By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why is there soo much negativity in any 360 related thread?

CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:
I think people need to stop with it. It's ruining this site immensely.

There was a comment I disagreed with just tonight in the Sony forums. I PM'd the person in question, as to not derail that thread with 360 fanboy outcomes. If you dont believe me ask CGI. IT was him I PM'd.

IF I'm considered what is the most exastive 360 fan on here and I dont troll Sony forums with games I'm likely never to buy, then why do so many PS fans do it. Hell those loads of Sony threads I disagree with. But you dont se me trolling every Sony thread.

Every single 360 thread gets I reckon 70% posts from Sony fans with no intention of ever buying the game. So why comment? The threads get derailed and then locked by some random mod. Why have the mods not spotted this?

Something needs to change, because it's getting as bad as the GAF.

You of all people should not be the one to talk....most of your the gfx of this game is da best evah threads are full of troll bait and taunting....you Selnor imo is one of the reasons for this whole situation...and I am tlaking about recent activity as I am relatively new...so I 'might' be wrong but that's just my impression

WTF? Seriousy this comment is exactly whats wrong with the site now. There is at least 100 more best PS3 gfx games threads on here with no trolling. Sitting happily in the Sony forums.But when a 360 one opens with actual reviewer or technical backing, it's trolled to high heaven. It's all because Sony shouted a false promise to it's fan. And one they have all run with from day one.Until you see that, this site will stay the same.

I really hate to do this, because I really planned on leaving this subject after my last post, but would you elaborate on what they lied about?

Ok. From day one, Sony have touted and touted about more power than the competition. M$ made one rebutle in 2006 against Sony's comments of more power, showing why 360 was more pwerful in a hugely detailed way. Now outside of Sony and M$ third party developers have said +'s for either console being more powerful. Some say 360 some say PS3. But Sony really touted the Cell like crazy. Even though we stand in 2010 with 2 games getting tremendous nods for graphics on both consoles ( and I'm talking about the best comments for tech and graphics ) it would seem niether is out of touch with each other. And 4 years into PS3's life, it would appear not to be ahead powerwise.

What am I basing it off? Third party opinions of the consoles ( outside of comapnies with a vested interest in either console ) and media for games.

Really? 3rd Parties such as Id Tech 5 & Crytek, two of the most tech driven in existence (and two of the devs that people such as yourself  & RAZurrection use as references with graphics discussions), have agreed that the PS3 has more raw power, but that's besides the point. Unless you can factually prove that Sony somehow falsified their statements, you can't say what promises were broken.

One things for sure selnor, you use reviews as the template when judging graphics and right now, reviews are giving the nod to the PS3.

Ok. Your take. But I can equally see ID Tech 5 and Crytek interviews suggesting the 360 has more power. The lead programmer on Crytek told in a video interview " PS3 being the weaker of the 3, you know the 360 and PC, it took longer to get the most out of it. However we now have it running on a par with the others.

Like I said, Third parties are split. And yeah many reviews side with MAss Effect2. So 2010 started with a lean towards 360. GOW3 will take some back. But what happens when Alan Wake heaves it over this way? People will ignore it and continue as normal saying the 360 has less power.

It's this that is exactly what this site has become.

It wasnt always this bad.

If that's true, have you any sources?

Also, I didn't see reviews claiming Mass Effect 2 had any graphical superiority. I did hear nothing but good things to say about it, however.

IGN and videogamer are in my sig. But then they likely get twisted here at VGChartz. Proving my point. Like GOW3's GN graphics comment got twisted for the better.

Oh the Crytek guy. I can do better than that. I'll provide the video. It's actually part 3 of 3. Big interview.

Go to 8:30.

Around the Network
joeorc said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

There was a comment I disagreed with just tonight in the Sony forums. I PM'd the person in question, as to not derail that thread with 360 fanboy outcomes. If you dont believe me ask CGI. IT was him I PM'd.

IF I'm considered what is the most exastive 360 fan on here and I dont troll Sony forums with games I'm likely never to buy, then why do so many PS fans do it. Hell those loads of Sony threads I disagree with. But you dont se me trolling every Sony thread.

Every single 360 thread gets I reckon 70% posts from Sony fans with no intention of ever buying the game. So why comment? The threads get derailed and then locked by some random mod. Why have the mods not spotted this?

You of all people should not be the one to talk....most of your the gfx of this game is da best evah threads are full of troll bait and taunting....you Selnor imo is one of the reasons for this whole situation...and I am tlaking about recent activity as I am relatively new...so I 'might' be wrong but that's just my impression

WTF? Seriousy this comment is exactly whats wrong with the site now. There is at least 100 more best PS3 gfx games threads on here with no trolling. Sitting happily in the Sony forums.But when a 360 one opens with actual reviewer or technical backing, it's trolled to high heaven. It's all because Sony shouted a false promise to it's fan. And one they have all run with from day one.Until you see that, this site will stay the same.

I really hate to do this, because I really planned on leaving this subject after my last post, but would you elaborate on what they lied about?

Ok. From day one, Sony have touted and touted about more power than the competition. M$ made one rebutle in 2006 against Sony's comments of more power, showing why 360 was more pwerful in a hugely detailed way. Now outside of Sony and M$ third party developers have said +'s for either console being more powerful. Some say 360 some say PS3. But Sony really touted the Cell like crazy. Even though we stand in 2010 with 2 games getting tremendous nods for graphics on both consoles ( and I'm talking about the best comments for tech and graphics ) it would seem niether is out of touch with each other. And 4 years into PS3's life, it would appear not to be ahead powerwise.

What am I basing it off? Third party opinions of the consoles ( outside of comapnies with a vested interest in either console ) and media for games.

Really? 3rd Parties such as Id Tech 5 & Crytek, two of the most tech driven in existence (and two of the devs that people such as yourself  & RAZurrection use as references with graphics discussions), have agreed that the PS3 has more raw power, but that's besides the point. Unless you can factually prove that Sony somehow falsified their statements, you can't say what promises were broken.

One things for sure selnor, you use reviews as the template when judging graphics and right now, reviews are giving the nod to the PS3.

Ok. Your take. But I can equally see ID Tech 5 and Crytek interviews suggesting the 360 has more power. The lead programmer on Crytek told in a video interview " PS3 being the weaker of the 3, you know the 360 and PC, it took longer to get the most out of it. However we now have it running on a par with the others.

Like I said, Third parties are split. And yeah many reviews side with MAss Effect2. So 2010 started with a lean towards 360. GOW3 will take some back. But what happens when Alan Wake heaves it over this way? People will ignore it and continue as normal saying the 360 has less power.

here is the real point. you are trying to use multi-platform developed game's to prove your point, when microsoft 1st party game's which should be taking advantage of the xbox360's hardware is not.

why is that?

the recent post of your's talked about how the unreal engine was not taking full advantage of the xbox360's hardware?

so why has Microsoft not made an game engine to take advantage of the xbox360's hardware?

where is Microsoft's 1st party Game engine's that show off what the xbox360 can do?

I'm not refferiing to Multiplat games but rather devs like John Carmack and Crytek. Then theres Remedy with Alan Wake, and Bungie pushing possibilities technically with Reach.

that's what this whole thing is about, from both side's

one side say's what ever they please than the other side say's something to try to one up that.

it's like the freak-en

Hatfield's an -McCoy's

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Carl2291 said:
heruamon said:
Carl2291 said:
heruamon said:
cmeese47 said:
maybe it is because the 360 thread usually try and tout how much better they are then PS3 which drives the sony fan boys crazy especially when the thread is wrong

You mean like the Metro 2033 that made NO MENTION of the PS3 or any PS3 games in the OP, but 2 post in had someone attacking it?

Do you mean the one where it was compared to Fallout 3... Or did i miss something?

"...Something tells me you wouldn't have created this thread if this game was available on the PS3..."

Right off the bat, whammo. 

That one was actually from a Wii fan. But i see what you mean...

The point is, he compared it to Fallout 3. Which is regarded as one of the best RPG's this gen, if not ever. It's also available on the PS3, by the way.

Sorry, but I'm not following your point.  Fallout 3 was an awesome game, and I don't think Selnor was trying to make this out to be a case of Metro being better than Fallout, but instead making a flippant comments about how excited he is about this game, which, btw, isn't on most people's radar.  The comparison to how Fallout 3 performed on the 360 to the PS3 isn't much of a discussion point (2.96 vs 1.96), and I think it's safe to say the 360 was the dominant marketplace for Fallout 3 (early DLCs), so your comments as to it being on the PS3 doesn't hold water in this particular case.  Finally, I still don't see the connect to the PS3, and the rationalizing is exactly what I'm talking about.   Not to say Selnor is completely innocent, and as the thread onwer, he probably should have squashed it quickly and reported the poster, as I do in my threads, but after a while, it just starts to wear on you, when EVERY GREEN thread has this nonsense...

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

selnor said:
joeorc said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

here is the real point. you are trying to use multi-platform developed game's to prove your point, when microsoft 1st party game's which should be taking advantage of the xbox360's hardware is not.

why is that?

the recent post of your's talked about how the unreal engine was not taking full advantage of the xbox360's hardware?

so why has Microsoft not made an game engine to take advantage of the xbox360's hardware?

where is Microsoft's 1st party Game engine's that show off what the xbox360 can do?

I'm not refferiing to Multiplat games but rather devs like John Carmack and Crytek. Then theres Remedy with Alan Wake, and Bungie pushing possibilities technically with Reach.

do you know why the xbox360 is called the xbox?

it's because it's the DIRECTX box..

what does sony use OPEN GL

john carmack even quoted he prefer's the xbox360 for development, why that's not silly at all gee "Direct X", and Cryteck gee another PC developer that is what

"Direct X" once again.

Carmack even states that the playstation 3 is more powerful but take's more time. you ever wonder why?

it's pretty d@mn simple

where did OPEN GL come from?

News Press Release
Silicon Graphics and Microsoft Form Strategic Alliance To Define the Future of Graphics
Collaboration Enhances Advanced Visual Computing and Applications on Windows And Brings Unique Value to Silicon Graphics' Future Windows-Based Products

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Dec. 17, 1997 — Silicon Graphics Inc. (NYSE: SGI) and Microsoft Corp. today announced a strategic alliance aimed at increasing graphics capabilities for a wide variety of consumer, business and professional customers. Drawing upon each company's industry-leading expertise, this initiative will significantly advance graphics technology and create a common, extensible architecture that will bring advanced and powerful graphics to the entire computer market. The companies have agreed to jointly define, develop and deliver these new graphics technologies as part of a project code-named "Fahrenheit."

The Fahrenheit project will create a suite of application programming interfaces (APIs) for the Microsoft® DirectX® multimedia architecture on the Windows® operating system and the Silicon Graphics® UNIX-based platform. An API is a common interface with which developers can leverage the full acceleration capabilities of a computer. Fahrenheit will incorporate Microsoft Direct3D® and DirectDraw® APIs with Silicon Graphics complementary technologies such as OpenGL® , OpenGL Scene Graph ™ and OpenGL Optimizer ™ . The Fahrenheit architecture will be the basis for innovative third-party graphics and visualization applications including Internet, games, business, digital content creation, CAD/CAM, medical and scientific applications.

"Silicon Graphics and Microsoft have been working together since 1991 to develop OpenGL for Windows NT® ," said Dr. Jon Peddie, president of Jon Peddie Associates and one of the industry's leading 3-D graphics analysts. "The Fahrenheit project inaugurates the next phase of that long-standing relationship. Fahrenheit paves the way for a truly scalable computer graphics software framework that will satisfy ISVs all the way from low-level APIs to full-blown scene graphics with large model visualization and heavy-duty 'visualization simplification' functions. This is something the industry has wanted and needed for a long time."

This alliance is part of an expanding relationship between Silicon Graphics and Microsoft that enhances Silicon Graphics' development of high-value Windows-based visual systems. Through this agreement, Silicon Graphics will apply its core competencies to define the Fahrenheit framework upon which Silicon Graphics will continue to develop differentiated graphics systems.

During the development of the Fahrenheit project, Microsoft and Silicon Graphics have also agreed to work together in support of the development of Windows-based graphics applications for professionals through the OpenGL APIs and the development of Windows-based graphics applications for consumers through the Direct3D API.

"Today, Silicon Graphics and Microsoft are defining a clear path for developers that enables both of us to expand the market for graphics," said Ed McCracken, chairman and chief executive officer of Silicon Graphics. "This also marks Silicon Graphics' first step toward implementing its strategy to participate in the larger market for a graphically oriented Windows NT-based systems." "We're delighted to be working with Silicon Graphics to enhance and drive innovation on DirectX and Windows as a key platform for 3-D graphics and visualization," said Paul Maritz, group vice president of the platforms and applications group at Microsoft. "The industry's graphics leaders are collaborating on a standard that will expand the market for developers for Windows while benefiting the entire market."

Fahrenheit: Common Architecture for Innovation

The Fahrenheit project will produce the following three components:

Fahrenheit low-level API will become the primary graphics API for both consumer and professional applications on Windows. The Fahrenheit low-level API will evolve from Direct3D, DirectDraw and OpenGL while providing full backward compatibility with applications and hardware device drivers written for Microsoft Direct3D and functional compatibility with Silicon Graphics' OpenGL technologies.

Fahrenheit Scene Graph API will provide a higher level of programming abstraction for developers creating consumer and professional applications on both Windows and Silicon Graphics IRIX operating systems. This API will evolve from Silicon Graphics' current Scene Graph API. The Fahrenheit Scene Graph API provides high-level data structures and algorithms that increase overall graphics performance and assist the development of sophisticated graphics-rich applications.

Fahrenheit Large Model Visualization Extensions will be based on the Silicon Graphics OpenGL Optimizer API and complementary DirectModel API from Hewlett-Packard Co. and Microsoft. They will operate in conjunction with the Scene Graph API. The large model visualization extensions add functionality that will allow the interactive manipulation of large 3-D models such as an entire automobile. The Large Model Visualization API adds functionality such as multiresolution simplification to the Scene Graph API so developers can easily write applications that will interact with extremely large visual databases. This technology will also be designed to enhance legacy applications with new large model visualization capabilities.

The agreement to collaborate on the Fahrenheit APIs builds on a growing cooperation between Microsoft and Silicon Graphics. Most recently, the companies agreed to collaborate on a new 3-D Graphics Device Driver Kit (DDK) to support OpenGL on the Windows 9X and Windows NT platforms.

The agreement also builds on the significant graphics expertise of each company. Silicon Graphics will draw on its extensive knowledge and core competency in graphics, visualization and imaging, and the overwhelming market acceptance for OpenGL. Microsoft will draw on the acknowledged graphics expertise of its DirectX development team and on the world-renowned Microsoft Research Group, as well as on the leadership of the DirectX APIs and the rich operating system services afforded by the Windows platform.

The Fahrenheit APIs will be developed in conjunction with software and hardware development partners. Microsoft and Silicon Graphics are committed to an open design preview process during which input on the API designs will be solicited from all interested parties. In particular, Microsoft and Silicon Graphics will work together with other industry leaders - including Intel Corp. - to evolve the Fahrenheit APIs. Specifically, Intel will work with Microsoft and Silicon Graphics on the Fahrenheit low-level API to ensure maximum support of the Intel Pentium II processor.

Availability

Microsoft and Silicon Graphics engineers will begin development on Fahrenheit APIs and extensions immediately. They will deliver new APIs, DDKs and Software Development Kits (SDKs) in phases over the next two and a half years. Phase One will be the delivery of the Fahrenheit Scene Graph and Large Model Visualization in the first half of calendar year 1999 for Microsoft Windows and Silicon Graphics IRIX. Phase Two will be the delivery of the Fahrenheit low-level API in the first half of calendar year 2000 on Microsoft Windows only. For the Windows platform, Microsoft will be the direct source for licensing, certifying and distributing the SDKs and DDKs. For the Silicon Graphics IRIX platform, Silicon Graphics will be the direct source for licensing, certifying and distributing the SDKs and DDKs.

For more information on the Fahrenheit APIs, developers should visit (http://www.sgi.com/fahrenheit/) or http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ .

Company Information

Silicon Graphics Inc. is a leading supplier of high-performance interactive computing systems. The company offers the broadest range of products in the industry, from low-end desktop workstations to servers and high-end Cray® supercomputers. Silicon Graphics also markets MIPS microprocessor designs, Alias|Wavefront ™ entertainment and design software, and other software products. The company's key markets include manufacturing, government, science and industries, communications and entertainment sectors. Silicon Graphics and its subsidiaries have offices throughout the world and headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ "MSFT" ) is the worldwide leader in software for personal computers. The company offers a wide range of products and services for business and personal use, each designed with the mission of making it easier and more enjoyable for people to take advantage of the full power of personal computing every day.

Microsoft, DirectX, Windows, Direct3D, DirectDraw and Windows NT are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

Silicon Graphics, the Silicon Graphics logo and OpenGL are registered trademarks and IRIX, OpenGL Optimizer and OpenGL Scene Graph are trademarks of Silicon Graphics Inc. MIPS is a registered trademark of MIPS Technologies Inc.

Cray is a registered trademark of Cray Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Silicon Graphics Inc.

Alias|Wavefront is a trademark of Alias|Wavefront, a division of Silicon Graphics Limited

Other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at /presspass/ on Microsoft's corporate information pages. Silicon Graphics press materials are available on the World Wide Web at (http://www.sgi.com/Overview/newsroom/) .

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

If that's true, have you any sources?

Also, I didn't see reviews claiming Mass Effect 2 had any graphical superiority. I did hear nothing but good things to say about it, however.

IGN and videogamer are in my sig. But then they likely get twisted here at VGChartz. Proving my point. Like GOW3's GN graphics comment got twisted for the better.

Oh the Crytek guy. I can do better than that. I'll provide the video. It's actually part 3 of 3. Big interview.

Go to 8:30.

And yet, neither reviewer calls Mass Effect 2  the best looking game ever. I'm not trying to hate on it, but I can find several - many reviews calling Killzone 2, God of War III, or Uncharted 2 just that.

Miles ahead to me means the same thing. And the Best vista you ever did see comment is strikingly similar to how the IGN GOW3 comment comes off. Best here but no there kinda feel.

But yeah. It should be interesting to see the reaction on VGC to Alan Wakes comments in reviews.

heruamon said:
Carl2291 said:

That one was actually from a Wii fan. But i see what you mean...

The point is, he compared it to Fallout 3. Which is regarded as one of the best RPG's this gen, if not ever. It's also available on the PS3, by the way.

Sorry, but I'm not following your point.  Fallout 3 was an awesome game, and I don't think Selnor was trying to make this out to be a case of Metro being better than Fallout, but instead making a flippant comments about how excited he is about this game, which, btw, isn't on most people's radar.  The comparison to how Fallout 3 performed on the 360 to the PS3 isn't much of a discussion point (2.96 vs 1.96), and I think it's safe to say the 360 was the dominant marketplace for Fallout 3 (early DLCs), so your comments as to it being on the PS3 doesn't hold water in this particular case.  Finally, I still don't see the connect to the PS3, and the rationalizing is exactly what I'm talking about.   Not to say Selnor is completely innocent, and as the thread onwer, he probably should have squashed it quickly and reported the poster, as I do in my threads, but after a while, it just starts to wear on you, when EVERY GREEN thread has this nonsense...

"Dare I say move over Fallout 3? Well Metro 2033 has fantastic graphics, fantastic idea, and looks to be more than Fallout 3 for realism and survival."

I wasn't talking about how they performed. I was talking about it also being on PS3, which will make PS3 fans defend it if they want to. Even some 360 fans were defending Fallout... As for he 360 version selling more and getting the DLC first... I don't see what that has to do with the quality of the game itself.

CGI-Quality said:
@ RAZ

John Carmack (ID Tech 5):

"They are both powerful systems that are going to make excellent game platforms, but I have a bit of a preference for the 360’s symmetric CPU architecture and excellent development tools," he said. "The PS3 will have a bit more peak power, but it will be easier to exploit the available power on the 360. Our next major title is being focused towards simultaneous release on 360, PS3, and PC."

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2006/05/15/john-carmack-talks-cell-and-ps3-development/

(Crytek)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/966/966403p2.html

Crytek expects the PS3 version to be "slightly better".

Again, makes no difference to me, but it completely rips apart your claims and provides the proof you claim was lacking.

That "slightly better" part is too vague to try to say anything objective about it. Especially with the word "here" behind it. That could mean anything. He could mean a specific task, he could mean the whole engine (which you want to believe), he could mean in that particular demo, we don't know.

And yes, the PS3 has more theoretical power and more peak performance. However, theoretical/peak power and actual performance can be very deceiving. That's also seen with graphics cards on the PC market. There have been many examples where one card would have more flops than the other, but the one with lower flops still outperformed the higher one. I'm not saying it's definitely the case with the X360 and PS3, however, the PS3 has an unnecessary complex architecture. This architecture is more prone to bottlenecks than the X360. It's like the X360 and PS3 having a race, the X360 having a car with max speed 100mph, the PS3 a car with max speed 150mph, the only difference is, the road the PS3 needs to drive on has 500 big holes per mile and a few horses crossing the road now and then, while the X360 only has 200 holes with bunnies crossing the road. You get the idea.

Truth does not fear investigation

joeorc said:
selnor said:
joeorc said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
CGI-Quality said:
selnor said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
selnor said:

why is that?

do you know why the xbox360 is called the xbox?

it's because it's the DIRECTX box..

what does sony use OPEN GL

john carmack even quoted he prefer's the xbox360 for development, why that's not silly at all gee "Direct X", and Cryteck gee another PC developer that is what

"Direct X" once again.

Carmack even states that the playstation 3 is more powerful but take's more time. you ever wonder why?

it's pretty d@mn simple

where did OPEN GL come from?

News Press Release
Silicon Graphics and Microsoft Form Strategic Alliance To Define the Future of Graphics
Collaboration Enhances Advanced Visual Computing and Applications on Windows And Brings Unique Value to Silicon Graphics' Future Windows-Based Products

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Dec. 17, 1997 — Silicon Graphics Inc. (NYSE: SGI) and Microsoft Corp. today announced a strategic alliance aimed at increasing graphics capabilities for a wide variety of consumer, business and professional customers. Drawing upon each company's industry-leading expertise, this initiative will significantly advance graphics technology and create a common, extensible architecture that will bring advanced and powerful graphics to the entire computer market. The companies have agreed to jointly define, develop and deliver these new graphics technologies as part of a project code-named "Fahrenheit."

The Fahrenheit project will create a suite of application programming interfaces (APIs) for the Microsoft® DirectX® multimedia architecture on the Windows® operating system and the Silicon Graphics® UNIX-based platform. An API is a common interface with which developers can leverage the full acceleration capabilities of a computer. Fahrenheit will incorporate Microsoft Direct3D® and DirectDraw® APIs with Silicon Graphics complementary technologies such as OpenGL® , OpenGL Scene Graph ™ and OpenGL Optimizer ™ . The Fahrenheit architecture will be the basis for innovative third-party graphics and visualization applications including Internet, games, business, digital content creation, CAD/CAM, medical and scientific applications.

"Silicon Graphics and Microsoft have been working together since 1991 to develop OpenGL for Windows NT® ," said Dr. Jon Peddie, president of Jon Peddie Associates and one of the industry's leading 3-D graphics analysts. "The Fahrenheit project inaugurates the next phase of that long-standing relationship. Fahrenheit paves the way for a truly scalable computer graphics software framework that will satisfy ISVs all the way from low-level APIs to full-blown scene graphics with large model visualization and heavy-duty 'visualization simplification' functions. This is something the industry has wanted and needed for a long time."

This alliance is part of an expanding relationship between Silicon Graphics and Microsoft that enhances Silicon Graphics' development of high-value Windows-based visual systems. Through this agreement, Silicon Graphics will apply its core competencies to define the Fahrenheit framework upon which Silicon Graphics will continue to develop differentiated graphics systems.

During the development of the Fahrenheit project, Microsoft and Silicon Graphics have also agreed to work together in support of the development of Windows-based graphics applications for professionals through the OpenGL APIs and the development of Windows-based graphics applications for consumers through the Direct3D API.

"Today, Silicon Graphics and Microsoft are defining a clear path for developers that enables both of us to expand the market for graphics," said Ed McCracken, chairman and chief executive officer of Silicon Graphics. "This also marks Silicon Graphics' first step toward implementing its strategy to participate in the larger market for a graphically oriented Windows NT-based systems." "We're delighted to be working with Silicon Graphics to enhance and drive innovation on DirectX and Windows as a key platform for 3-D graphics and visualization," said Paul Maritz, group vice president of the platforms and applications group at Microsoft. "The industry's graphics leaders are collaborating on a standard that will expand the market for developers for Windows while benefiting the entire market."

Fahrenheit: Common Architecture for Innovation

The Fahrenheit project will produce the following three components:

Fahrenheit low-level API will become the primary graphics API for both consumer and professional applications on Windows. The Fahrenheit low-level API will evolve from Direct3D, DirectDraw and OpenGL while providing full backward compatibility with applications and hardware device drivers written for Microsoft Direct3D and functional compatibility with Silicon Graphics' OpenGL technologies.

Fahrenheit Scene Graph API will provide a higher level of programming abstraction for developers creating consumer and professional applications on both Windows and Silicon Graphics IRIX operating systems. This API will evolve from Silicon Graphics' current Scene Graph API. The Fahrenheit Scene Graph API provides high-level data structures and algorithms that increase overall graphics performance and assist the development of sophisticated graphics-rich applications.

Fahrenheit Large Model Visualization Extensions will be based on the Silicon Graphics OpenGL Optimizer API and complementary DirectModel API from Hewlett-Packard Co. and Microsoft. They will operate in conjunction with the Scene Graph API. The large model visualization extensions add functionality that will allow the interactive manipulation of large 3-D models such as an entire automobile. The Large Model Visualization API adds functionality such as multiresolution simplification to the Scene Graph API so developers can easily write applications that will interact with extremely large visual databases. This technology will also be designed to enhance legacy applications with new large model visualization capabilities.

The agreement to collaborate on the Fahrenheit APIs builds on a growing cooperation between Microsoft and Silicon Graphics. Most recently, the companies agreed to collaborate on a new 3-D Graphics Device Driver Kit (DDK) to support OpenGL on the Windows 9X and Windows NT platforms.

The agreement also builds on the significant graphics expertise of each company. Silicon Graphics will draw on its extensive knowledge and core competency in graphics, visualization and imaging, and the overwhelming market acceptance for OpenGL. Microsoft will draw on the acknowledged graphics expertise of its DirectX development team and on the world-renowned Microsoft Research Group, as well as on the leadership of the DirectX APIs and the rich operating system services afforded by the Windows platform.

The Fahrenheit APIs will be developed in conjunction with software and hardware development partners. Microsoft and Silicon Graphics are committed to an open design preview process during which input on the API designs will be solicited from all interested parties. In particular, Microsoft and Silicon Graphics will work together with other industry leaders - including Intel Corp. - to evolve the Fahrenheit APIs. Specifically, Intel will work with Microsoft and Silicon Graphics on the Fahrenheit low-level API to ensure maximum support of the Intel Pentium II processor.

Availability

Microsoft and Silicon Graphics engineers will begin development on Fahrenheit APIs and extensions immediately. They will deliver new APIs, DDKs and Software Development Kits (SDKs) in phases over the next two and a half years. Phase One will be the delivery of the Fahrenheit Scene Graph and Large Model Visualization in the first half of calendar year 1999 for Microsoft Windows and Silicon Graphics IRIX. Phase Two will be the delivery of the Fahrenheit low-level API in the first half of calendar year 2000 on Microsoft Windows only. For the Windows platform, Microsoft will be the direct source for licensing, certifying and distributing the SDKs and DDKs. For the Silicon Graphics IRIX platform, Silicon Graphics will be the direct source for licensing, certifying and distributing the SDKs and DDKs.

For more information on the Fahrenheit APIs, developers should visit (http://www.sgi.com/fahrenheit/) or http://www.microsoft.com/directx/ .

Company Information

Silicon Graphics Inc. is a leading supplier of high-performance interactive computing systems. The company offers the broadest range of products in the industry, from low-end desktop workstations to servers and high-end Cray® supercomputers. Silicon Graphics also markets MIPS microprocessor designs, Alias|Wavefront ™ entertainment and design software, and other software products. The company's key markets include manufacturing, government, science and industries, communications and entertainment sectors. Silicon Graphics and its subsidiaries have offices throughout the world and headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.

Founded in 1975, Microsoft (NASDAQ "MSFT" ) is the worldwide leader in software for personal computers. The company offers a wide range of products and services for business and personal use, each designed with the mission of making it easier and more enjoyable for people to take advantage of the full power of personal computing every day.

Microsoft, DirectX, Windows, Direct3D, DirectDraw and Windows NT are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corp. in the United States and/or other countries.

Silicon Graphics, the Silicon Graphics logo and OpenGL are registered trademarks and IRIX, OpenGL Optimizer and OpenGL Scene Graph are trademarks of Silicon Graphics Inc. MIPS is a registered trademark of MIPS Technologies Inc.

Cray is a registered trademark of Cray Research Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Silicon Graphics Inc.

Alias|Wavefront is a trademark of Alias|Wavefront, a division of Silicon Graphics Limited

Other product and company names herein may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Note to editors: If you are interested in viewing additional information on Microsoft, please visit the Microsoft Web page at /presspass/ on Microsoft's corporate information pages. Silicon Graphics press materials are available on the World Wide Web at (http://www.sgi.com/Overview/newsroom/) .

No he stated it had higher peak reffering to the Cell. Not the entire system. As an entire system the 360 can be drawn out betterAll this proves is that the comments by Sony fans that PS3 is this all uber console is air. It's at best slightly slightly better, evn or slightly slightly worse.

omg people stop quoting each other.

My PC is having a hard time.