By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So who thought Sony was crazy when they said the PS3 will sell 13m for 2009

Avinash_Tyagi said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:
If 13 million per year is a crazy sell through, the expectations must be really low nowadays from Camp Sony.

what?

we are in a

a) RECESSION

B) the price of the PS3 just hit over christmas $299.00

and it's still only FEB of 2010, and the price of the PS3 is still $299.00

13 million for the year is just being realistic in my opinion.

Its still low expectations, when compared to a certain smaller console

Well, it wouldn't be realistic to expect a more expensive console to outsell a cheaper console.  BMW is never going to sell more cars than Honda.  Not everyone can afford luxury.

Around the Network
dolemit3 said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:
If 13 million per year is a crazy sell through, the expectations must be really low nowadays from Camp Sony.

Pretty much what Sony big wigs were thinking when they were planning to do the price cut/Slim combo.

you stated this:

the expectations must be really low nowadays from Camp Sony.

13 million system's Sold through is not low at all. for a $299.00 priced system, that doese what the playstation 3 does.

hell would you call currently 8.48 million system's sold per year pretty low world wide because that's what the xbox360 is doint right now and the year is not even over with and it is projected to sell over 10 million system's for the year. would you call that low. 8 million system's a year is not something to sneeze at.

the first xbox was at in 4 year's roughly 26 million total system's sold through

that's 6.5 million system's sold a year

the top system sold last generation was the PS2 140 million /10 year's =

14 million per year, and that was the leader.

it's not too far fetched to think 13 million is now low it's pretty d@mn high since what the PS2 was able to do is 14 million per year would you call that low, when the PS2 was the last generation's leader in world wide console's sales?

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

The people that compare the Wii to the PS3 have to be retarded.The Wii=$199 casual gamer,the PS3=$299 hardcore gamer HD.Now it's only obvious that the Wii will sell more at the price it's at.STOP comparing Wii sales to HD consoles sales.

When they announced the shipment figure we had no confirmation of either the slim model or price cut I believe so yes they were crazy imo at the time. We might yet find that they've stuffed the channels and overshipped to some regions before too much longer though.

joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:

Pretty much what Sony big wigs were thinking when they were planning to do the price cut/Slim combo.

you stated this:

13 million system's Sold through is not low at all. for a $299.00 priced system, that doese what the playstation 3 does.

hell would you call currently 8.48 million system's sold per year pretty low world wide because that's what the xbox360 is doint right now and the year is not even over with and it is projected to sell over 10 million system's for the year. would you call that low. 8 million system's a year is not something to sneeze at.

the first xbox was at in 4 year's roughly 26 million total system's sold through

it's not too far fetched to think 13 million is now low it's pretty d@mn high since what the PS2 was able to do is 14 million per year would you call that low, when the PS2 was the last generation's leader in world wide console's sales?

bacuase you are using the peak (or near peak) for the PS3 numbers to compare to the average annual number of PS2. If PS3 would average 13 million after 10 year (or even 5 years), it would make more sense.

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.

Around the Network
joeorc said:

you stated this:

14M per year average. You're comparing a peak to an average, with a lot of low selling off peak years in that PS2 total. Go look at the actual numbers for year 3 alligned launches.

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS2&reg2=All&cons3=PS3&reg3=All&weeks=156

Not even close.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

saicho said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:

you stated this:

bacuase you are using the peak (or near peak) for the PS3 numbers to compare to the average annual number of PS2. If PS3 would average 13 million after 10 year (or even 5 years), it would make more sense.

has the PS3 hit it's peak ?

that's the point many people think this generation is at it's peak based on previous generation which I do not think that's even remotely true at all.

every one pointing out aligned sale's date per year when the PS3 is only been on the market for 2 year's in some cases and only 3.5 in the extreme.

and they alway's point to how the PS1 did or the PS2 did..

which is pretty pointless because the PS2 did not start out at $500.00 or $600.00

the PS2 did not have as many incentives to purchase as the Playstation 2  did in it's 3rd year as the PS3 does, yes the PS2 had great game's a as a great incentive to purchase the system, but release the PS2 today or better yet launch the PS2 in 2005 how would it have done against the xbox360?

that's the big point the PS2 and the PS3 are not even in the same legue or even in the same sport.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

joeorc said:
saicho said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:

you stated this:

has the PS3 hit it's peak ?

that's the point many people think this generation is at it's peak based on previous generation which I do not think that's even remotely true at all.

every one pointing out aligned sale's date per year when the PS3 is only been on the market for 2 year's in some cases and only 3.5 in the extreme.

and they alway's point to how the PS1 did or the PS2 did..

which is pretty pointless because the PS2 disd not start out at $500.00 or $600.00

the PS2 did not have as many incentives to purchase as the Playstation 2  did in it's 3rd year as the PS3 does, yes the PS2 had great game's a as a great incentive to purchase the system, but release the PS2 today or better yet launch the PS2 in 2005 how would it have done against the xbox360?

that's the big point the PS2 and the PS3 are not even in the same legue or even in the same sport.

You made an error by quoting an average for shipping figures, this might be Sony's peak year so it needs to be hitting peak year shipping figures of the PS2, not an average for comparisons sake.  You actually brought the PS2 into the discussion joeorc, so nobody else is misguided in comparing past and present it was your statement oringinally fella.

jacks81x said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:

what?

we are in a

a) RECESSION

Well, it wouldn't be realistic to expect a more expensive console to outsell a cheaper console.  BMW is never going to sell more cars than Honda.  Not everyone can afford luxury.

yea does this sound like Sony expected the PS3 to sell more than the PS2 right from the start?

"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]."

this was back in 2005 before the PS3 released in 2006

that does not sound like they expected the PS3 to sell as well as the PS2 right from the start.

the PS2 released for $300.00

the playstation 3 released for $500.00 and $600.00

there was quite an upgrade from the PS2 to the PS3 in hardware. for $200.00 the price was expensive, some buyer's think it was worth it other's did not, but it does not take someone being a rocket scientist to see that even Sony knew the price would be one of the thing's that would slow the sale's of the PS3.

the very fact that it did sale pretty d@mn good for a $500.00 and $600.00 system is d@mn feat in of itself.

I AM BOLO

ps:

jacks81x said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
joeorc said:
dolemit3 said:

what?

we are in a

a) RECESSION

Its hardly the difference between a BMW and a Honda at this point, only $100, and will probably fall even more as time goes on

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)