By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is there soo much negativity in any 360 related thread?

dirkd2323 said:
Yes there can be, Its because Both PS3 and 360 fans are always trying to , one up them, Just like when Mass Effect 2 came out and 360 fans were saying its better then Uncharted 2 Ps3 fans, Deal with it, That was not needed, people were not getting banned, Someone can call someone a fanboy with good iintent and be banned, does not make much sense to me, I love video games, I own both PS3 and 360 , if people stop taking cheap shots , and when someone gives an opinion that is different from yours, relax , that is what this site is supposed to be about , discussion, but they are quick to ban someone when a opinion is given that is not agreed with. We are all mostly men here, lets act like it.

And by doing that they are banning the remaining 360 users, I dunno if that is a good politic for the future, just look at NINTENDO..... It was "dead" with GameCube and now dominates.

Are we all men?     ........

BTW, I'm a 360 hardcore user and I'm more than 30.

Around the Network
Black RL said:
jesus kung fu magic said:
Vergis said:
Im guessing cause most people ( Like me ) remember what Microsoft really are....

Gaming belongs to Nintendo ( im saying that not even liking the wii ) Sega and Sony for bringing into a new era.

Microsoft bought their way in for easy $$$

I hate them with a passion lol

You represent everything that is wrong with gaming forums......no offense though.

And you are right Jesus (no offense either). For example SONY killed SEGA (the oldest ones will remember) and I didn't like that in the past, it's bad to our industry. Now I have the 360 and PS3 but I hugely support the 360 because I don't want SONY to dominate alone, and thank god that the Wii came and "saved" NINTENDO. We need at least 2 or 3 good companies in the industry so we don't get "rape" by them with bad games, bad services, huge prices etc. For example, if PS3 has a HD you can thank the first XBOX, that's right, everyone talks about the built-in HD in the PS3 but the first XBOX was the one to have it, if it hasn't MICROSOFT we were stucked with high priced and low memory memory cards from SONY....

And let's not forget about the online, if it weren't XBOX LIVE PSN service would be crap. The same applies for the 360, if SONY wouldn't exist they wouldn't acknowledged the RROD problem, if SONY wouldn't exist they wouldn't drop the 360 price, if SONY wouldn't exist XBOX LIVE would cost more, etc.....

Different companies are needed if we want good games, good hardware and good services.

Ummm... NO!  Sega was in the red for two straight years before they pulled the plug on hardware.  They made dire mistakes with the Genesis and dire mistakes with the Saturn.  Then piracy struck the Dreamcast.  And early during last gen, EA was a major 3rd party player in which they publicly announced no support for the Dreamcast.  Anyone who uses the false "SONY killed SEGA" excuse either doesn't know what he's talking about or is just plain dillusional, thus discrediting their faulty opinion.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

NightAntilli said:
Jordahn said:
Usually the way you judge others is a reflection of your own attitude. Therefore after that's been displayed, the 360 owners as a whole responding in this thread are the ones really being negative. Just saying, just and observation.

If someone came into your garden every day and shouted the whole time that your house is ugly, at some point, you will get annoyed.

Or if you acknowledged the man had a twisted and narrow view of houses, you could feel pity or even amusement every time he called over. Instead of feeling an absurd need to defend your house, which is made of concrete, against verbal insults.

Scoobes said:
selnor said:
Scoobes said:
selnor said:
Scoobes said:

Do we know what the developers use PPE's for and how efficiently the 360's 3 cores are utilised? As far as I'm aware most of the power hungry stuff is shifted to the GPUs and in the PS3's case the SPEs. As far as I'm aware AI and physics are mainly covered on the CPUs but physics can also be done on the GPU and more efficiently, and I didn't think AI was particularly power hungry.

On PC I'm running on an AMD 3800 X2 (V.old) and games run fine whilst looking better than most console games as I'm running on an 8800GTS GPU.

Compared to a modern personal computer, the relatively high overall floating point performance of a Cell processor seemingly dwarfs the abilities of the SIMD unit in desktop CPUs like the Pentium 4 and the Athlon 64. However, comparing only floating point abilities of a system is a one-dimensional and application-specific metric. Unlike a Cell processor, such desktop CPUs are more suited to the general purpose software usually run on personal computers. In addition to executing multiple instructions per clock, processors from Intel and AMD feature branch predictors. The Cell is designed to compensate for this with compiler assistance, in which prepare-to-branch instructions are created. For double-precision floating point operations, as sometimes used in personal computers and often used in scientific computing, Cell performance drops by an order of magnitude, but still reaches 20.8 GFLOPS ( Theoretical 1.8 GFLOPS per SPE, 6.4 GFLOPS per PPE). The PowerXCell 8i variant, which was specifically designed for double-precision, reaches 102.4 GFLOPS in double-precision calculations.

But from the tests we know An individual SPU on it's own has an actual GFLOP of 1.4 not 1.8. and further when using more together the efficiency decreases. as 8 SPU's only mnage 9.46 GFLOPS. Whereas 1.4 x 8 should be giving 11.2 GFLOPS not 9.46.

So as you can see, Sony through around the theoretical numbers of PS3 Cell. Didnt mention to their customers that it was based on 8 SPU Cell when the PS3 would only have 7 available with a further locked for Linux help. And then further forgot to mention that in real world terms it gets nowhere near 218GFLOPS.

I'm actually more interested in knowing what and how developers actually use the CPUs as my current belief is that the CPUs on both consoles haven't really been utilised fully. What exactly do developers use the 3 cores and the SPUs on the HD consoles for and how efficiently are they being used?

And as for the numbers, MS and Sony love to throw out BS numbers to make their respective console sound good. Anyway they can think of to inflate the numbers to outdo the competition and say "My cock is much bigger than yours!". I think the lesson is to not listen to bullcrap PR.

Yes. I understand that First Party Sony devs use SPU's to help out the inferiority in RSX. But then tha is taking away resources for CPU intensive tasks like, physics, AI and Cross edging. This is why it's always important to look at whole systems and never just one component.

Yes but how intense are those tasks and how far are they pushing the CPU? That's what I really want to know. How much of an effect is the SPU use (GPU type tasks) having on those tasks normally carried out by the CPU and how much do those tasks take up in the 3 cores of the 360. I reckon the 360's CPU could have a lot of free power that could still be utilised in most games.

Also... what's cross edging? I did a quick google search and it just comes up with X-Edge the game.

It's a term used for intergrating AI with scenery. Also known as clipping or just edging. That is actually quite a task. The more going on the bigger that task.

Black RL said:
dirkd2323 said:
Yes there can be, Its because Both PS3 and 360 fans are always trying to , one up them, Just like when Mass Effect 2 came out and 360 fans were saying its better then Uncharted 2 Ps3 fans, Deal with it, That was not needed, people were not getting banned, Someone can call someone a fanboy with good iintent and be banned, does not make much sense to me, I love video games, I own both PS3 and 360 , if people stop taking cheap shots , and when someone gives an opinion that is different from yours, relax , that is what this site is supposed to be about , discussion, but they are quick to ban someone when a opinion is given that is not agreed with. We are all mostly men here, lets act like it.

And by doing that they are banning the remaining 360 users, I dunno if that is a good politic for the future, just look at NINTENDO..... It was "dead" with GameCube and now dominates.

Are we all men?     ........

BTW, I'm a 360 hardcore user and I'm more than 30.

And I'm a hardcore gamer/Nintendo/Mario fan, and I'm turning 38 this spring.

Around the Network
Dallinor said:
NightAntilli said:
Jordahn said:
Usually the way you judge others is a reflection of your own attitude. Therefore after that's been displayed, the 360 owners as a whole responding in this thread are the ones really being negative. Just saying, just and observation.

If someone came into your garden every day and shouted the whole time that your house is ugly, at some point, you will get annoyed.

Or if you acknowledged the man had a twisted and narrow view of houses, you could feel pity or even amusement every time he called over. Instead of feeling an absurd need to defend your house, which is made of concrete, against verbal insults.

It's different when it's from outside of the walls of your garden. But if he jumped the wall and came into your garden and shouted it, you'd want to kick him out.

It's fine in the Gaming forum orSony Forum, but not here in the M$ forum. I never go into Sony's Garden to shout about anything, even when I disagree.

Jordahn said:

Why?  The guy seems to have an appreciation for the progress, competition, and advancement of gaming while denouncing anti-competitive means.

Microsoft brought online to the mainstream. What has Sony done that was innovative?

Fandom is stupid. I just can't understand why people get so worked up about their fave console and feel the need to defend it to the end as criticise others or disrespect others opinion.

I know one guy on Eurogamer who is adament the only good looking games released this gen are all only on the PS3- UC2, KZ2, Infamous, Ratchet and Clank ACIT and Yakuza 3. He doesn't think there are any good looking games on the 360 and he doesn't even own one to pass judgement.

Dallinor said:
NightAntilli said:
Jordahn said:

Yeah.  There is a guy here at work who's like that.  He thinks he's "alpha male" so he flaunts himself only to put his foot in his mouth.  I feel sorry for him, I really do.  So I do not engage in the tit for tat some of the other guys back to him because it's just not worth it.

dsister44 said:
Jordahn said:

Why?  The guy seems to have an appreciation for the progress, competition, and advancement of gaming while denouncing anti-competitive means.

Microsoft brought online to the mainstream. What has Sony done that was innovative?

Looking back at the PSOne days, breaking out of the "video games are a babysitting tool" stereo-type by opening up/pushing new genres/gameplay and the push for optical formats.  Personally, I'm not too keen on online gaming.  But I respect those who feel otherwise for their own personal enjoyment.