By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - ATI taking over?

ATI and nvidia, obviously huge rivals but like intel nvidia always seemed to have the edge until now. It seems the tides have turned and ATI is now the choice when getting a new gpu. Now they have the fastest and most advanced gpu, the ati 5970. Plus there directx 11 support capabilities. And not only was the 5970 a huge hit, but the 5870, 5850, 5770, all the 5000 series. It seems nvidia is left behind, now they are developing there 300 series but is it enough? Has ATI already become consumers number one choice? Also the fact that ATI overall is cheaper, especially when you compare the ati 5870 and the gtx 295. The 295 is only slightly faster, and only on lower resolutions and doesnt support directx 11, plus it costs more. And on another subject intel and nvidia are having some major conflicts and intel threatens to not support nividia cards on their future cpu's. So what do you think?

Around the Network

I think AMD buyout of ATI would end up with superior tech for less price. There are 2 groups designing CPU processing architecture. Both groups have vested interest of boosting the others group tech. Don't be surprised to find in the future that if you want really super fast graphical performance that you will need an AMD / ATI combo.

I would have thought Intel and nVidia to work together. Maybe some kind of buyout, but I should have been realistic. Both groups are at the top of two difference dog piles. Neither of them could forsee trouble or want to put effort into boosting each other up. Why would they. They are at the top already. It's the underdog that would receive the most benefit by working together.

Though you never know what the future brings.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

Its not over yet. Nvidia is a crafty adversary so I wouldn't count them out until all their chickens have hatched.

Do you know what its like to live on the far side of Uranus?

Only if Nvidia doesn't step up their game. They have been having all sorts of problems with their recent graphics cards.

Considering radeon 2000 series didn't kill ATI worst case scenario is one generation of ati dominance and then return to competition after process shrink to 28nm.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Around the Network

I not been looking up on latest graphic cards for the pass year but when I do come round to upgrading my PC I always do my research first.

My last 2 cards have both been nvidia cards (8800GTX and now I have a GTX 260) but before that I was a ATi man because they were the best cards on the market at the time.  I tend to go for the best at the time.

I will be upgrading shortly and I will do my research by reading blogs, reviews, forums etc and then make up my mind.  But reading about the new Ati, its looking good.

PC gaming rules.....