By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I don't think Wii will suffer much from shortages this holiday season

ok, got your point.

Think for yourself, question authority

Around the Network

Actually if you go by Nintendo's recent financial report you'll realize they've been making 1.8 million Wii's since the end of July. So expect way more then what you've guessed there to be. Also, last time Reggie spoke about the topic he said that there would be twice as many Wii's available during the same amount of time as last year. So 7.2 million Wii's from Nov 19th-December 31st.

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
endurance said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I think Wii will sell far more than 1.2 in Japan, Wii fit will probabaly drive 2 million + in sales this december i nJapan, probably pushing Wii to sell out all over the country, and we already know it'll outsell in NA and Europe, so I disagree I think it will be sold out by the 20th of decmber

yeah then around january supply will become normal again

No probably March or April

what i mean to say is that in january it will become a little bit more healthier then in febuary probably will get sold out again cause of ssbb and wii fit

NJ5 said:

Welcome to the forums :)

From the top of my mind, the things which you have slightly wrong in your analysis are:

1- production at 1.8 million per month started from around July June, not September
2- according to Nintendo, it takes 20 days to take Wiis from factories to store shelves (which partly cancels out number 1 ;))

So I'd say supply will be even bigger than you calculated. My prediction for the total number of Wiis sold worldwide by the end of the year is 18.5 - 21 million, depending on demand. Shipped numbers may be around 22 million.

Conclusion - more likely than not, there will be shortages in many places. If it sells out almost everywhere, sales to customers may be even higher than 21 million, so maybe I should have written 18.5 - 22 million!

yep i think this is about right except i think wii will sell something like 19-22 million by the end of ther year

I think 20 million is a fair number, 22 million seems a little too high as I don't see Nintendo getting 8 million consoles in stores till december 31th.

Around the Network

Abroz...cdude's comment was not an underhand insult, but rather an underhand compliment. You will quickly discover here that there are several posters around these parts that shun proper spelling, are allergic to commas, and just have a difficult time putting their fingers to the keys without causing a train wreck. Welcome to the Chartz, both your analysis and your grammar.

As far as supply is concerned, if Nintendo can keep the retail channel full this holiday season it will be a coup for them. The only thing that will keep their sales below their competitor's is scarce product.

Something else that I'm not sure you are considering, since you are new around these parts. Nintendo has yet to take the Wii to China, yet they are planning a launch there this next year. There will definitely be some stockpiling for that event.

So while they may be producing 1.8 million units, all these units may not make it into the supply this holiday. Nintendo will certainly do what they can to keep enough on the shelves to establish retail dominance, as well as limiting said supply to further the belief that the Wii is a scarce commodity. It's just good business.

abroZ said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
I think Wii will sell far more than 1.2 in Japan, Wii fit will probabaly drive 2 million + in sales this december i nJapan, probably pushing Wii to sell out all over the country, and we already know it'll outsell in NA and Europe, so I disagree I think it will be sold out by the 20th of decmber

Three months ago, I also would have thougt Wii to sell 2 million + in Japan. But now the Wii is selling 30-35k a week in Japan, pretty slow (not to mention the other consoles). If this is the case for the rest of november (let's say wii will do 50k a week, and i'm being optimistic now), Wii should sell 185k-200k for the whole month, leaving 1 million consoles for december. Then when Wii Fit comes out, and sales will spike for sure, I think for Wii to go from 50k a week to an average of 200k-300k is a fair and plausible increase.

to cdude1034: are you being sarcastic about my grammar/spelling skills? Because I'm not Englisch or American, If my language doesn't sufface to your standards you can always correct me. If i'm interpreting your comment wrong, sorry for that, no offence.

No, no sarcasm. Your OP was a well thought out and grammatically correct post, and I congratulate you for it. Especially with you not being English or American.

Here are my thoughts, Nintendo for a little while now has been diverting units from Japan to the US in anticipation for SMG, as shown by the decrease in sales in Japan, and the increase in the US.

Agree or disagree?

Currently playing: Civ 6

I think people don't realize something about the Wii, even at its current lull its selling better than historical trends in October through December 2000 PS2 was selling far worse than the Wii is right now, in fact the week ending december 3rd it sold only 3,637 consoles. The following year it was selling around 37,392 the week ending the 11th of November, pretty much the same time of year as now, only a few thousand more than the Wii and this in its second year with a deeper library than the Wii has right now, so the assumption by some that the Wii is somhow failing is based on an ignorance of historical trends

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

super_etecoon said:
Abroz...cdude's comment was not an underhand insult, but rather an underhand compliment. You will quickly discover here that there are several posters around these parts that shun proper spelling, are allergic to commas, and just have a difficult time putting their fingers to the keys without causing a train wreck. Welcome to the Chartz, both your analysis and your grammar.

As far as supply is concerned, if Nintendo can keep the retail channel full this holiday season it will be a coup for them. The only thing that will keep their sales below their competitor's is scarce product.

Something else that I'm not sure you are considering, since you are new around these parts. Nintendo has yet to take the Wii to China, yet they are planning a launch there this next year. There will definitely be some stockpiling for that event.

So while they may be producing 1.8 million units, all these units may not make it into the supply this holiday. Nintendo will certainly do what they can to keep enough on the shelves to establish retail dominance, as well as limiting said supply to further the belief that the Wii is a scarce commodity. It's just good business.

Nintendo already cleared out that they delayed the China launch because of high demand in current territories. I don't think they are stockpiling just yet for China. What I think will happen is if demand doens't decline drammatically in Q1 of 2008, Nintendo will ramp up it's production as of Q2 to accommodate demand in current territories and China.

cdude1034 said:
abroZ said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Three months ago, I also would have thougt Wii to sell 2 million + in Japan. But now the Wii is selling 30-35k a week in Japan, pretty slow (not to mention the other consoles). If this is the case for the rest of november (let's say wii will do 50k a week, and i'm being optimistic now), Wii should sell 185k-200k for the whole month, leaving 1 million consoles for december. Then when Wii Fit comes out, and sales will spike for sure, I think for Wii to go from 50k a week to an average of 200k-300k is a fair and plausible increase.

to cdude1034: are you being sarcastic about my grammar/spelling skills? Because I'm not Englisch or American, If my language doesn't sufface to your standards you can always correct me. If i'm interpreting your comment wrong, sorry for that, no offence.

No, no sarcasm. Your OP was a well thought out and grammatically correct post, and I congratulate you for it. Especially with you not being English or American.

Here are my thoughts, Nintendo for a little while now has been diverting units from Japan to the US in anticipation for SMG, as shown by the decrease in sales in Japan, and the increase in the US.

Agree or disagree?

I agree to a certain extend. They are deriving units from Japan, but that's because the Japanese gaming market is in a little slump right now. Japan doens't suffer from Wii shortages. Wii Fit should fix that though.