By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why is Galaxy doing so poorly in Japan?

obviously, it's a bit of a puzzle.  i was watching Galaxy clips from Gamespot and i can think of one big reason--3D leading up to disorientation.

i thought i was gonna get the game, but after getting completely disoriented by just watching gameplay footages, i know there is no way i can enjoy a game like that, regardless how good, original or fun the game can be.  it's the same reason i gave up RE4 on the Wii after approx. 10 minutes, wasting a good $29.99.  there is no way i'm gonna spend 50 bucks on this just to let it rot.  my wife has exactly the same opinion--way too disorienting.  and from what i heard, the japanese audience also thinks that this is a big issue.

i would like to hear from what people in japan really think of this game.  what puts them off from buying it?

ps. i love the music though, probably get the soundtrack at some point. 

the Wii is an epidemic.

Around the Network

That's probably not it.

I agree with Montana.

Albino Space Ape?

bowser sympathy

Around the Network

How is RE4 on the Wii disorienting?

I agree galaxy can be but not RE4.

You hardly jump in RE4, it's pretty slow paced actually. You can't even run and shoot!
After Portal nothing is disorienting.
(Prey was interesting too in Multiplayer.)
What types of games do you normally play?

I don't think thats the problem in Japan as it seems that the whole non-casual market is slowing down. I still expect it to sell well during the holidays.
Maybe thats what they are waiting for?

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Lingyis said:

obviously, it's a bit of a puzzle. i was watching Galaxy clips from Gamespot and i can think of one big reason--3D leading up to disorientation.

i thought i was gonna get the game, but after getting completely disoriented by just watching gameplay footages, i know there is no way i can enjoy a game like that, regardless how good, original or fun the game can be. it's the same reason i gave up RE4 on the Wii after approx. 10 minutes, wasting a good $29.99. there is no way i'm gonna spend 50 bucks on this just to let it rot. my wife has exactly the same opinion--way too disorienting. and from what i heard, the japanese audience also thinks that this is a big issue.

i would like to hear from what people in japan really think of this game. what puts them off from buying it?

ps. i love the music though, probably get the soundtrack at some point.

I feel sorry for you.

I mean, I'm too broke to get the game for another month, but in a month I'll be crying tears of joy like everyone else on this forum. You're kinda hooped, barring some kind of intensive motion-sickness training.

I think what you really need is a montage.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

nevermind, I should have read the whole post.  i r teh stoopid

Platformers are not a popular genre in Japan. Seriously your on a sales site look up other games in the genre, and then look up their sales, and their attach rates. Mario is actually not doing bad at all. Hell it is actually doing rather well. That is rather well for a platformer. The title might even eventually outshine Sunshine, or even 64. How could that be a disappointment.

The market in Japan is not the same market as North America, or the same market as Europe. They have different likes, and different dislikes. Some things that sell well here like Halo do not sell so well over there. While train simulators might sell well over there, but you couldn't pay most North Americans to actually play such a game.

Many posters here developed unrealistic expectations. Ignoring how that markets has previously welcomed Mario platformer games. Those game were fantastic, and yet did not see stratospheric sales.

Now for your issue with Vertigo, or visual recognition. Had you such a issue you would have noticed it before this game. Even so if you do develop some difficulty there are things you can do to remedy it. Often adjusting color, brightness, sharpness, contrast, or even the ambient lighting can reduce or eliminate such problems. The obvious best coarse of action is to never sit too close to the screen, and that is rarely a issue with the Wii. The controller basically forces you to back away from the screen.