By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is It Possible For GOD of War 3 To Sell 3M Before 2011 Begins? I Think So!

Where are all the people saying it will struggle to pass 2 million lifetime? They seem to flood every other GoW thread.

Around the Network

The reason why the first games sold what they sold is piracy, from what I can judge, pretty much every one of my friends who had PS2 had pirated these games (with every other aswell...) but they are really interested in the new GOW, so yes.

It has every chance to become one of the PS3 best selling titles with strong frontload and very good legs. So 3 mil in 8 months time is possible.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

I'll bite...I don't think it will happen. 3mill LTD... a chance of it....but this year...nope. I would in fact consider it outlandish.

The ps2 install bases when GOW1 and 2 were released were 83m and 112m respectively. That's 50m more ps2s compared to ps3s in homes when GOW1 was release and 80m more ps2 than ps3 at when GOW2 released.

I don't buy that GOW3 will all of a sudden sell the 3m in first year when the first gow took it's whole life to do that amount at over 2.5x the amount of ps2 owners.

ymeaga1n said:

I'll bite...I don't think it will happen. 3mill LTD... a chance of it....but this year...nope. I would in fact consider it outlandish.

The ps2 install bases when GOW1 and 2 were released were 83m and 112m respectively. That's 50m more ps2s compared to ps3s in homes when GOW1 was release and 80m more ps2 than ps3 at when GOW2 released.

I don't buy that GOW3 will all of a sudden sell the 3m in first year when the first gow took it's whole life to do that amount at over 2.5x the amount of ps2 owners.

Install base is one thing, but look at MGS series, 4th MGS sold more than 3rd, which had 6 times the install base of the 4th. I don't think it's that relevant anymore, and when you have a title that recieves great critical acclaim, good word of mouth and is enough pushed by marketing, which will be GoW3 case, it's possible.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising

if it sells on par with uncharted 2 then it will easily meet 3 million before 2011

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

Around the Network
aragod said:
ymeaga1n said:

Install base is one thing, but look at MGS series, 4th MGS sold more than 3rd, which had 6 times the install base of the 4th. I don't think it's that relevant anymore, and when you have a title that recieves great critical acclaim, good word of mouth and is enough pushed by marketing, which will be GoW3 case, it's possible.

Really? MGS3? That's like comparing Halo 3 sales to what Halo Reach will sell, instead of Halo 2.

I, like a lot of people, never cared for the prequel MGS3. Comparing MGS2, it sold 5.6m when install base was 15.5m at launch, to MGS4, sold 4.5 million when it had 12.6m install base, is a better representations for a game that is a direct sequel.

GOW2 had GREAT word of mouth and overwhelming acclaim and it was only able to see 2.6m with a 113m PS2s on the market...didn't even sell as much as GOW1. What is your justification for saying GOW3 will sell 3m within 9 months with a 33m install base? Marketing???

ymeaga1n said:
aragod said:
ymeaga1n said:

Really? MGS3? That's like comparing Halo 3 sales to what Halo Reach will sell, instead of Halo 2.

I, like a lot of people, never cared for the prequel MGS3. Comparing MGS2, it sold 5.6m when install base was 15.5m at launch, to MGS4, sold 4.5 million when it had 12.6m install base, is a better representations for a game that is a direct sequel.

GOW2 had GREAT word of mouth and overwhelming acclaim and it was only able to see 2.6m with a 113m PS2s on the market...didn't even sell as much as GOW1. What is your justification for saying GOW3 will sell 3m within 9 months with a 33m install base? Marketing???

- GoW1/2 "bad" sales are mainly du to the fact they were on the "old" PS2 hacked and past gen console.
- GoW3 is the first GoW on PS3 (better sales)
- GoW3 is getting high praising and will get high score (high probability according to me)
- exclusivity = more hype = more sales

- PS3 not "mainstreamly" hacked yet

- Sony will push hard this one (harder than MAG/Heavy Rain)

Time to Work !

--OkeyDokey-- said:
Where are all the people saying it will struggle to pass 2 million lifetime? They seem to flood every other GoW thread.

they begin to understand and they prefer to pass on "low profile" mode

crows are not that tasty you know ...

Time to Work !

--OkeyDokey-- said:

Lol, they finally know; never mess around wit teh cell.

Uncharted 2 did it, this will do it easily

mM