By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry FFXIII comparison

Twistedpixel said:
My interpretation of the furor surrounding Final Fantasy 13 is that the gameplay is terrible whilst the visuals are all that matters. Noone has talked about the gameplay, only the marginal differences between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions. Pretty much any time I've seen this happen, the gameplay itself has almost always been lackluster. So this does not give me confidence that FF13 is nothing but a dying breed of games, a throwback from the PS1 days when people in the west actually gave a damn. I put forward that FFXIII may be the last high selling Final Fantasy in the west and if nothing changes we will not see a Final Fantasy 15.

I guess one of the best battle systems in a JRPG ever means bad gameplay. Damn >.>

Around the Network
Wagram said:
Twistedpixel said:
My interpretation of the furor surrounding Final Fantasy 13 is that the gameplay is terrible whilst the visuals are all that matters. Noone has talked about the gameplay, only the marginal differences between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 versions. Pretty much any time I've seen this happen, the gameplay itself has almost always been lackluster. So this does not give me confidence that FF13 is nothing but a dying breed of games, a throwback from the PS1 days when people in the west actually gave a damn. I put forward that FFXIII may be the last high selling Final Fantasy in the west and if nothing changes we will not see a Final Fantasy 15.

I guess one of the best battle systems in a JRPG ever means bad gameplay. Damn >.>

What battle system? The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions fighting it out? The battle for slight visual supremacy? I think this is the first time I've seen anyone mention something related to gameplay outside of complaining there are no towns.

Wow, you've moved me... Btw, the best battle system is Pokemon because Nintendo are the pokemon masters. Did Final Fantasy copy the pokemon battle system?

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Twistedpixel said:
Wagram said:
Twistedpixel said:

What battle system? The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions fighting it out? The battle for slight visual supremacy? I think this is the first time I've seen anyone mention something related to gameplay outside of complaining there are no towns.

Wow, you've moved me... Btw, the best battle system is Pokemon because Nintendo are the pokemon masters. Did Final Fantasy copy the pokemon battle system?

Your post is WOW. It is all over the damn place and makes no sense.

and your pokemon comment is hilarious.

dahuman said:

what's retarded is that they could have just used WMVs.

WMV = VC1

But yeah, it would have been better if they had done that. I honestly wonder why they didn't? Same goes for other games that use the bink codec.

As it is, the 360 video sequences looks like someone is throwing up all over the screen. The differences ingame seem to be on par with what we've come to expect from semi-ok ports to the PS3. Worse, but not horrible.

ctalkeb said:
dahuman said:

what's retarded is that they could have just used WMVs.

WMV = VC1

But yeah, it would have been better if they had done that. I honestly wonder why they didn't? Same goes for other games that use the bink codec.

As it is, the 360 video sequences looks like someone is throwing up all over the screen. The differences ingame seem to be on par with what we've come to expect from semi-ok ports to the PS3. Worse, but not horrible.

Or a better statement would be, it looks really good, just not as good as the Ps3 version.  Please try to avoid Flaming in the MS disccusion Board.

Around the Network
scat398 said:

Or a better statement would be, it looks really good, just not as good as the Ps3 version.  Please try to avoid Flaming in the MS disccusion Board.

It wasn't intended as a flamepost, if you percieved it like that, I apologize.

My intended meaning was: the ingame differences are there, and pretty clear side-by-side, but they won't bother anyone actually playing.

As for the CGI, my statement stands, but that is down to a bad decision by S-E and has nothing to do with the 360 or its fans.

BW_JP said:
No. the DF article is incredibly flawed.

First, it is wrote in the sense that the author is trying as hard as he can to make the 360 version look okay.

First points: He says you can use VC-1 for better encoding for the 360. FALSE. you can not. This is available for HD-DVD only, which is a dead format. The only way to make the CGI look even 720p on the 360 would be to add two more discs. for 1080p, probably 3-4 more discs. Remember, each disc needs to contain the entire game engine and at least some of the content. you'd be looking at matching 28GB of Video and need to contain all the other content required for the game, and a reasonable amount of game content on every disc.

His article is completely flawed. VC-1 is IMPOSSIBLE for a 360 GAME to use. Bink video is the best alternative. and this is what it produces.

He doesn't mention anywhere about the self shadowing. the 360 versions shadows just randomly stop working. He doesn't talk about serious texture loss, he doesn't talk about how the audio sounds off and weird in the background in most CG cutscenes. He doesn't talk about the true severity of the macroblocking, its so bad, the videos on the 360 version are almost appauling. They are distasteful to the eye.

This video should of shit all over the 360  version, its bayonetta 2.0, but he did not.

It was a lazy port, but it's a really _really_ bad port. Obviously it could look better, but not much better.

You talk about how its okay for him to say the faults are because of the developer and not the game, well why don't we do this for every game? if we did, we'd be saying it for every single comparison because the ps3 is capable of better graphics and better performance if coded properly for the system. 

It's a moot point, this is the game you're getting. If bayonetta was developed properly for the ps3, it would look better than the 360 version, fact. Doesn't mean its worth mentioning in the video!! 

Bias much. The article is not flawed. It states the truth

1) Encoding doesn't have anything to do with the disc format. They can easily put it on dvd. Sure, a whole movie won't fit on a DVD with that format, but for FMVs, it should work. I mean come on, there's 1GB of space left on TWO discs. This is clearly evidence of lack of time and/or lack of optimization for the X360. Nothing more, nothing less. Decoding videos to fit a DVD is something that basically any amateur can do. If they didn't do it to make use of the disc space, what other conclusion can you draw that the port was rushed? I know the one you want to draw.. "The PS3 is superior in every way blah blah blah". Tough luck. It's not like that. Period.

2) He doesn't talk about the shadowing, but he also doesn't talk about the filtering, which can be superior on the X360 as well. He basically focussed the whole article on how the X360 is faulty, and did not bother mentioning all the drawbacks. Why would he? He clearly states to go for the PS3 version. Isn't that enough for you? Of course not.. You want him to say "the PS3 is way more powerful". Again, though luck.

3) This is not the Bayonetta for the X360. The X360 version apparently even performs better than the PS3 version. That could not be said about Bayonetta, which basically always runs at half the framerate on the PS3. The X360 version will do fine. It's not on par to the PS3 version, but it's not unplayable either.

4) Your bias towards the PS3 does not make the PS3 more powerful. There are enough examples of the PS3 being lead platform and turning out to look better on the X360 after all. In this case, SE simply didn't take/have the time to optimize for the X360 at all. That's all it is. It does go both ways, but there are no guarantees that "the PS3 version of Bayonetta would look better if they developed it properly on the PS3". And you're completely missing the point. The X360 hardware does have some advantages over the PS3 (other way around as well), like the alpha-to-coverage on the hair (that simply wasn't needed on the X360...) and SE didn't bother utilizing those advantages at all. They took the short road and simply dumbed down the resolution to fit into the eDRAM and that's it.. Their whole X360 engine is maybe a year old, while the PS3 version is over 3 years old.. You do the math.

Truth does not fear investigation

Even DivX would have been fine, they needed something that has good VBR detection and image quality, and that would have done the job too, the licensing isn't even that much with DivX. We are talking about 576p videos here, doesn't require any type of power house to decode especially when working with a tri-core power pc at 3.2ghz per core, this really is SE's retarded decision.

I'm also extremely sensitive to resolution because I can see which one is sharper right away without even trying when watching the comparison videos in HD, the schedule was most likely too tight with that one though, it's not easy to write a game engine that works that well in the short amount of time they were given, on top of some missing features..... but if you only have a 360, should definitely give it a go anyways just to see if you like the game.

CommonMan said:
I took a step back into the real world for a minute (I tend to get caught up in the bitch/whine fests that these threads become) and realized this: Who the fuck cares? Buy it on the system you like, for whatever reason you like. If you care about the best looking one, get the PS3. If you care about controller preference, buy it on the system you like the controller on. Unless you have a 2 TV set up or something, the only one you'll be able to see is the one in front of you, and according to this video comparison, no matter what it's going to be beautiful.

If only the thread had ended here.

Y'know, the 360 version is going to play fine.  It has essentially same fps and in some cases a little higher (due to lower resolution rather than being magically 'better' so calm down PS3 fans) and the gameplay is unaffected.  With nothing to compare it to anyone sitting in front of a 360 and an HD TV is going to see a pretty decent looking game with minimal bugs/glitches.  The cutscenes will also look okay.  Not cutting edge, but okay, and in the end they're just cutscenes with some exposition.

In the end the 360 version is simply less optimized but not game breakingly so.

Again, I wish people would realise these examples are NEVER about the consoles and stop going on about Bayonetta or Orange Box or FFXIII like they prove something.

Bayonetta on PS3 could be indentical to 360 and the fact it isn't is nothing to do with the PS3 not having enough power, but the code being poor and un-optimized as it was a 'rush job' port

FFXIII on 360 could be indentical to PS3 if more disks were used (or better encoding or a mix of both) and the fact it isn't is down to a combination of endcoding of the assets and a somewhat rushed looking port from the evidence.

Orange box on 360 is okay but weaker than the PC as the engine, etc. was optimized for PC but transfered more or less okay and Orange Box on PS3 is okay but even weaker again as a developer unfamiliar with the code ported it to an architecture they were unfamialir with.

The point I wish certain people would get is these and every other example of a game that seems worse on one or the other of the consoles is nothing to do with the consoles as such, it doesn't prove one is 'more powerful' and it simply shows where code is poor and un-optimized.

I'm not saying they're lazy, but I am saying, and I'm 100% right, that any flaws are down to the developers and their skills and the effort they put in, or lack thereof.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Reasonable, there's a time and a place for comments like yours and this is neither. Now let us get back to bitching and whining and nit-picking.
Your comment has been reported :P