By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Bad Company 2 on PC has a lot of players

Barozi said:
not bad, but overall I'd say the 360 version will outsell the PC version even though it's mainly a PC franchise.
BF on PC is not as big as many might think.

Really? So selling a couple of million of both 1942 and its sequel, plus shitloads of the expansions isn't 'as big as many might think'? The figures are on Wikipedia from DICE's financial reports. How is BF not big on the PC? What are you comparing against?

Not that it matters anyway, as profit is vastly more important than unit sales (something most of the posters on this site don't seem to have grasped), but where's your proof that the 360 version will outsell the PC version? Given that console sales are massively frontloaded and the iniital report suggest more PC players than 360 players, it seems unlikely.

Around the Network

Yeah didnt BF2 clear a couple million in the first couple weeks of its release?

Also, I am pretty sure BF:BC2 has already sold at least 2x as many on PC as MW2 has on PC to date. Cant prove it, but anecdotal evidence and such seems to suggest it. Of course BC2 will not come anywhere close to MW2 Console sales, unfortunately - even though it certainly deserves to.

BC2 PC legs will be enormous, as anyone who has played it will attest : BC2 will be "the" definitive FPS on PC for the next couple of years at a minimum, taking the place of MW1/WAW before it. ( And BF2 before it, and CS before it & etc )

Foamer said:
Barozi said:
not bad, but overall I'd say the 360 version will outsell the PC version even though it's mainly a PC franchise.

Really? So selling a couple of million of both 1942 and its sequel, plus shitloads of the expansions isn't 'as big as many might think'? The figures are on Wikipedia from DICE's financial reports. How is BF not big on the PC? What are you comparing against?

Not that it matters anyway, as profit is vastly more important than unit sales (something most of the posters on this site don't seem to have grasped), but where's your proof that the 360 version will outsell the PC version? Given that console sales are massively frontloaded and the iniital report suggest more PC players than 360 players, it seems unlikely.

Well I thought the BF series is much bigger.

Something like 5m+ sales for BF1942 and 5m+ for BF2.

BF1942 itself sold around 3.5m and BF2 around 2-2.5m, BF Vietnam around 1.5m and BF2142 around 1m.

I'm comparing it against other highly praised and popular games and in this case only BF1942 came close to my expectations. Those are good sales for one game, but for a series and especially one of the best the PC has to offer, it's hardly impressive.

It's very unlikely that the PC version of Bad Company 2 will sell more than BF1942. Probably not even more than BF2.

For the record Bad Company on PS3+360 sold as much as BF2 and if you take a look at the pre-order charts, you'd know the 360 version is on track to sell about 1m first week.

The 2m figure for BF2 was just the first month or so, not total over the past 5 years from what I recall. Total sales for BF2 PC should easily be over 3m

Barozi said:
Foamer said:
Barozi said:

Something like 5m+ sales for BF1942 and 5m+ for BF2

So you were wrong and it hasn't lived up to your expectations.

Big fucking deal.

Around the Network
Xelloss said:

The 2m figure for BF2 was just the first month or so, not total over the past 5 years from what I recall. Total sales for BF2 PC should easily be over 3m

But the number was shipped, not sold.

Here this site which tracks all players who made at least an EA account for Battlefield 2 in order to play online: http://www.spieler-daten.de/bf2_stats_list

Now, there are players who own it and don't play online (even though BF2 is a very online centric game. I owned BF1942 well before I had an internet connection), but there is no way that there are more than 3m owners of Battlefield 2.

Foamer said:
Barozi said:
Foamer said:
Barozi said:

Something like 5m+ sales for BF1942 and 5m+ for BF2

So you were wrong and it hasn't lived up to your expectations.

Big fucking deal.

No matter how you see it, but the BF series isn't even in the same league as Gears of War, MGS, CoD, Assassins Creed, The Elder Scrolls, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy, Halo, GTA, The Sims, WoW, Half-Life, Crash Bandicoot, Tekken, NFS, MoH, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, Madden, FIFA, PES and literally dozens of Nintendo games.

Battlefield is one of the key PC exclusives. Very popular and you'd think it has massive sales. But in fact it hasn't.

Barozi said:
Xelloss said:

But the number was shipped, not sold.

Here this site which tracks all players who made at least an EA account for Battlefield 2 in order to play online: http://www.spieler-daten.de/bf2_stats_list

Now, there are players who own it and don't play online (even though BF2 is a very online centric game. I owned BF1942 well before I had an internet connection), but there is no way that there are more than 3m owners of Battlefield 2.

I am not so sure, seems inconclusive at best. Game has had patches for its whole lifespan, people kept playing.

Also of note, I searched for my old name on that site you linked and could not find my stats. Granted, I had not played in at least 3 years, but still. Pretty sure that site only lists accounts in use more recently.

Barozi said:
Foamer said:
Barozi said:

Something like 5m+ sales for BF1942 and 5m+ for BF2.

BF1942 itself sold around 3.5m and BF2 around 2-2.5m, BF Vietnam around 1.5m and BF2142 around 1m.

I'm comparing it against other highly praised and popular games and in this case only BF1942 came close to my expectations. Those are good sales for one game, but for a series and especially one of the best the PC has to offer, it's hardly impressive.

It's very unlikely that the PC version of Bad Company 2 will sell more than BF1942. Probably not even more than BF2.

For the record Bad Company on PS3+360 sold as much as BF2 and if you take a look at the pre-order charts, you'd know the 360 version is on track to sell about 1m first week.

you do know that wiki's figures is before those games were added to steam right...

I rebought BF2, even though I own it on disc, because it was cheaper then buying the one missing expansion pack out of the set.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Umm they didn't actually release numbers but based on Xfire and steam stats there max players I have seen for this game was 30-40K which is actually not a lot compare to what consoles usually bring out. When it comes to saying players prefer it on the PC I think console gamers just arent interested that much battlefield BC2.

I wonder what makes Kotaku say "Modern Warfare 2, for example, has a relatively tiny PC-playing community." It might not be anywhere near as big as the Xbox360/PS3 but MW2 has been the most played game on steam, more then CS/S, L4D/2 and TF2. So a smaller community than the 360/PS3 yes but a small community on the PC not really. Boycotters had 0 zero effect on the amount of people buying and playing the game.