By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest innovation in gaming this generation?

Biggest innovation in gaming this generation?

Online Multiplayer 27 15.08%

Motion Controls 96 53.63%

Achievements 24 13.41%

Technological Leap 22 12.29%

DLC 3 1.68%

Other 7 3.91%

Total:179
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

Who is talking about innovation? Uncharted 2 barely innovated at all, yet it was an awesome game! Why is there no chance in your mind that Heavy Rain might actually be a good game?

This might be more relevant were we not in a thread titled "Biggest innovation in gaming this generation" and talking about Heavy Rain.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

Who is talking about innovation? Uncharted 2 barely innovated at all, yet it was an awesome game! Why is there no chance in your mind that Heavy Rain might actually be a good game?

This might be more relevant were we not in a thread titled "Biggest innovation in gaming this generation" and talking about Heavy Rain.

Yeah, I noticed. Damn me for being too quick on the trigger :/

CGI-Quality said:
Ryudo said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ryudo said:
Raistline said:
I think Heavy Rain is the biggest innovation, new style game-play and story based gaming/adventure gaming on a console platform is the best

Heavy rain is not innovative at all.

It borrows heavily from games like Shenmue and the old PC interactive movies (FMVs)

It's just an  CG movie at best with interactive sequences which has been done before.

Funniest lines I've read in a while. Someone hasn't played it.

OT: I'd go with either online gaming or motion control.

It's a david cage game(should be enough said right there)  and your were a fanboy who already decided to love it before you played it to be objective.

Nothing about HR is innovative.

It's been done before. If HR was released in 1999 like Shenmue most likely would have been another niche game that didn't take off.

Like Omikron didn't either.

This gen just laps these up and people with short gaming memories or wasn't around then or just total fanboys think HR is new and innovative.

Just to reiterate, you haven't played the game. Nothing else to see here.

You're a fanboy who dove into the hype before hand and already decided to love it before playing it. 

jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

4/5 of the innovations in the OP weren't even innovative!!  This whole thread is chaos!!

Rainbird said:
jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

S'okay.  Heavy Rain looks interesting, and were it on a platform I owned I'd probably give it whirl.  But tanks controls, ugh. :(

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

4/5 of the innovations in the OP weren't even innovative!!  This whole thread is chaos!!

In fairness, the correct answer seems to be dominating the poll.  That's almost a first around here! :P

Online I suppose. and I hope that Motion controls die.

CGI-Quality said:
Ryudo said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ryudo said:
CGI-Quality said:
Ryudo said:
Raistline said:
I think Heavy Rain is the biggest innovation, new style game-play and story based gaming/adventure gaming on a console platform is the best

Heavy rain is not innovative at all.

It borrows heavily from games like Shenmue and the old PC interactive movies (FMVs)

It's just an  CG movie at best with interactive sequences which has been done before.

Funniest lines I've read in a while. Someone hasn't played it.

OT: I'd go with either online gaming or motion control.

It's a david cage game(should be enough said right there)  and your were a fanboy who already decided to love it before you played it to be objective.

Nothing about HR is innovative.

It's been done before. If HR was released in 1999 like Shenmue most likely would have been another niche game that didn't take off.

Like Omikron didn't either.

This gen just laps these up and people with short gaming memories or wasn't around then or just total fanboys think HR is new and innovative.

Just to reiterate, you haven't played the game. Nothing else to see here.

You're a fanboy who dove into the hype before hand and already decided to love it before playing it. 

There was no hype for HEAVY RAIN when I got into it. Since playing it though, I can speak about it from experience.

Oh so the HR demo at E3 years ago people pissed thier pants over and you sporting the horrendously oversized sigs about the game several months before it came out and defending it to the death like you are now anytime someone made a sekeptical post.   uh huh ok then

Greatest innovation?

Procedurally generated content.

Animation (a la Force Unleashed) is probably what 'broke through' this generation, but any kind of dynamic, player oriented/instigated content (a la Left For Dead) is a progenitor of (at least one strain of) future game developments.

CGI-Quality said:
jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
jarrod said:
Rainbird said:
@ Heavy Rain haters

S'okay.  Heavy Rain looks interesting, and were it on a platform I owned I'd probably give it whirl.  But tanks controls, ugh. :(

I wouldn't really call them tank controls though. It didn't feel like playing a classic RE game.

Well yeah, tank controls tend to work better in actual 3D space.  I still don't like them for controlling characters generally though.