By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Bethsada: "Xbox 360 is our lead platform for Fallout 3"

i thought pc would be the lead platform

Around the Network

After seeing what they did with oblivion, i'm sure bethsada will be able to make great ports of this game.

I hope this does not mean delays. Midway said that they will develop with PS3 first, then port to 360 to make stuff better on PS3, but as has been said, they did a good job on oblivion. My concern would be the delays

add me

Nintendownsmii said:
They do have a point though, those PC gamers. 512mb of ram vs what is now the standard 1gb for PCs. I wonder wich allows more features?

Comparing the tech specs of a console and your average PC is misleading. You also have to consider how much RAM Windows Vista eats up, not to mention anything else that's running in the background. (Here's a hint: A lot.)

@ famousringo: "Dumbing down" control complexity is seldom a bad thing. Most PC developers' "complex controls" just involve plunking down obscure commands on to arbitrary hotkeys. Certain game genres like RTSes aside, console controls are usually more elegant and intuitive than keyboard/mouse, and that's what matters.

Also, console games may have been "dumbed down in terms of adult content" back in the SNES days, but certainly not today. Killer7 and God Of War had their infamous sex scenes, Manhunt 2 would have been one of the goriest games ever made if the ESRB hadn't gone insane over it, half the characters in half the games out there curse up a storm... Heck, don't even get me started on the "adult content" in, say, Silent Hill 2. The only PC exclusive that I can think of to have so much "adult content" in recent memory is The Witcher. 

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Well, lets be honest a PC gamer is going to have more than 1gb of ram. And most PC gamers have eliminated the junk programs from their startup list so there are not that many programs running in the backround.

To paraphrase die hard:
"Vista?! Who gives a fuck about Vista?"

Around the Network

If the PC version sucks, heads will roll. That's all I have to say.

http://www.bluehatseo.com/images/middle_finger_flame.jpg

I don't expect most of you console players to understand...but just as you say console controls and standardised graphics are more elegant and convenient, respectively, I disagree. I think the amount of control available from hundreds of keys on a keyboard combined with the speed and accuracy of a mouse drastically changes a game experience, and for FPSs, RTSs, and quite a few different games, it's a much better experience.

I understand that FPSs and RTSs can be tailored for consoles, and that it is certainly fun. I have stupid PC fanboy friends that won't even try Gears of War or Halo because they spit on the analog controls. I understand how they feel, but the controls work fine for how the game is designed.

But for a game like this, the controls have been designed for a keyboard and mouse, and it's definitely different and for the worse, in my opinion, using a gamepad. There's just not enough buttons on gamepads to do the kind of stuff we do on keyboards...for instance, choosing a Spy disguise in TF2. You have to press a button on the 360 controller, and then move the analog stick to pick a disguise. Awful! It's a waste of time. I'd rather press 4, then 3, and I immediately disguise as a Pyro.

Anyway...I understand that Fallout 3 will probably still turn out fine on PC...but I hate that they're not working to their fullest ability on EACH platform, if not PC, because that's the base that brought you up!

Take a hint from Valve...develop for PC, make the best product you can make, and you won't need to worry about the console games...they'll just be bonuses to the great sales you already got for PC.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

What Ben said

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

BenKenobi88 said:

stuff 

You just need to get a few million people to feel the same way you do and to buy (as in pay money for) lots of PC games instead of 360/PS3/Wii games.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Deviation59 said:
If the PC version sucks, heads will roll. That's all I have to say.

QFT

It's a shame, actually. I don't have nothing against Oblivion in the postapocaliptyc future, but that's just not Fallout. But i won't rush out with judgments - we'll see how this turns out.