By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Japanese Console Market

Wait for Wii Fit.

Around the Network
fkusumot said:

Do you even know how to ski? Making things up for a joke account is fine but are you attempting to maintain any credibility at all?

I do know you can't ski on the scale. It's not stabil enough. It force you to keep your feet extremely close. Otherwise with every firm turning one side lose contact with the floor. Joke account works fine with me. Regards credibility I feel unthreatened with stuff a'la Wii-Fit will outsell Halo 3 and Wii will outsell PSX, PS2 and PS3 combinded here. LoL.

Tetsuo Shima said:
Picko said:

Wii Fit deserves to fail.

Absolutely. People love the idea only because Nintendo stands behind this. Guys get real. It's not a Guitar Hero.  It's not fun, it's not multiplayer. What is it? It's a scale. Gamers from US or EU should prey for a failure of this kinky stuff otherwise you will get a new crappy device every few months instead of solid games. It's not a salvation for Wii it's a curse. You have already problem with party games outselling really good titles by a wide margin.

I do understand your worry. It's the same thing when we already have FPS's outselling really good titles by a wide margin. Or a Guitar Hero is outselling really good titles, Buzz is outselling really good titles, Singstar is outselling really good titles. Now, Wii Fit has a huge potential among the overweight USAns, who buy every freakin weigh-lossing device they can find from TV-Shop. There's also potential through Wi-Fi, when few friends (housiwives perhaps) could workout, while seeing her friends Miis on tv screen while working out, so even multiplayer mode has huge potential (although, i don't know what kind of online features Wii Fit has, if any). It also has potential among people, who want pedals for their driving games. As having 2 pressure sensive analog scales, it works perfectly as pedals. When you release peripherals as early as possible and it gains popularity and good sales, developers have time and interest to put support to the peripheral, which increases the peripherals sales, as well as the games sales. There's huge potential in almost every game, basically Balance Board expands the Wii experience, if someone gets how to use it. Now, looking at games which came/comes out in the same time period with peripherals (Balance board, Wii Zapper, Wii Wheel), you really can't say, that those peripherals prevent releasing of "solid games".

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Tetsuo Shima said:
fkusumot said:

Do you even know how to ski? Making things up for a joke account is fine but are you attempting to maintain any credibility at all?

I do know you can't ski on the scale. It's not stabil enough. It force you to keep your feet extremely close. Otherwise with every firm turning one side lose contact with the floor. Joke account works fine with me. Regards credibility I feel unthreatened with stuff a'la Wii-Fit will outsell Halo 3 and Wii will outsell PSX, PS2 and PS3 combinded here. LoL. 

Well, o.k., you really don't know how to ski. Your other comments about "tight turning" and "speed feeling" were also telling. As regards credibility it now is what it is.

@Tetsuo: What kind of skiing is it? Cross country?

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Around the Network
bdbdbd said:
@Tetsuo: What kind of skiing is it? Cross country?

Downhill

FishyJoe said:
ssj12 said:
Joe, its a matter of how you look at growth. The console market may shrink but the handheld market will only grow.

The picture isn't a whole lot different when you include the handhelds.

NA = 718k
Others = 606k (UK = 153k)
Japan = 251k

So Japan is under 16% of the global market.  

Why are you just taking 1 week and comparing the global market?  You should know sampling 1 week or small period of time is gonna be biased.  Earlier in the year Nintendo was selling nearly as many Wiis in Japan as they were in NA, I could use that but that would also be a small snapshot that doesn't represent the market as a whole.

1.35, 3.79, 0.49 = 5.63  Japan

6.07,8.47,2.32 = 16.87  NA     

4.02,4.32,2.08 = 10.42  Others 

32.92 million total

That's next gen console sales for you.   

Handhelds

20.10+6.08 = 26.99 Japan

16.37 + 9.86 = 26.23 NA

18.48 + 9.54 = 28.02 Others

81.24 million total

other factors to consider - NA population 514 mil (USA 304 mil)

Japan population 127 million

population of others - europe is over 700 million plus there is many other countries included.

Do you notice how Japan has actually sold more handhelds than NA?  Handhelds are also very popular in Europe, and it is obviously taking sales away from consoles.  Notice how NA has sold so more next gen consoles than Japan and others combined, but it can't sell more than either one of them in handhelds.  It seems to me like handhold sales have a huge effect on console sales.

Ok here is the last piece to consider

Japan, America, Others

Gameboy

0.00 / 32.470.00 / 44.060.00 / 42.16

GBA

0.04 / 16.662.00 / 41.100.66 / 21.71

DS

4.50 / 16.024.23 / 11.744.73 / 12.52

Notice how now Japan has a much bigger market share for handhelds than before. 

I'm not going to make definitive conclusions here but it looks to me that Japan is moving towards handhelds. 

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

@Tetsuo: Ok, you got it sound like it was XC, and i was hoping it would be. Haven't skied since army, which was more than ten years ago. Shouldn't you keep your feet as close as possible anyway? Atleast last time i was downhill skiing it was suggested.

Anyway, back to the japanese sales, it's interesting to see how DS demo channel will affect to Wii sales and will there be a pricecut for Wii early next year. Maybe the Japanese refuse to pay a certain price after certain amount of time. They could also have been waiting a better deal on consoles, since it's no surprise that PS3 had pricecut and now wait others to do the same. The lull at the moment, is definately waiting for the christmas shopping season to start, but it started too early.
PS3 had it's pricecut and a new model, which may push it's sales until people start to shop for christmas, but with others, there seems to be nothing for the next 2 weeks, before shopping season. We'll have to wait until next year before we see is japanese gaming market really going downwards. In any way, neither Wii and PS3 have a solid library in Japan, which would sell harware by it's own.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

The slowing sales in Japan could be a result of a number of factors including the increasingly aging population but it could just be that at the moment Japan is transitioning to next gen somewhat slower than the other regions.

If the wii can rebound and the ps3 doesn't drop off too much than Japan could become more relevant to the overall market once again. As I hope it will.

Tetsuo Shima said:
Picko said:

Wii Fit deserves to fail.

Absolutely. People love the idea only because Nintendo stands behind this. Guys get real. It's not a Guitar Hero.  It's not fun, it's not multiplayer. What is it? It's a scale. Gamers from US or EU should prey for a failure of this kinky stuff otherwise you will get a new crappy device every few months instead of solid games. It's not a salvation for Wii it's a curse. You have already problem with party games outselling really good titles by a wide margin.

You're a bit crazy. So you don't want to buy Wii Fit. Good for you, don't buy it. There's no need to threatened by the success of Wii Fit. Do you think if it sells well that Square Enix are going to release "Final Fantasy 13 Fitness Edition" or some shit like that? Give over it, you'll still have your opportunities to kill people in Killzone/Halo/whatever. Let people who want to buy Wii fit because they think they'll enjoy it do it. If you don't like it, leave it on the shelf. It's not difficult.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!