By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest innovation in gaming this generation?

Biggest innovation in gaming this generation?

Online Multiplayer 27 15.08%

Motion Controls 96 53.63%

Achievements 24 13.41%

Technological Leap 22 12.29%

DLC 3 1.68%

Other 7 3.91%

Total:179
Bamboleo said:
Motion Controls and whoever bitches about it not being is just plane crazy and fanboy.

Nintendo once again brought something to the table that others had to copy to try to keep competitive in the market, that's the ultimate proof.

And I am not talking only about Sony and Microsoft own approaches to the once "gimmick fad", but also SEGA with their blatant Wii Rip-Off named SEGA Zonewhatever and countless PC and console wiimotesque peripherals.

except SEGA didn't make that. Some other company liscensed out the SEGA name and games and created their own console.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Around the Network

I think it has to be #1 Motion Control and #2 Ubiquitous online gaming.

But personally acheivements have made the biggest impact on how I play games, so I chose that.

motion controls, given that they've opened doors to stuff that was previously inconcievable.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Since ALL of the others were commonly available last gen on the Xbox, I'm going with Motion Control over Achievements.

Boutros said:
disolitude said:
lol...someone said heavy rain.

In any case...how do we define biggest?

Innovation which is most fun? Innovation which helped sell most consoles? Innovation which made a change in how games are played?

Shit...the answer to all that is motion controls.

That would be an opinion I'm afraid.

I guess, but it should be a pretty standard opinion.

Considering that online was an innovation which Sega Saturn had, and dreamcast and xbox...and not to mention PC prior to this gen, it really doesn't belong on the innovation list for this gen.

And I don't think anyone is crazy enough to argue that achievements are more fun that motion controls.

What else? DLC? Cutting down games and then selling them as DLC is not a fun innovation if you ask me.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Since ALL of the others were commonly available last gen on the Xbox, I'm going with Motion Control over Achievements.

Liu Kang Wins! Friendship?!

disolitude said:
Boutros said:
disolitude said:

Innovation which is most fun? Innovation which helped sell most consoles? Innovation which made a change in how games are played?

Considering that online was an innovation which Sega Saturn had, and dreamcast and xbox...and not to mention PC prior to this gen, it really doesn't belong on the innovation list for this gen.

And I don't think anyone is crazy enough to argue that achievements are more fun that motion controls.

What else? DLC? Cutting down games and then selling them as DLC is not a fun innovation if you ask me.

I do

Barozi said:
disolitude said:
Boutros said:
disolitude said:

I do

Agreed Barozi, and I don't feel bad even one bit about it.

mike_intellivision said:
Motion controls. Never before have they been made a primary element of the game.

The Wii is evolutionary. The other innovations are also important but they are evolutionary.

DLC existed last generation -- it has just broadened in scope. Games have long had "achievements" -- they just went on-line. On-line multiplayer existed before -- it has just been enhanced. And each generation has made strides over the previous one in appearance.

Mike from Morgantown

Did DLC exist in the consoles last generation?  What consoles and games offered it?

Achievements, or more specifically rewards, have existed for ages but achievements were important because Microsoft made them madnatory for every Xbox game.  It made one system for in-game rewards and unified them as an important part of Xbox Live.

Online Multiplayer existed in games before Xbox Live, but again, it brought it to the forefront and made it a big part of every game.   Before this generation you could have an eight hour single player game and be fine, now that is seen as a waste of money with no replay value.

Barozi said:
disolitude said:
Boutros said:
disolitude said:

I do

Really? wow... I mean, if you are playing a game you are playing it cause its fun right? Not cause of some meaningless score....

All I can say is that if you have non-gamers over a your place...achievements are worthless. Wii sports boxing and bowling however provide shitloads of fun.