By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GOD of War 3 To Sell 3M Before 2011 Begins? I Think So!

I believe it will happen.

2.5 mil + Guaranteed

Around the Network
leo-j said:
Uncharted 2 did it, this will do it easily

well, to put a good argue AGAINST GoW3 going 3M like Uncharted

I would say that goW3 has ... no online multiplayer ... so less replaybility !!!

also, it is not launched at Xmas ! 

Time to Work !

I expect very frontloaded sales so yes.

4 ≈ One

No prob.

I strongly believe so. The Gamestop by me is doing a midnight release and they said they already have huge pre-order numbers. As long as it's advertised well, it should get to 3+ million by 2011.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

Around the Network

i think it very well could. However it could also very easily fall just short as it isnt being released during the holiday season.

Long Live SHIO!

I expect this game to have very front loaded sales so yes this is possible but 3 mil wont be that far off from it's LTD.

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

libellule said:
ymeaga1n said:
aragod said:
ymeaga1n said:

I'll bite...I don't think it will happen. 3mill LTD... a chance of it....but this year...nope. I would in fact consider it outlandish.

The ps2 install bases when GOW1 and 2 were released were 83m and 112m respectively. That's 50m more ps2s compared to ps3s in homes when GOW1 was release and 80m more ps2 than ps3 at when GOW2 released.

I don't buy that GOW3 will all of a sudden sell the 3m in first year when the first gow took it's whole life to do that amount at over 2.5x the amount of ps2 owners.

Install base is one thing, but look at MGS series, 4th MGS sold more than 3rd, which had 6 times the install base of the 4th. I don't think it's that relevant anymore, and when you have a title that recieves great critical acclaim, good word of mouth and is enough pushed by marketing, which will be GoW3 case, it's possible.

Really? MGS3? That's like comparing Halo 3 sales to what Halo Reach will sell, instead of Halo 2.

I, like a lot of people, never cared for the prequel MGS3. Comparing MGS2, it sold 5.6m when install base was 15.5m at launch, to MGS4, sold 4.5 million when it had 12.6m install base, is a better representations for a game that is a direct sequel.

GOW2 had GREAT word of mouth and overwhelming acclaim and it was only able to see 2.6m with a 113m PS2s on the market...didn't even sell as much as GOW1. What is your justification for saying GOW3 will sell 3m within 9 months with a 33m install base? Marketing???

- GoW1/2 "bad" sales are mainly du to the fact they were on the "old" PS2 hacked and past gen console.
- GoW3 is the first GoW on PS3 (better sales)
- GoW3 is getting high praising and will get high score (high probability according to me)
- exclusivity = more hype = more sales

- PS3 not "mainstreamly" hacked yet

- Sony will push hard this one (harder than MAG/Heavy Rain)

Excuse me? "Bad" sales? According to who were the sales bad? It sold very well and there were some that pirated it.

How does GoW3 being the first game on a PS3 equate to better sales? The install base is less than half of what it was when GoW1 was released on PS2.

GoW1 and GoW2 got high praising and they didn't pull 3m in 9 months.

What does exclusivity have to do with it? GoW1 and GoW2 were both exclusive and had a 2.5x the install base....and they didnt pull 3m in 9 months.

No rpblem, Uncharted 2 did it in 4 months, GoW3 will have plenty of time to do it, and should have some decent legs the 2010 holiday season. And it has its very own bundle unlike Uncharted 2 and the demo comes out close to the actual game release unlike uncharted 2.

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

Gow of war 2 was released in 2007 when the Ps3/wii had been realeased for the year and the 360 had been released for two years, so of course this game wasn't going to sell well. I'm pretty sure gow 3 will sell much more than the first one because Gow 3 has already made a name for itself as a great game, It's already recieved critical acclaim from a lot of critics, it's the first game on the ps3, sony going to market this game much more because they have high expectations for it (hopefully).