By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why Ad Blocking is devastating to the sites you love

ioi said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Who actually buys gaming shirts?

About 75-100 people per day?

Wow, that is many more than I would have guessed!

OT: I guess I should feel lucky that I don't really get any intrusive ads, but if people were to turn off their adblockers and report the annoying ads, wouldn't that mean most of us would be better off? (I know some of you can't, due to internet restrictions)

I wouldn't be willing to pay just to remove ads, because right now, I just get ads for Microsoft's virtulization software and FF13, none of which are intrusive in the slightest. If there was more incentive to pay though, I probably would.

And I think I'll have to get myself a Digg-account based on this thread. I'm not going to the hellhole that is N4G, but I'll Digg us! (I have way too many t-shirts to justify buying a GamerPrint one, sorry)

Around the Network
impur1ty said:
I've used adblock plus for a couple of years and I have never looked back. It feels like I've cleaned up the internet.

I suggest everyone at least give adblock a chance.

You didn't read the OP, did you?

i dont mind them.. and i dont block them... BUT.... there are 5 a page... plus the background

its getting a little insane

If people were to stop blocking ads, that would give site owners an incentive to reduce the ads they have.

As it is, since more people are using the site than view the ads, sites have to cover the costs by making the people who view ads, view more ads.

At the same time, more ads make the site less pleasant, and make more people want to block the ads, or just leave. Site owners don't want that.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Rainbird said:
impur1ty said:
I've used adblock plus for a couple of years and I have never looked back. It feels like I've cleaned up the internet.

I suggest everyone at least give adblock a chance.

You didn't read the OP, did you?

I've read the entire thread. I still urge everyone to try adblock, there are other uses to, it can block other page elements too, like headers, backgrounds, flash, annoying avatar gifs etc.

It can be configured to allow adds for specific sites if you so desire.

Around the Network

It's funny how many people in this thread post as though reading websites was a right, but getting ad revenue is a privilege. So many "I'd turn off my ad blocker if...." and "until then, I'm leaving it on". It sounds like these people think they are entitled to read whatever site they like, regardless of the cost to the site provider. It's an attitude that justifies any abuse of power, 'if I can do it, and it doesn't hurt me directly, why not? I feel entitled anyway.'

Demotruk said:
It's funny how many people in this thread post as though reading websites was a right, but getting ad revenue is a privilege. So many "I'd turn off my ad blocker if...." and "until then, I'm leaving it on". It sounds like these people think they are entitled to read whatever site they like, regardless of the cost to the site provider. It's an attitude that justifies any abuse of power, 'if I can do it, and it doesn't hurt me directly, why not? I feel entitled anyway.'

Entitlement is not based on your opinion. Anyone is entitled to block adds. That is a fact.

But are you entitled to view whatever sites you like, regardless of the cost to the provider when you give nothing in return? Especially when by doing so, you make it so that the people who accept the ads have to view more ads?

Rainbird, how come you don´t have 3D Dot Game Heroes in your sig :O?.. not interested in it?

Demotruk said:
But are you entitled to view whatever sites you like, regardless of the cost to the provider when you give nothing in return? Especially when by doing so, you make it so that the people who accept the ads have to view more ads?

Yes, in this world you are.

I ask you, when do the forum posters get paid for creating the posts which make up this forum? Do they deserve a cut of the add revenue?