By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - remember the guy who called about dust voiding his ps3?? weell(cough cough)

Andir said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Eh, not abuse.

My PC moves a lot of air, and a lot of dust collects quickly...I've got a mesh front that I just need to wipe or use canned air...I can see something collecting that much dust...but it's definitely neglect. I mean...all those smudges on the front, too? Very dirty.

I just make sure there's no dust on the front or back of my PC once a week typically...and then once a month or every other month I make sure the inside of my PC is clean...too bad you can't do that with consoles without being super careful or break the warranty.

You made me curious, so I ran my camera phone around the house. Apprently I must not be a dirty person compared to what some of you are describing.

I'm not a dirty person either.  I simply get more dust in the house...that's not really under my control.  Certain places are dustier than others.  The inside of my PC never gets much worse than what yours looks like there...but I bet it could get pretty dusty if I left it alone for a half a year or something like that.  I've got dogs moving around, people moving around, and I live by a busy street...plenty of dust and particles to deal with.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

My PS2 is far dustier than that and it still works.

In fact when I sent it in for repairs the thing was coated in dust, they fixed it and sent me a nice little note saying to watch out for dust not a $150 cleaning bill.

Man...I would clean that thing up before sending it in...I guess that's just me though...I would worry that any slight little thing would void the warranty...and once they've denied you, you can't just dust it off and send it back...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

it is quite pathetic of a large company to be so cheap. so what if there is a lot of dust on it? deal with it. clean it and send it back. the ps3 should survive a bit of dust. DONT EVER get into a quibble and post pics on the internet, embarrassing your client and loosing your own face. how stupid can sony be to do this?

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

message: if you give us your money, we will then try to publicly humiliate you.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Around the Network

uhm... that doesn't looks like dust .. that looks like dirt ... did he participate in a rally with his PS3?

Faxanadu said:

Fixed.

It is not unusual that some systems get so dusty, it is always probably that when a construction site is near your house that it gets like this.

I have seen many PC's that look like this on the inside, and that's just normal: electronic components just tend to attract dust. Look at your TV or between the keys on your keyboard.

It is in the end just lame that Sony announces a product that has a 'lifespan of 10 years' that just can't whitstand some dust. If it is a lot of dust or just a bit dust, thats something you can argue about. But electronic devices shoudn't malfunction because of it, certainly not products that should be state-of-the-art.

Caey said:
It is not unusual that some systems get so dusty, it is always probably that when a construction site is near your house that it gets like this.

I have seen many PC's that look like this on the inside, and that's just normal: electronic components just tend to attract dust. Look at your TV or between the keys on your keyboard.

It is in the end just lame that Sony announces a product that has a 'lifespan of 10 years' that just can't whitstand some dust. If it is a lot of dust or just a bit dust, thats something you can argue about. But electronic devices shoudn't malfunction because of it, certainly not products that should be state-of-the-art.

You first talk about a peice of electronics getting a crapload of dust on it, but then say that just some dust should be okay. If there wasn't a crapload of dust, there wouldn't be this large problem. 

Faxanadu said:
it is quite pathetic of a large company to be so cheap. so what if there is a lot of dust on it? deal with it. clean it and send it back. the ps3 should survive a bit of dust. DONT EVER get into a quibble and post pics on the internet, embarrassing your client and loosing your own face. how stupid can sony be to do this?

Are you really serious? That's more then 'a bit' of dust. If I saw that amount of caked dirt and dust on any electronic device in my house I'd be scrubbing at it furiously with a cloth, willing it not to break down on me.

This is a logical response from Sony, people are curious as to what could have caused the breakdown, so they post pictures displaying the level of neglect this customer had for their product, thereby alleviating the worries of other PS3 users and potential buyers.