By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII, Metacritic 84

Wagram said:
Wow, then I never noticed it lol. I could definitely notice it in the 1st and it irritated the hell out of me.

They did a far better job of implementing it. The auto-aim was why I was able to get the headshot achievement on the second mission as a pistoleer, heh. Left trigger, tap right stick down, fire. Headshot city.

The first game didn't even really have auto-aim... it was actually a lock-on system, which I'm not crazy about.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network
Andysw said:
Flame said:
Makes you wonder... How high would FFXV be rated if it played like Mass Effect 2... Hmmm

It would be an outcast of the main series and would probably be rated a 7 or 8

So many people have been crying for "Evolution" for JRPGs.  Personally, I think it would get a 96

rocketpig said:
Wagram said:
Actually to me the game felt alot like Gears of War.

It didn't feel that way to me at all. The auto-aim was far too prominent and the fighting was generally much easier than Gears on higher difficulty settings. Plus, the skill progression allowed the characters to fight very differently near the end. You didn't have to be a gun-based character if you didn't want to be one.

I think the root of the problem is that many people have a difficulty seperating control scheme from game genre.  A TPS is a complex title that describes both control scheme and gameplay genre.  RPG is a type of game in which the player is given choice over the character's destiny and progression outside of the simple linear model.  RPG does not indicate control scheme.

Other game titles are already appropriate.  FPS describes both the control style and the type of game.  You view from the first person and you shoot stuff.  RPG has absolutely no gameplay description.  People have assumed that it means that you have a character that has improvable stats and swappable equipment or abilities, but the same could be said of most strategy games where you are able to pick you troops and your strategy of attack.  Yet, one is called RPG and the other strategy.

I think that the term Turn-Based Strategy needs to be broadened to include turn-based titles where the player has no real choice over the character's destiny, but has the ability to customize the character to meet challenges.  In my opinion, ultra-linear traditionally termed JRPG (not all, just those that are that linear) titles should not be called RPGs as the player  has no real choice, and should instead be relabled to reflect such.  Perhaps storybook strategy or SBS or storybook turn based or real time strategy SBTBS or SBRTS.

Mass Effect 2 has a third person control scheme, regardless of how much the game assists you.  However, the control scheme is not the defining characteristic of the game.  Just labeling it a shooter does not sum up the gameplay elements.  The game gives the player choice, albiet within a limited range, of the character's destiny.  This is the defining characteristic of a RPG.  To properly describe the game in terms of both interface and genre, the game could more accurately be termed a Third Person Role Playing Game, TPRPG.  We do this for FPS, RTS, TBS, MMORPG, but when a game deviates from the standard WRPG or JRPG traditional control scheme molds, people start trying to assign the game to other genres just because a different control scheme was used.

As the gamer Darth Vader once told Governor Tarkin when refering to the nomenclature for video games, "Don't be too proud of this technilogical terror you've constructed.  The ability of an industry to adopt genre titles for games is insignificant compared to the force of video game evolution."  Games are going to continue to blend traditional genre labels and some new games are going to create new labels as well as force us to reexamine the lables we gave to old games.

I give this thread a 9.4. (thanks for reminding me)

Thank god for the disable signatures option.

Profcrab post with no rating?!?!?!?!!?!??!?

Andysw said:
Flame said:
Makes you wonder... How high would FFXV be rated if it played like Mass Effect 2... Hmmm

It would be an outcast of the main series and would probably be rated a 7 or 8

Nah, it'd be a WRPG, so it'd score much higher.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

If Final Fantasy turns into a WRPG. I would most likely quit playing games. I would be borderline depressed.

Wagram said:
If Final Fantasy turns into a WRPG. I would most likely quit playing games. I would be borderline depressed.

I'd probably rage quit.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Khuutra said:
binary solo said:
routsounmanman said:
More importantly, do you think this is going to impact its sales? I think not, the FF name is too great to bring down. It will still sell less than previous FFs though, as JRPGs are in a serious decline.

Boy, Square Enix and Wada in particular are in for a dissapointment.

What it loses in sales on PS3 it'll make up for on 360. Combining the 2 versions sales should crack 5 million no problem, and that will be plenty good enough for Square Enix.

They've said that they want it to outsell FFVII.

I'm sure they did. But that prospect died well before the metascores started rolling in.

Besides what they want, and what they will be happy to accept as a minimum measure of success aren't the same thing. If they can announce 5 million in global sales for FFXIII by the end of the year then that will be presented as a good result. It'll certainly be a profitable result.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

outlawauron said:
Wagram said:

I'd probably rage quit life.

I'll just kill Wada

They should remake a FF game with western rpg mechanics (ie. dialogue trees) for the lulz.

FF8 wrpg dialogue tree

- Whatever...
- Kill Zell for being annoying

FF7 wrpg dialogue tree

- Have sex with Aeris

- Have sex with Tifa

- Have sex with Barrett