By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games you've purchase in 2010 and what you thought of them.

So we're into March now and the first two months of the year have flow by faster than the proverbial shit hitting the fan, I was wondering what games people had bought so far this year (they could have been released last year) and what your general feelings on them are (if you are going to give a rating be aware that the median average of a 0-10 scale is 5. So if I give something 5, I mean it is Average, not rubbish.)

Myself I have bought a couple of things:

Xbox 360

Mass Effect 2

I loved ME, so I also love ME2, but not quite as much as I thought I would. Initially, I thought this could possibly displace Uncharted 2 as my favourite game this generation, but for some reason it started to lose its appeal on my second play through, something that didn't happen with ME 1 (I think I've played that 5 times through or something). My reason for this is that I feel the game has become a little too much of a shooter (with Game mechanics that don't quite match Uncharted 2 or Gears of War 2) and that the Renegade path has been watered down to prevent any significant changes in the narrative from occurring (I imagine to ease Bioware's story telling burden). This second point being the biggest gripe with me. Anyway defintely a 8/10 for the sheer enjoyment almost 9/10, but still far from the perfect scores some reviewers were dishing out.

PS3

Heavy Rain 

Having just finished HR, I'm not 100% decided on exactly how to rate it. Certainly, it is different to every game I've played except Fahrenheit. Calling it a game is actually a misnomer anyway its definitely an interactive drama in my opinion. A very good one too.

Better than Fahrenheit by the virtues of looking better and having a story than doesn't go all Matrix at the end. Although having said that the last quarter of the game does collapse under the weight of its own story telling and a few glaring plot holes appear, which is a shame. 

Then there are the numerous bugs and glitches, which are indicative of a game that should have been released in May/June and not the end of February. To spend so long on a game and then rush it at the end seems to be quantic dream's style tho. An 8/10 again, but for different reasons to ME2.

Wii

Erm...Nothing...as of yet. Now I'm not a hater of my Wii, but I want Nintendo to stop price fixing their damn Mario games then I will buy NSMBWii

So feel free to post your own list.

Around the Network

PS3-Disgaea 3: Just got it yesterday. Pretty good so far

PC-Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer: Importing it from Japan. Isn't here yet

DS- Dslite: Great
Scribblenauts: Great game
Kingdom Hearts: Good game not to far in yet though
Advance Wars Days of Ruin: I suck at this game :-/
Chrono Trigger: Great game

Xbox 360- Nothing yet

Bayonetta: Fun, looked amazing but probably the most overrated game I've played in years, how this was ever a AAA I'll never know 7.5/10
Mass Effect 2: Much better than the first one in every way, best RPG I've played this generation so far. 9.5/10

I've gotten a few others but those are the new releases

360: Mass Effect 2- This is one of my favorite games of all time. After playing ME for the first time only weeks before I bought ME2 and didn't play it for three weeks knowing it would totally distract me from my studies.
Army of TWO:THE 40th day- Fun and challenging on harder modes, great coop. Was buggy and it has no story, but a very worthy coop game.

PS3: Mag- I like MAG a lot and played a lot for abut three weeks. Have not played since, but its partly because most of my buddies only have a 360 and only one real life friend bought the game, shame.

Would have more if I could afford, next up GOW3!!!

Well, my backlog's pretty huge, but of what I've played a bit...

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars (Wii, Capcom / 8ing) Holy fuck, AWESOME!  Looks great, plays even better, tons of additions, spectacular cast.   Probably the best game of Q1 so far, Versus is BACK.  I only wish I already had that CC Pro (damn you NOA!). Grade: A

Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii, Nintendo / Arika) I loved the original, and this one already looks much better, has way more features and content, came with a free Wii Speak (uh, thanks?), and... SHARKS!  AAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!11!1!  Grade: SHAAAARKS!!!!! ;_;

Shiren the Wanderer (Wii, Atlus / Chunsoft) I've barely scratched the surface, but it's already shaping up to my favorite roguelike (and probably the first one I'll complete given I'm so weaksauce).  Thank god for Atlus USA, everyone should go buy this asap! Grade: B

Bayonetta (Xbox 360, SEGA /Platinum Games): Basically what I expected; insane designs, plays like butter, class act all around.  Platinum's more than made up for (shitty, shitty) MadWorld with this imo.  My only complaint, it's kinda easy. :/ Grade: B+

Splotto! (DSiWare, Nintendo / Intelligent Systems) Best $2 I spent this year.  Simple but addicting. Grade: B

Reflect Missle (DSiWare, Nintendo / Q-Games) Deceptively deep, awesome soundtrack, criminally overlooked, "should be illegal" levels of addiction. Seriously, I could could not put this one down for weeks. Grade: A-  

Starship Defense (DSiWare, Nintendo / Q-Games) Holyshit, this one really surpassed all my expectations.  Basically the tower-defense game for people who hate tower-defense.  Really approachable learning curve, fantastic "graph paper" visuals, EPIC space opera score, good amount of freedom... really, really great game, and steal at $5.  Grade: A-

Dark Void Zero (DSiWare, Capcom / OtherOcean) Fun retro take on the formula that's actually better than the lol overbudget bomb HD mess!  Not as hard as most reviewers say and the controls are prefect. Grade: B-

Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares (Xbox Live DLC, Capcom) My date game of 2009 returns!  Awesome setting, but where's the zombies? :(  Makes me wish for a full HD REmake using the RE5 engine.  Nice price too! <3 Grade: B

Around the Network
Shorty11857 said:

Bayonetta: Fun, looked amazing but probably the most overrated game I've played in years, how this was ever a AAA I'll never know 7.5/10
Mass Effect 2: Much better than the first one in every way, best RPG I've played this generation so far. 9.5/10

I've gotten a few others but those are the new releases

How's it overrated (or what is your definition of 'overrated')?  It sold less than 500k on each platform, more like underrated because not enough people are playing it.  But i guess to ones own opinion.

OT:

Bayonetta (PS3) - The DMC creator outdid himself and made a more amazing game.  Love it and non stop action til the end 9/10 

CoD:WaW (PS3) - Late to the party cause i didnt know about the Zombie mode and thats mainly all im playing it for but great for coop campaign too.  It fulfills my FPS-Zombie needs.  You're no longer required Valve.

*crosses fingers for Activision to make a full FPS-Zombie game so it can take down Valve and show how big of a mistake they made for not putting L4D on PS3 in the beginning lol.

Braid (PS3)
Excellent puzzle game and a lot of fun. The manipulating time was put together really well and had my scratching my head for a while. The platforming parts are questionable, but doesn't really matter. Story is way to confusing and I ended up just skipping all of it so it really detracted from the game.

Crayon Physics (PC)
Got it for $0.01. I wouldn't pay more. While fun and unique, every puzzle can be solved in almost the same manor. Sure that is me taking advantage of simple solutions, but whatever

Between now and half way through the year I will add the following games to my collection

Pokemon Soul Silver
Super Mario Galaxy 2
3D Dot Game Heroes
Metroid: Other M

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

I haven't had much time (February was exams month). Anyway:

Tales of Graces (Wii) - actually bought in December but due to Xmas shipping situation received end of January;
Probably right behind Tales of the Abyss regarding Tales games for me (with Abyss being my favourite). Love the battle system.

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS)
It's more or less like the previous ones even with the third person view, but it didn't need anything revolutionary anyway. Great as it is, and sadly over now, eventhough I was saving it up for playing on the way to class.

Star Ocean: The Last Hope (PS3)
I was on the fence about getting this one in the first few months after release but ending up with no Wii for a week I went ahead and got it. And it's been fun. It's actually not irritating me (I was expecting that) and the battle system is fun enough to forgive the grindfest for quests.

got NSMBWii for my birthday, its awesome but i play it when i've had enough of whatever else im playing for the time being.

also got Okami for my birthday (both were requests) (dont care if this thread was about new games only, i'll just talk about the ones that are new to me) for PS2. absolutely love it, its beautiful, but the fighting is repetitive and kind of easy.

Myst (PC). i only played that for about 15 minutes because i hate playing point-and-clicks without a mouse.

I played GoW 1, thought it was brilliant and not too easy. Playing God of War 2 now (was bought this week). so far, so good. was disappointed at the start but it's improving.

thats all my new games so far this year :(

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.

also, i held a copy of Final Fantasy XIII in my hands today, my friend got it through a friend-of-a-friend who works in a VG shop, and he left me open the cellophane wrappers on the sleeve and then the box. i made a joke about stealing it and he practically whipped it out my hands as though i'd told him it was on fire

Highwaystar101 said: trashleg said that if I didn't pay back the money she leant me, she would come round and break my legs... That's why people call her trashleg, because she trashes the legs of the people she loan sharks money to.