are for 2 days. Didn't it just come out a couple of days ago. Its been out since friday the 16th. For 2 days thats pretty dam good.

I'd call them excuses...

An explanation offered to justify something.

Yes those are excuses. But logical ones.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

dtewi said:
DMeisterJ said:

I'd call them excuses...

Never said that they weren't logical, said that they were making excuses. 

Also I forgot to add your excuse: 

It has only been out for four days. How can you get a week's worth of data for that. It is good for a game that has been out 4 days and this is 1/3 of their market.

My thread didn't question the logic I was just saying what was going to/and has happened.  The logic does need to be questioned based on the knowledge that any games first week sales are not a whole week.  US games go from tues-sat (5 days), Japan games go from thrus-sn (4 days), and the UK is also 4 days.  Every game's firs tweek is only four days.  I don't see how that is something special since every game has a stunted first week.  And I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say (I could be wrong) that a game that has gotten as much publicity and marketing as this game has sold more in the second week in the first week.. I could be wrong but back to what I was saying.  Those are excuses.  So my first post in this thread is completly warranted and explaiend now... Thank you :)

DMeisterJ said:
dtewi said:
DMeisterJ said:

I'd call them excuses...

Never said that they weren't logical, said that they were making excuses. 

Also I forgot to add your excuse: 

It has only been out for four days. How can you get a week's worth of data for that. It is good for a game that has been out 4 days and this is 1/3 of their market.

My thread didn't question the logic I was just saying what was going to/and has happened.  The logic does need to be questioned based on the knowledge that any games first week sales are not a whole week.  US games go from tues-sat (5 days), Japan games go from thrus-sn (4 days), and the UK is also 4 days.  Every game's firs tweek is only four days.  I don't see how that is something special since every game has a stunted first week.  And I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say (I could be wrong) that a game that has gotten as much publicity and marketing as this game has sold more in the second week in the first week.. I could be wrong but back to what I was saying.  Those are excuses.  So my first post in this thread is completly warranted and explaiend now... Thank you :)

Hmmm...

Going by that these are poor Galaxy sales.

I hope NA isn't this disappointing.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

Let's keep the facts straight... Not every game's first week is 4 days of sales. Halo 3 was launched on a Wednesday in Europe. Wednesday-Sunday is 5 days. Super Mario Galaxy is 3 days (Friday-Sunday).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@ NJ5

But Halo 3 is not a game... it's a lifestyle

OT:  No seriously, there is an exception to every rule, but we're talking about this game, which had a four day week, like most games did... I was just trying to answer his statement.

But what 4 day week? Didn't you just read what I wrote? The game was launched on Friday...

EDIT - actually sorry, I had edited the post and only added the SMG part afterwards, you probably hadn't seen it. Anyway, SMG was 3 days.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Not a bad start at all :)

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Well I will say this: 70k the first week sounds awesome to me considering we are talking about a single player game that is not an FPS, Racing, or Sports game in Europe.

@ NJ5

Still, it is an excuse and anyway, three days or four, it doesn't matter. The first week sales were 70k period.